Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Becky Watts

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not recommending it, it's for discussion, and I am sure this case will bring up the debate again in the UK. Some would say that it would be a deterrent which could be a good thing.

Becky's dad said he would like to see him hang for it and that is why I brought it up.

And who could blame him. I'm against capital punishment and probably always will be, but I can't say that in his position I'd feel any differently.

Sadly, it might bring him comfort if they did swing for it but it wouldn't make it right.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm not recommending it, it's for discussion, and I am sure this case will bring up the debate again in the UK. Some would say that it would be a deterrent which could be a good thing.

Becky's dad said he would like to see him hang for it and that is why I brought it up.

"but surely with extreme cases like this there should be justification...especially when..."

That's not bringing it up for discission, you were making a case. A case for killing.

Maybe you would get a sense of satisfaction from knowing that someone you really dislike and feel deserves it is going to be killed.

You should think about that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps we could line up a swap deal for a couple of Syrian refugees?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If it was your daughter I'm sure you would want capital punishment.

No. That would make me as bad as the killer.

However, I do admit I don't genuinely know how I would feel if I ever was in that situation, and I hope I never do, but I would like to think my opinion would not change.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with this. Deliberate killing isn't the answer but completely understand the strength of feeling. Feel so sorry for the family, it's horrific.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And who sets the boundary between what is and what isn't a clear cut case?

I'm sure some sort of panel (not entirely made up of legal bods) with a specific brief to overturn any death sentences in which they could find the tiniest trace of doubt could do a job. Won't happen though.

It's time life meant solitary confinement until you die though. Until that happens there is always a risk that ultimately a groundswell of public opinion will swing towards the restitution of the death penalty - current 'life' sentences are too soft.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The.first steps to a suitable punishment is for life to mean life or 99 years with no parole or release, which ever finishes first

There is talk of some prisons being sold off could they not be upgraded to be prisons with no comforts like tv play stations perhaps at the best a radio. or even a radio or taped recorded music played over a speaker system that every body had the opportunity to listen if they wished.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's not bringing it up for discission, you were making a case. A case for killing.

Maybe you would get a sense of satisfaction from knowing that someone you really dislike and feel deserves it is going to be killed.

You should think about that.

Do behave, nothing to think about, it's not about "really disliking" someone.

You might weep for him if he was executed, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

No. That would make me as bad as the killer.

However, I do admit I don't genuinely know how I would feel if I ever was in that situation, and I hope I never do, but I would like to think my opinion would not change.

Well Beck Watts father wants him hung.

Guess that makes him as bad then.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm sure some sort of panel (not entirely made up of legal bods) with a specific brief to overturn any death sentences in which they could find the tiniest trace of doubt could do a job. Won't happen though.

It's time life meant solitary confinement until you die though. Until that happens there is always a risk that ultimately a groundswell of public opinion will swing towards the restitution of the death penalty - current 'life' sentences are too soft.

Drew would argue that you couldn't be 100% sure that she did not consent to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it was your daughter I'm sure you would want capital punishment.

My argument has always been that if anyone did anything to my family I'd want them dead, and would be prepared to do the deed myslef, but I'd expect the state to stop me because its wrong. What we want and what we should have are not the same thing. What applies to half a bottle of gin before ten in the morning applies equally to capital punishment. That reminds me . . . I'm getting a thirst on . . .

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Wanting the killer of your daughter dead does not make you as bad, killing the killer of your daughter possibly does and certainly isn’t a good thing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I don't see a problem with the victims’ relatives having the final say on execution in extreme case like this. It's too easy to get all righteous about the principles if one is not directly affected.

Life is about consequences and he knew he could carry out this horrific act without any.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Drew would argue that you couldn't be 100% sure that she did not consent to it.

.....or of course that it was all done by fairies from Mars who implanted the memories of doing it into their innocent brains......

I think we can be 100% sure she didn't consent, though, poor lass.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read a few years ago of a case in Iran, I think it was , where a man was convicted of rape and sentenced to death. The family if the girl had to chose the method of execution and chose drowning. The man was bound and put in a sack in the bucket of a JCB and the girls father was told to drive the JCB and empty the bucket into a lake, which he did.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I don't see a problem with the victims’ relatives having the final say on execution in extreme case like this.

And 5 years later after their anger, angst, sense of devastation and needing revenge has subsided and they see things in a very different light and now they are wracked with remorse because they had the final say on execution and have that burden on their collective conscience for the rest of their lives?

There is a good reason for justice being dispassionate.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And 5 years later after their anger, angst, sense of devastation and needing revenge has subsided and they see things in a very different light and now they are wracked with remorse because they had the final say on execution and have that burden on their collective conscience for the rest of their lives?

There is a good reason for justice being dispassionate.

Not forgetting the possibility of a conviction being overturned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here