Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham set to become owner of the 22nd MLS team

Oct 25, 2003
Isn't new york about 3 times the size of LA, with a lot of surrounding population as well?

According to my extensive research (wikipedia), theres about a 5m difference (23m vs 18m) in new yorks favour (metropolitan areas). I dont know enough about the two cities to make an informed opinion unfortunately.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Must be weird to be a MLS fan deciding to follow one of these teams. A bit like MK Dons fans.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
He had it in his contract when he signed for LA that he could buy a franchise for $25M. The value of MLS franchises has rocketed in this time to four times this, so Becks with his financial advisor Simon Fuller have exercised their right to buy a franchise. Naturally this decision was made in order to promote the game globally and to build up the growing popularity in the US. The man must shit gold bars, I do like him though.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Must be weird to be a MLS fan deciding to follow one of these teams. A bit like MK Dons fans.

Its all new(ish) to them though and to be fair, it is taking off pretty well. Their fans are pretty loud too, almost like subdued Ultras from Europe.

MLS games are now also shown in the UK on BT Sport and with Beckham and Man City getting involved with the MLS, popularity will continue to grow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm interested to hear the name of the new franchise. The last team in Miami flopped because they had a shit name - The Miami Fusion.

They need something hard and manly, like a hammer or a crusher. My choice - The Miami Vice.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It will be interesting.

As the Red Bulls are based in Harrison, New Jersey they attract a lot of support from NJ as well as NYC. NYCFC are planning to be located in the Bronx and will be aiming for their main support from Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. They will use Yankee Stadium as a temporary home. As they have the backing of the Yankees and Man City they will have quite a bit of financial clout. I think given the demographic of NYC, with a large Latino population there should be enough support for both teams. But, we will see

There will be a similar issue in Florida with both Beckham’s new team and Orlando FC both looking for supporters.

I know the U.S.A is pretty vast but isn't 240 miles and a 3.5 hr drive a large enough distance for seperate teams?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wonder if he has thought about putting a small part of his vast wealth into helping out one of the English Football League or Non-League teams that are struggling? I think I know the answer to that already.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I know the U.S.A is pretty vast but isn't 240 miles and a 3.5 hr drive a large enough distance for seperate teams?

Its the same(ish) distance between Brighton and Sheffield to put it into perspective and with all the clubs in the UK - i cant see it being an issue.

Even in New York, it shouldnt be an issue as 20 miles will separate the Red Bulls and NYCFC, and NYC has a population of 8 Million. You also have Newark, Jersey City and other New Jersey towns on the Red Bulls doorstep.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Beckham says he wants to start a team from scratch and build it personally. I could see this being a 'New York Cosmos-style" side stuffed with his 30-something mates from Real Madrid, AC Milan, Man Utd, PSG and the London clubs.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Beckham says he wants to start a team from scratch and build it personally. I could see this being a 'New York Cosmos-style" side stuffed with his 30-something mates from Real Madrid, AC Milan, Man Utd, PSG and the London clubs.

They'll be like the Harlem Globetrotters of the MLS. FLAIR

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He had it in his contract when he signed for LA that he could buy a franchise for $25M. The value of MLS franchises has rocketed in this time to four times this, so Becks with his financial advisor Simon Fuller have exercised their right to buy a franchise. Naturally this decision was made in order to promote the game globally and to build up the growing popularity in the US. The man must shit gold bars, I do like him though.

I'm sure that if things go wrong there will be an exit clause so that Beckham can escape without a large financial loss and The Brand's image isn't damaged.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Its all new(ish) to them though and to be fair, it is taking off pretty well. Their fans are pretty loud too, almost like subdued Ultras from Europe.

MLS games are now also shown in the UK on BT Sport and with Beckham and Man City getting involved with the MLS, popularity will continue to grow.

They also seem to be pitching the price of tickets the right way. My season ticket for Red Bulls a few years ago worked out at $25 a game (about £16). They have a lot of season ticket holder incentives and are very customer focused – all season ticket holders got a $10 credit on their cards when they screwed up the catering one week and an e mail from the owner apologizing. It will never replace watching the Albion but it’s the next best thing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm interested to hear the name of the new franchise. The last team in Miami flopped because they had a shit name - The Miami Fusion.

They need something hard and manly, like a hammer or a crusher. My choice - The Miami Vice.

If Posh has her way the name will be Miami Spice :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They'll be like the Harlem Globetrotters of the MLS. FLAIR

Miami Spice XI: 1. Casillas. 2. Alves. 3. A. Cole. 4. Ferdinand. 5. Alex. 6. Xabi Alonso. 7.Gerrard 8. Xavi. 9. Ibrahimovic. 10. Robinho. 11. Motta.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Yes it is, there will be no competition for fans, the distances are just too great. It will be interesting to see the demographics at the games. Personally i cant wait for it to happen. At the games played in preseason a reasonable proportion of the crowds were Brits living out here. There are almost 200,000 in south florida alone. Hopefully he will design a proper football stadium and not the usual American open air concrete mess.

For those that are interested, the stadium site is likely to be just across the causeway in the Port of Miami. If anyone on here has taken a cruise out of Miami they will know where this is.

Oct 25, 2003

they have quite strict wage caps over there, with only up to 3 spots for "glamour" signings (for example, when beckham was at la galaxy, most of their squad earned jack shit apart from landon donovan, beckham and robbie keane)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here