Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Beating Grimsby after extra time would be a hollow victory

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I've been a keen follower of the FA Challenge Cup since 1969. I miss the long weekends when giant killings could be savoured before the Monday lunchtime draw, made in the austere setting of FA headquarters at Lancaster Gate. I miss the exclusivity of the Wembley final. I miss the times when you fielded your strongest team no matter who you were playing. I miss the second and subsequent replays being held on neutral grounds, but those replays have been lost altogether. In my opinion, the introduction of penalty kicks to decide ties was an act of vandalism. Then came the abolition of any replays at all for the final and semi-finals . This was sold to us on the basis there was no home team to have an advantage but when this was extended to cover the 5th and 6th rounds, a line was crossed.
It was always the case that the team who had to play away could be compensated to some degree by being able to host the next 90 or 120 minutes if they were able to get the draw. It's a kind of natural justice, now denied in order to pander to the clubs with European fixtures to fulfill. If Grimsby force a 90 minute draw today then it will be muted cheers that I will greet any goals we score in extra time. Because that action should have taken place in the hostile atmosphere of Blundel Park.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I've been a keen follower of the FA Challenge Cup since 1969. I miss the long weekends when giant killings could be savoured before the Monday lunchtime draw, made in the austere setting of FA headquarters at Lancaster Gate. I miss the exclusivity of the Wembley final. I miss the times when you fielded your strongest team no matter who you were playing. I miss the second and subsequent replays being held on neutral grounds, but those replays have been lost altogether. In my opinion, the introduction of penalty kicks to decide ties was an act of vandalism. Then came the abolition of any replays at all for the final and semi-finals . This was sold to us on the basis there was no home team to have an advantage but when this was extended to cover the 5th and 6th rounds, a line was crossed.
It was always the case that the team who had to play away could be compensated to some degree by being able to host the next 90 or 120 minutes if they were able to get the draw. It's a kind of natural justice, now denied in order to pander to the clubs with European fixtures to fulfill. If Grimsby force a 90 minute draw today then it will be muted cheers that I will greet any goals we score in extra time. Because that action should have taken place in the hostile atmosphere of Blundel Park.
OK :moo:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Err, thanks.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
But how EXCITED are you for today??!!:ascarf::bounce::banana::cheery:

:kiss:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seems an odd thing in the grand scheme of things, to get hot under the collar about. It is the same for every team, had we been playing at Grimsby, then we would have also been disadvantaged. More troubling matters to clubs outside the elite would likely be greater accumulation of wealth at the top and diminishing chances of ever joining them due to the competition being based on $$$ rather than sporting merit.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
In the very first Football Association Challenge Cup in 1872, the winners Wanderers only won one match prior to to the final. Their run to the final included a third round 0-0 draw with the original Crystal Palace Club* that saw BOTH clubs progress to the semi-finals without a replay.

In the second season of the cup, Wanderers received a bye straight to the final under rules in place at the time.

Until 1990-91 season, multiple replays would be played until one team won a tie outright.

* This club is no way connected to CPFC 2010 who are a bunch of ****

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Things change, times move on, for better or worse. FA Cup replays aren't something to get worked up about in the grand scheme of things, imo like

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pompous much? :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I live in hope that Roberto saw the City game and tells the lads that truly great teams steamroller the opposition when the opportunity presents itself… a relentless winning mentality. We’re not City, but Grimsby are not Burnley… extra time should not be required if the players treat this like a PL game, let’s see if the noises we’ve (the squad/Roberto) been making this week measure up to reality, talk is cheap as they say… I expect us to ‘arrive’ and have the ambition to send a statement to City, what you can do, we can too… they need to fear us (even a little) if the draw should end with us meeting in the Semis…

Extra time, pah… this needs to be done in 90 and if we’re serious about Europe etc. we need to show our true abilities and on one of the biggest stages.

It’s time to come out of the shadows and believe we belong!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Brighton win. That’s all that matters, isn’t it ? I’ve seen a fair few wins when we have been completely outplayed and never once thought they were ‘hollow.’ Anyway, don’t the replay rules apply to all teams who entered the competition ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
1679216642664.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hollow victory? Nah - I'd be delighted to be in the semi-final. If it is a heart-stopping scary scrape-through job it will be a less enjoyable watch, that's all.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Things change, times move on, for better or worse. FA Cup replays aren't something to get worked up about in the grand scheme of things, imo like
FA Cup replays are only the good stuff from some peoples nostalgia perspective.

Had they been introduced today, everyone would think that it was all about the money. And they'd probably be right.

Never been to the FA Cup (obviously) or another cup with replays but fairly certain I would find it massively unsatisfying to go home from a game without feeling there was any conclusion at all to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here