beating Chelski

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
So does this mean Mourinho has now heard of us or do you think he doesn't really care about the youth squad?

Scott Sinclair did look pretty good for them though.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Derby or Blackburn away BG

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
BensGrandad said:
Thank you have you any dates of (a) that tie or (b) ours.

Their game is being played atm. Currently 2-1 to blackburn.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Don't want to take anything away from our win but....
Can someone please tell me this.
WHAT IS THE POINT OF CHELSEA HAVING A YOUTH SIDE?
Apart from giving our youngsters someone to play against all Chelsea do now if they want somebody is buy them.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
HAMPSHIRE DAVE said:
Don't want to take anything away from our win but....
Can someone please tell me this.
WHAT IS THE POINT OF CHELSEA HAVING A YOUTH SIDE?
Apart from giving our youngsters someone to play against all Chelsea do now if they want somebody is buy them.
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

You say that, but 3 of the players playing at Withdean last night cost £200,000 each. No guessing which side they were on.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
bailey said:
So does this mean Mourinho has now heard of us or do you think he doesn't really care about the youth squad?

Scott Sinclair did look pretty good for them though.

Of course he doesn't care, unlimited spending means he buys whatever he wants, how many youth team have made it to the full Squad since Arbramovich took over ?

None I bet !!

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
Carlton Cole is the only one I can think of - scored loads for Chelsea youth.

I heard that Sinclair has made his first team debut in the cup. Huth and Terry were also in the youth team. It has been the case that they have spent a fortune as their youth team never used to be that good. If Chelski did not give a toss about having such a good youth team why the hell would they pay spurs a fortune for Frank Arnesen ( the man who is famous for discovering some of the best young talent in the world and nurturing them into great players)???

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
From the FA website:

Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Chelsea
The FA Youth Cup Fourth Round
18 January 2006

Brighton & Hove Albion's triumphant youth team coach Dean Wilkins has predicted bright futures for a number of his young stars after watching them stun big-spending Chelsea in front of 3,000 fans at the Withdean on Tuesday night.

"We have a lot of players with bright futures," insisted Wilkins. "We are a club that needs to produce its own players and Mark McGee is a manager that is prepared to give young players a chance.

"It's an incredible amount that have come through and gone on to make their first-team debuts."

Wilkins expects a number of the current crop to move up the ranks, including Joe Gatting, son of Steve who featured in the 1983 FA Cup Final for Brighton.

Young Joe capped an outstanding performance by opening the scoring in the fifth minute, bursting through the Chelsea defence before shooting home and being bundled by his joyous team-mates (pictured). The scoreline could have been more emphatic had his header late in the game not crashed against the crossbar.

Joe, nephew of former England captain Mike, is also an exceptional young cricketer and the Chelsea defence were continually knocked for six by the Brighton forward.

"His progress in the last eight months has been very good and he really did cause problems last night. At times he took on the Chelsea defence on his own. He did a terrific job."

The visitors equalised through Scott Sinclair, a £250,000 acquisition from Bristol Rovers, but Brighton rallied and retook the lead on 20 minutes through Dan Leach, much to the delight of the bumper crowd who flocked through the gates.

Such was the interest in the game - queues snaked back some distance from the Withdean even after kick-off - that parts of the ground had to be opened up to accommodate the influx of fans.

"The club were anticipating 1,500-2,000," explained Wilkins, younger brother of former England midfielder Ray. "But in the week running up to the game, everyone was talking about it. Everyone I spoke to said they were coming. It was the biggest crowd that the players will have played in front of."

Big crowds can often make or break players, but the Brighton youngsters did not disappoint, turning in a wonderful show.

"Playing in front of so many people is a pressure they need to cope with," said Wilkins. "They have to remember the positive and negatives from this and learn from it.

"I've been here eight years and in the past players have frozen at this stage of the competition, like against Manchester City last year.

"I thought this year we had a better chance getting to the latter stages of the competition and I felt before the Chelsea game that we would win."

Wilkins is not letting himself or his players get carried away with the result and believes his starlets can still improve, which could be bad news for the winner of Blackburn or Derby, who meet Brighton in the next round.

"It was a good night, but the feedback I am expecting from the players is that they will be disappointed with how they played. Our movement, which has been outstanding, was lacking last night and we gave the ball away too quickly which meant we had to defend for long periods. But the defence played maturely and kept their shape," he added.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Wardywonderland said:
You say that, but 3 of the players playing at Withdean last night cost £200,000 each. No guessing which side they were on.

Blimey........we have players costing £2000,000 in our youth side ...........very impressive :lolol:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Christ, we don't have any players valued at £200k amongst our senior pros!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports