Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bear Grylls The Island

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Ok, it seems that there are one or two artificial aspects to the show but it still makes a mockery of 'I'm a celebrity' and in fact any other hardship shows that have gone before. I like it but the chaps involved don't seem real enough to me. Mostly middle class white collar types. Where are the builders, policemen, nurses (male), firemen and other professionals who would organise, communicate and contribute better? I mean, the fat welsh freak and the turtle baby come on!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
They're all crap, I would've had cold running water and electricity by now!

Haha funny but i don't think too far from the truth if you are an average joe Billy. I'm sure i would do fine if i was there and probably really enjoy myself (which none of them seem to be doing. Where's the humour and piss-take etc?)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I laughed my socks off when they found a length of "old " fishing net washed up then untangled it and set it in the water overnight and actually caught a decent fish in the shallows. But, the fish had allegedly been " too long in the net " and had gone off ! frankly I have never heard of fish spoiling in about 6 hours, especially if its still underwater. Absolute tosh.

Dec 29, 2011
Rupert is one of the directors of the show.
http://www.channel4.com/info/press/press-packs/rupert-smith

"Combining the roles of director and contributor was harder than I expected"

They need to orchestrate the filming to some extent. What if Channel 4 went to great expense to get these guys on an island for 1 month, then come home and realise none of it was filmed properly and there are only 2 hours of usable footage? Needs someone to keep on top of the film crew.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They need to orchestrate the filming to some extent. What if Channel 4 went to great expense to get these guys on an island for 1 month, then come home and realise none of it was filmed properly and there are only 2 hours of usable footage? Needs someone to keep on top of the film crew.

This is true! That's why he keeps going off on hunts to make it more interesting!

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Ok, it seems that there are one or two artificial aspects to the show but it still makes a mockery of 'I'm a celebrity' and in fact any other hardship shows that have gone before. I like it but the chaps involved don't seem real enough to me. Mostly middle class white collar types. Where are the builders, policemen, nurses (male), firemen and other professionals who would organise, communicate and contribute better? I mean, the fat welsh freak and the turtle baby come on!

I think they did alright at picking the people. They got a farmer, doctor, retired policeman, actor, hairdresser, plumber, call centre worker and a few camera men (I've forgotten some of them). They need a couple of lazy people to get people arguing, but they've still got some hard workers.
Hmmm episode 1 they spent two days trying to light a fire with friction and a stick, whilst the beach was littered with curved glass, which you think would be quite effective in bright sunlight.
I thought the same. And I also wondered why only three of them attempted to light a fire while the others sat around moaning about being thirsty and they only discovered coconuts in the trees next to them after they'd lit the fire and could boil water.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

Perhaps it could explain why he's starting arguments.

Dec 29, 2011
This is true! That's why he keeps going off on hunts to make it more interesting!

Perhaps it could explain why he's starting arguments.

Both true. He's an 'aspiring actor' so a more exciting show will draw more viewers making it more of a success. If he's able to say "I was director for a show that netted 5m viewers a week" that's huge for his CV. I didn't think of it like that before.

Even so, it's good viewing, but I can't help but think it's somewhat similar to Big Brother. The first series was a genuine social experiment people were interested in, and then we all know what happened in subsequent series..

Give it three series and we'll see drag queens and transgenders parading around the island looking for water and somewhere to plug in their straighteners :facepalm:

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I gave up after the first show , I could see what is happening . Surprised we haven't seen Ant and Dec yet on the island or Jeremy Kyle .

It is a bit like 'Come dine with me' and 'Four in a bed' , it started out as a reasonable cooking ability show and the quality of Bed and breakfast accommodation ,now it is all about personality and squabbling . They also seem to be very confident in front of camera's , are they actors I ask you ?

Reality shows ???? you are having a laugh !!!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The title of the show, The Island with Bear Grylls, is itself misleading, considering he's nowhere to be seen.

Judging by his repetitious, prosaic commentaries, that's probably a blessing in disguise.

Let's face it, this show is aimed squarely at entertainment, but it's hardly realistic.

So many of the events seemed staged and the creation of jeopardy (usually led in by some Psycho music) is unintentionally funny. My other half and I were betting on how many attempts they would make before the fire was lit. And how many times the group 'faced starvation'. The 'near drowning' episode was equally silly considering the sea looked most pleasant that day. Again, the drama was cranked up by some Hammer music and the handheld being waved about and dunked in the surf.

My advice: Don't expect reality, just sit back and enjoy it for what it is....

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
would laugh if there was an hidden bunker, or a McDonalds.. just need to turn this odd looking branch anti clockwise..

444614562_e0c0a9e581.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here