Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Be pleased with that point pleeeeeease...

theboybilly

A point towards staying up. Bossed the game against the team 3rd / 4th best away record in league. We played well (not as well as other games but still well). Can’t fault anybody with having a bad game at all. 7s all round with Biss and Lallana 8s imo. Yes, we didn’t create enough clear cut chances but credit Everton’s defending too - we are in the premier league ffs and Richarlison cost as much as our whole team. Not a firecracker but please just enjoy what we did in the premier league - restricted them to nothing - and playing great football with a philosophy we stick to! It’s never gonna be perfect - oh Coleman agrees re us I see eh :lol:

Up the Albion for me - a well earned dominant point no?!

Do you think sometimes we are our own worst enemies? Tonight reminded me of the Palace game where we we forcing the game but just stifling the room for ourselves making it easier for the opposition defence. In fairness Everton had their chances and were willing to cross the halfway line every 10 minutes or so unlike the anti-football from them up the road. But still, there were times when we just had too many in their box when somebody should just hang about on the edge to give us another option

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I’m used to seeing Everton playing with two strikers. Not today as they went for a point and got one. Strange for a team chasing the Europa cup place but they knew what they’d be up against. Caution ahead of ambition for the blue scousers.

Did you see there bench? They were filling gaps all over the pitch.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Webster £20,
Jahanbakhsh £13M
Moder £9.5M
Mac Allister £10M
Izquierdo £13.5M
Propper £10M
Zeqiri £3.5M
Burn £4M

Not a big money squad in terms of the PL, and no, we certainly haven't paid £50M for a player. But we have still spent some pretty hefty money - anyway, I was basically just debunking your claim that Richarlison cost more than our entire team, which was obviously a bit bollocks.

Erm it wasn’t bollocks as I said ‘team’ as in on the pitch tonight - you’ve listed our SQUAD :lol: - what I said was fairly accurate - also don’t think Moder was £9.5 mil?!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Erm it wasn’t bollocks as I said ‘team’ as in on the pitch tonight - you’ve listed our SQUAD :lol: - what I said was fairly accurate - also don’t think Moder was £9.5 mil?!
Our team on the pitch still cost more than Richarlison though, that was - and is - my point.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I enjoyed the game. I thought we played well and were the better side.

Can't see Fulham winning 3 of their last 6 and us getting nothing in our last 7.

After the last couple of games Fulham are not the worry, WBA are, they beat Chelsea at SB and just thrashed Stains, and had a ridiculous offside against them. We need to keep chipping away and should be ok, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of Newcastle, Burnley or us join Fulham and Sheffield.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Our team on the pitch still cost more than Richarlison though, that was - and is - my point.

‘ Richarlison cost as much as our whole team. ’ - I wasn’t working it out to the penny but if he’s £50mil and our team was £60mil, my throwaway comment that is roughly accurate is surely not one to nit pick at?! But yeh, whatever the exact sums, the point I was making still very much stands eh... we’re up against teams who often have ridiculously expensive squads and teams to us!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
‘ Richarlison cost as much as our whole team. ’ - I wasn’t working it out to the penny but if he’s £50mil and our team was £60mil, my throwaway comment that is roughly accurate is surely not one to nit pick at?! But yeh, whatever the exact sums, the point I was making still very much stands eh... we’re up against teams who often have ridiculously expensive squads and teams to us!

I can remember at game at Molineux when the Wolves BENCH cost more that the entire Brighton match-day squad - we had OGH [sets of tracksuits & a grand?] leading the line for us that day.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
After the last couple of games Fulham are not the worry, WBA are, they beat Chelsea at SB and just thrashed Stains, and had a ridiculous offside against them. We need to keep chipping away and should be ok, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of Newcastle, Burnley or us join Fulham and Sheffield.

Yes,there was an interesting half time chat on five live and they all felt that 36 points will be enough this season and Fulham have had their moment and despite a resurgence at West brom,they have left it too late and will run out of games before they get to 36.
They see us good for at least 5 points between now and the end of the season so they reckoned we would be ok.
But yes I agree I think West brom will certainly put the pressure on Newcastle and Burnley for the last few games but hopefully we will have got those predicted 5 points and be well safe by then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A point towards staying up. Bossed the game against the team 3rd / 4th best away record in league. We played well (not as well as other games but still well). Can’t fault anybody with having a bad game at all. 7s all round with Biss and Lallana 8s imo. Yes, we didn’t create enough clear cut chances but credit Everton’s defending too - we are in the premier league ffs and Richarlison cost as much as our whole team. Not a firecracker but please just enjoy what we did in the premier league - restricted them to nothing - and playing great football with a philosophy we stick to! It’s never gonna be perfect - oh Coleman agrees re us I see eh :lol:

As much as I completely agree you do also make a very good case for the opposite opinion.

Bossed the game.
Played well.
No obvious fault, in the team.
They defended well.
Restricted them to nothing.

As happy as we should be with a point, happier still with the clean sheet.
This is the Premier League, Newcastle aside, the team can't expect to be so dominant in games.
The Albion can't be routinely offered three points but only take one, at most.

There have been an awful lot of points left on the pitch this season, last night was two more.
Keep that up and it's the difference between being comfortably in lower mid table, thinking of the long term goal and watching other results so scared of the cost of failure.

So overall yes pleeeeeeeased with the point, less pleased about how that point came about.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
As much as I completely agree you do also make a very good case for the opposite opinion.

Bossed the game.
Played well.
No obvious fault, in the team.
They defended well.
Restricted them to nothing.

As happy as we should be with a point, happier still with the clean sheet.
This is the Premier League, Newcastle aside, the team can't expect to be so dominant in games.
The Albion can't be routinely offered three points but only take one, at most.

There have been an awful lot of points left on the pitch this season, last night was two more.
Keep that up and it's the difference between being comfortably in lower mid table, thinking of the long term goal and watching other results so scared of the cost of failure.

So overall yes pleeeeeeeased with the point, less pleased about how that point came about.

I fear that until we have a proper instinctive finisher we are going to have plenty of games just like that. The quality and coaching are all there through the side, creating good half chances against a resolute defence.

We desperately need that final piece and these games won't be as frustrating and nerve wracking. We will be talking about the odd draw where the opposition nick a late equaliser instead of a late winner. We will be looking at the gap to the team in the last Europa League spot, asking each other if we can catch the 4 point gap with 7 to play, rather than whether the 18th place side can catch us.

It's so close to being a reality!!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Indeed. If he wants to include the bench iwobi was £40M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Before the game, I would have been happy with a point, so am happy with another point towards safety.

Only gripe is the usual one of possessional dominance and very good number of shots overall, but lack of goals.

I fear we will spend another summer saying "We urgently need a quality striker in order to become a mid-table Premier League side", but then come August, GP will say he's "happy with the strikers we have", whereupon we'll spend next season struggling to score, and drawing games we really ought to win.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Before the game, I would have been happy with a point, so am happy with another point towards safety.

Only gripe is the usual one of possessional dominance and very good number of shots overall, but lack of goals.

I fear we will spend another summer saying "We urgently need a quality striker in order to become a mid-table Premier League side", but then come August, GP will say he's "happy with the strikers we have", whereupon we'll spend next season struggling to score, and drawing games we really ought to win.

With the quality we now have in midfield they should be chipping in with more goals too

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good point . Not a great watch but again had chances . Needs addressing but cant see us doing that financially .

Without bissouma reckon we would of lost that game which is a concern if he is to be sold

Would hope any money on him gets from invested in the side

Fine margins

Wba biggest threat but 3/4 points you would hope would see them off but funny old game isn’t it

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't hold your breath.

If Maupay had put away a fairly standard chance last night this board would have been buzzing and his passing was also absolutely shocking. But what was still there was his movement and workrate and general shithousery.

We absolutely could look for a more clinical striker and that might solve the issues of sticking the ball in the onion bag (though the midfield also need to contribute more). But without all the other elements to their game the chances might not be there in the first place.

The Albion are in the market for £20-£25 million strikers max, and that's pre pandemic. Right now that probably comes with selling someone. If anyone can tell me a striker who has all the other good elements Maupay possesses but is guaranteed to bang in 15-20 goals next season and can be secured for £25 million or less, I'm all ears. Perhaps [MENTION=99]B.W.[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1647]b.w.2.[/MENTION] can tell us as he ignored that question last time I asked?

el punal

Quite right. Another point to safety at the fag end of a bizarre season. Get a few more points - a win or a couple of draws - and we should be okay. It would be nice to be absolutely safe sooner than later so that we can finish the campaign with a flourish and to be able to be adventurous without the threat of relegation hanging over us.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't hold your breath.

If Maupay had put away a fairly standard chance last night this board would have been buzzing and his passing was also absolutely shocking. But what was still there was his movement and workrate and general shithousery.

We absolutely could look for a more clinical striker and that might solve the issues of sticking the ball in the onion bag (though the midfield also need to contribute more). But without all the other elements to their game the chances might not be there in the first place.

The Albion are in the market for £20-£25 million strikers max, and that's pre pandemic. Right now that probably comes with selling someone. If anyone can tell me a striker who has all the other good elements Maupay possesses but is guaranteed to bang in 15-20 goals next season and can be secured for £25 million or less, I'm all ears. Perhaps [MENTION=99]B.W.[/MENTION] or [MENTION=1647]b.w.2.[/MENTION] can tell us as he ignored that question last time I asked?

Last night knocked me off the fence. Maupay is the new Mckail-Smith. People keep mentioning his finishing, but his close control and decision making, were both of a very poor standard last night.

Have we ever had a striker who was less of a threat with his head ? We don't even bother putting the ball in the air anywhere near him now.

Yes it is unfair to single out players, but then who ever said life was fair.

Once Calvert Lewin was out, Everton decided to play like a bottom three team and defend deep, yet again we couldn't find the answer to the riddle and almost lost it late on again.

To answer the OP yes a point is good and keeps us at a safe distance from the bottom and it was a good all round team performance. Bissouma if he could shoot would be world class, instead he is very good. Ben White is also not getting the credit I think he deserves from Brighton fans. He has been flawless in covering for what has to be the slowest wing back ever to pay in that position and between them, we have not looked a push over on our right side.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We could do nothing in their box, they essentially ‘did a BHA on us’ falling back en masse into defence each time we were into the last third, very well drilled. A good and useful point and don’t agree with all the slating of NM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here