“Be careful what you wish for Brighton fans” - How the football world owes us an apology

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wished for a team that played football that I enjoyed watching again, job done. My expectations were no higher and I fully expected to be in a relegation battle. Expectations for next season are lower mid table and occasionally handing out a bit of a thrashing with a genuine PL strike force.

I think Potter can deliver this

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get what your saying, but I really can't see B'mouth getting any more than 5 pts, and that's being generous. Likewise Villa, lose to Liverpool and I can't see them getting any more than 7 or 8.

Plus, we are more than capable of picking up points in our last 3 matches.

Relax a little!

Especially when you take into account the 4 games between teams below us.........there is no way 3 of them will get the points required (even assuming we get no more points, which is unlikely).

West Ham - Norwich, Watford and Villa
Watford v Norwich

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
CH had got as far as he could with us and being labelled with playing anti football was humiliating.
He will always be remembered for getting us to the promised land and keeping us there.
If he was allowed another season we would have been relegated. TB also realised this and took steps to prevent this, whilst also keeping CH's integrity intact. A Premeir League relegation stat does not look impressive on a resume.
I know we are probably safe now, but jury still out on GP for me, a few good games, but plenty of crap ones as well. No consistency in the style of play and results and dare I say it, some of the good results were probably fluked.
A 'lucky dip' like form of team selection and players out of position, all smacks of pre season experimentation. Will be interesting to see how we go next season, though I am well happy with my , not getting relagated bet winnings, though the odds will be a bit shorter next season.

"Some of the good results were probably fluked" reminds me of the quote attributed to any number of golfers, including Lee Trevino and Tony Jacklin - "It seems the more I practice, the luckier I get."

He knows his players and what they can do. Even since lockdown we battled on until the end against an entitled Arsenal - 90+5����⚽️. And then when we were being hammered by Manure he made changes in the second half which at least rescued some pride, and if they hadn't scored the third early in the second half who knows what might have happened.

el punal

I don't agree.

Firstly, the team isn't safe yet. Let's not jump the gun.

Secondly, there were many Albion fans of the same opinion. Chris did do an incredible amount for the club and I would not have had a problem with him starting the next season with a re-vamped team.

They may be proved wrong in the long term, but I never felt antipathy to what is merely opinion then or now. It is just their view- and there was reasonable cause for them to think that way.

I can't see why someone needs to apologise for simply having a benign opinion. If that is the case then I would spend most of my life in a sorry state where football is concerned.

“Firstly, the team isn’t safe yet . . .” Mathematically, no, realistically, yes. I would say with some confidence that we are safe. The bottom three teams are 9 points adrift of us with a huge inferior goal difference, effectively making that gap 10 points. West Ham play Villa for the last fixture thus cancelling out one or the other with the result. Since the restart West Ham are the only team (I believe) to have won a game amongst the bottom 5 clubs.

Barring a monumental collapse by us and a God-like intervention from above for the current relegation strugglers to win every remaining game we should be okay. I somehow don’t think that that is going to happen. I will keep my fingers crossed though. :D

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I agree with both of you, Hughton was sacked because of the dire performances at the back end of last season it was the right time for him to go, but prior to that debacle we had beaten Man Utd, West Ham, Wolves, Palace and Everton all at home last season.

This season we have lost at home to Southampton, Leicester, Sheffield United (VAR saved us from a 0-3 thrashing), Palace and Man Utd with Man City and Liverpool to come.

Yes, the football has been more pleasing on the eye this season especially away from home having said that we have only managed three wins the same as last year, remember Fulham lasagne t season played attractive football but got relegated.

2019/20 36 pts thus far.
2018/19 36 pts
2017/18 40 pts

We have been relying on teams being worse than us rather than our own endeavours, Norwich, Villa, Bournemouth and Watford all poor.

I fully expect Potter to push on next season, the football world doesn't owe us feck all, which is what this thread is about. :shrug:

Potter was a gamble that appears to be working, but it could so easily have gone sour very quickly, Potter still doesn't know his best team, I'm hoping next season will see us comfortably sitting in mid-table.

P.S. Lamptey is the buy of the decade £3m :mad:

This thread is about the outrage at the sacking of Hughton and the incredulous reaction to us expecting more than 17th and dire football so yes, they do owe us a nod of recognition.

I’m afraid we’ll be relying on there being three teams worse than us for a few seasons yet. There are five at the moment, and look at what West Ham, Bournemouth and Villa have spent of you want to talk about wasting money (Jordan Ibe anyone?). At least we’ve turned a corner from that side so desperately hoofing the ball down the pitch at White Hart Lane last April.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
This thread is about the outrage at the sacking of Hughton and the incredulous reaction to us expecting more than 17th and dire football so yes, they do owe us a nod of recognition.

I’m afraid we’ll be relying on there being three teams worse than us for a few seasons yet. There are five at the moment, and look at what West Ham, Bournemouth and Villa have spent of you want to talk about wasting money (Jordan Ibe anyone?). At least we’ve turned a corner from that side so desperately hoofing the ball down the pitch at White Hart Lane last April.

I’ll see your Jordan Ibe and raise you a Dominic Solanke (was it really 22 million)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Be careful what you wish for? I can't say I wished for the dire shite we dished up at times this season.

Great timing by the OP after thumping the mighty Norwich today, how smug and arrogant we have become being the 10th biggest spenders in Europe buying mostly crap!

Lamptey on the other hand has been the bargain of the decade.

Be careful what you wish for? Mid table mediocrity would be a start..:shrug:

It’s been nice knowing you, NeilBard

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
10th biggest spenders in Europe and we are hanging on by the skin of our teeth, easy to post this shite when we are now probably safe, Potter ain't the messiah.

Webster decent but can be a liability at the back, Maupay decent purchase from Brentford to be fair has done well, Trossard erratic performer hasn't always made the starting line up, Mooy another bargain basement buy at £5M.

I'm amazed how we are the 10th biggest spenders in Europe, it's a scattergun approach by Potter same as his team selection..:shrug:

I think if you factor in the wage bill (the real cost) we're nowhere near top 10. And CH also spent a lot of money

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kinda. This is very clumsy. We've hardly won the league and nobody knows how we'd have done with CH in charge.
That's the point - We do know how we'd have done with CH in charge.
We know exactly what would have happened, and how.
If everything else stayed the same, we'd still be 'celebrating' Premier League survival, but by christ it wouldn't have been pretty.

I reckon most Albion fans, if they're honest, would say this season has been a slight disappointment.
It all depends how you set your metric.

If you set it up against Watford away and Spurs at home - which I occasionally do, I have been slightly disappointed.

When I think back to the incredible predictability of the exact same 11 players grinding out a close contest, then one sub at 65 minutes, one 10 minutes later with a final throw of the dice in injury time, verses the mania from 2pm onwards, I couldn't be happier.

I'll hazard a guess, despite that sounding harsh, like most of this board, I love Mr Hughton, I always will.
I totally respect him, his considerable honour goes unblemished and I wish I could be half the man he is.

But times change, the Albion have moved forward and there's no denying the amount of forward progress this season.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Signing crap? Potter has signed Webster, Maupay, Trossard and Mooy - all regulars. Compare that to Locadia, jahanbakhsh, Andone et al.

Fairly sure that Potter doesn't sign players.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

I agree, but we did manage 15th position under Hughton I seem to remember, and yes it was time for him to go, a nod of recognition maybe but certainly not an apology.

I think we were all a bit shocked at his sacking although not surprised.

In my opinion I think we need to wait a few seasons before we start to eulogize Potter, hoping for mid table next season. :wink:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
10th biggest spenders in Europe and we are hanging on by the skin of our teeth, easy to post this shite when we are now probably safe, Potter ain't the messiah.

Webster decent but can be a liability at the back, Maupay decent purchase from Brentford to be fair has done well, Trossard erratic performer hasn't always made the starting line up, Mooy another bargain basement buy at £5M.

I'm amazed how we are the 10th biggest spenders in Europe, it's a scattergun approach by Potter same as his team selection..:shrug:

I am pretty sure we were not the 10th biggest spenders in Europe last summer (just looked it up, we were 28th in Europe and 10th in Premier League last summer). I am sure I have seen that stat and it is based on net spend since we were promoted. You can hardly blame Potter for the previous two seasons.

And it is hardly a scattergun approach. We bought four players in the summer and one in January (we had already signed Mac Allister the previous season). Lamptey has been brilliant in his three games so far. Webster struggled for a bit but has been pretty good generally. Mooy is definitely good value. Trossard has been good at times and I am confident will improve. And Maupay has done very well, especially when you compare to the likes of Joelinton and Haller.

For someone who claims to have no issue with Potter, you are certainly desperate to criticise him, often with no cause

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Kinda. This is very clumsy. We've hardly won the league and nobody knows how we'd have done with CH in charge.
I reckon most Albion fans, if they're honest, would say this season has been a slight disappointment.

Don't think you will find many Albion fans sharing your view. I (and I imagine many others) wanted to stay up with a bit more comfort, see a clear change in style of play and start to use some of our younger players. The last two have been achieved and the first one is looking very likely. Very successful for me

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don't think you will find many Albion fans sharing your view. I (and I imagine many others) wanted to stay up with a bit more comfort, see a clear change in style of play and start to use some of our younger players. The last two have been achieved and the first one is looking very likely. Very successful for me

I’m super pleased we’re going to match our first stint in the top flight. Any other old seagulls thinking similarly. And we nearly made the cup final too. Just need to sign a striker called Smith next. It’s all going to plan!!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I am pretty sure we were not the 10th biggest spenders in Europe last summer. I am sure I have seen that stat and it is based on net spend since we were promoted. You can hardly blame Potter for the previous two seasons.

And it is hardly a scattergun approach. We bought four players in the summer and one in January (we had already signed Mac Allister the previous season). Lamptey has been brilliant in his three games so far. Webster struggled for a bit but has been pretty good generally. Mooy is definitely good value. Trossard has been good at times and I am confident will improve. And Maupay has done very well, especially when you compare to the likes of Joelinton and Haller.

For someone who claims to have no issue with Potter, you are certainly desperate to criticise him, often with no cause

I can't argue with that, it is the net spend since we got promoted, but very much doubt if Hughton or Potter had the final say on any player purchases.

As a supporter I pay my money and if I feel Hughton or Potter deserve criticism I will give it, football is all about opinions.

I commented earlier that I feel Potter will be much improved for his first season in the PL, next season is something to look forward too. :thumbsup:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can't argue with that, it is the net spend since we got promoted, but very much doubt if Hughton or Potter had the final say on any player purchases.

As a supporter I pay my money and if I feel Hughton or Potter deserve criticism I will give it, football is all about opinions.

I commented earlier that I feel Potter will be much improved for his first season in the PL, next season is something to look forward too. :thumbsup:

Fair enough. It just seems odd to criticise transfer approach if you think that Hughton/Potter have no involvement. As you say, let's hope for more improvement next season.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Happy to admit that over his career Ian Wright has gone from full time knobber in my book to utter legend.
The bloke not only oozes football he gets it from the perspective of the fan who has to sit in the stadium week in week out- the people that make the game a spectator sport.
I really hope he gets the MOTD gig when Lineker retires.

He's been great on the radio for quite a few years now - never trying to deliberately aggravating (unlike other presenters), with a real love for the game and the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports