Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

“Be careful what you wish for Brighton fans” - How the football world owes us an apology

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What a load of sanctimonious claptrap, the people who are owed an apology are the supporters, its been dire at times this season, how soon people forget when we are virtually safe.

Villa @ home, Palace @ home, Southampton @ home, Leicester @ home, Sheffied Utd @ home all defeats.

West Ham @ home, Burnley @ home, Wolves @ home, Chelsea @ home (decent), Watford @ home all draws..

Yes we have played well at times but not enough times, unless you attended the Spurs, Everton or Chelsea games this season which sadly I didn't then you would have been a tad peeved.

The two hundred and twenty mile round trip to watch the Albion this season has been a tad disappointing to say the least.:shrug:

It's almost like you think we have a divine right to win and play really well at this level. Might I suggest a Liverpool shirt and a bar stool in the Red Lion? It'll be cheaper and much more satisfying.

If we get a point in an away I go to then a) it's a result and b) chances are I won't remember it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What a load of sanctimonious claptrap, the people who are owed an apology are the supporters, its been dire at times this season, how soon people forget when we are virtually safe.

Villa @ home, Palace @ home, Southampton @ home, Leicester @ home, Sheffied Utd @ home all defeats.

West Ham @ home, Burnley @ home, Wolves @ home, Chelsea @ home (decent), Watford @ home all draws..

Yes we have played well at times but not enough times, unless you attended the Spurs, Everton or Chelsea games this season which sadly I didn't then you would have been a tad peeved.

The two hundred and twenty mile round trip to watch the Albion this season has been a tad disappointing to say the least.:shrug:

The results don’t always match the performances though do they. We were far better than West Ham, Burnley, Palace and Watford but we just couldn’t put them away, we matched Southampton comfortably despite having 10 men for 70 minutes in stifling temperatures.
Also, we were crap against Villa but that doesn’t mean you can just start inventing results. Check your facts .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The results don’t always match the performances though do they. We were far better than West Ham, Burnley, Palace and Watford but we just couldn’t put them away, we matched Southampton comfortably despite having 10 men for 70 minutes in stifling temperatures.
Also, we were crap against Villa but that doesn’t mean you can just start inventing results. Check your facts .

We were pretty crap at Norwich and won.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes. Hughton was a far higher profile than Potter.

Whether Hughton would have had a better season with two or three top additions to the team (particularly midfielders who could boss the midfield, get into the penalty area and chip in with a fair few goals) we'll never know. You don't know; I certainly don't; even Uncle Tony doesn't - he backed his hunch that the change to Potter would be the best thing, and it seems to have worked out OK - but nobody will ever know what would have happened if Hughton had gone again with the right additions. You may have an opinion, but that's all it is.

we would be awash with time traveling tourists if the machine got invented in the future, but we're not

the majority of objective observers would think that hughts would sign some cloggers, play antifootball, and get relegated

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It's almost like you think we have a divine right to win and play really well at this level. Might I suggest a Liverpool shirt and a bar stool in the Red Lion? It'll be cheaper and much more satisfying.

If we get a point in an away I go to then a) it's a result and b) chances are I won't remember it.

We don't have a divine right to win at this level, but we do seem to just accept our fate of relegation battle after relegation battle and we are like peasants if we achieve a win scraps from the table.

Bloom has a vision, and I personally do think Potter will come good, otherwise what is our alternative another shite load of years in the lower leagues.

Your suggestion about a Liverpool shirt and a bar stool in the Red Lion wouldn't be cheaper or more satisfying, red doesn't suit me and I drink like a fish.. :drink:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We don't have a divine right to win at this level, but we do seem to just accept our fate of relegation battle after relegation battle and we are like peasants if we achieve a win scraps from the table.

Bloom has a vision, and I personally do think Potter will come good, otherwise what is our alternative another shite load of years in the lower leagues.

Your suggestion about a Liverpool shirt and a bar stool in the Red Lion wouldn't be cheaper or more satisfying, red doesn't suit me and I drink like a fish.. :drink:

Your first sentence is the very reason why Hughton was released and Potter was hired.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
we would be awash with time traveling tourists if the machine got invented in the future, bit we're not

the majority of objective observers would think that hughts would sign some cloggers, play antifootball, and get relegated

You think that; that's your opinion. Fair enough.

No idea what all that chunder about time travellers is about. They could have no more than an opinion either, unless they came from a parallel universe in which TB hadn't sacked Hughton, which is a different matter altogether.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Fair enough Villa was a draw, but teams stand or fall on results and we have been lucky this season, our luck will run out soon if we are not careful.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with the sentiment, but we are not safe yet.

Only mathematically. You are either an actuary or superstitious or both to post that.

Or, actually, let's put this to the test. Name me the two teams that will overtake us and how much you're prepared to back that up with on a REMF bet? I'll match you.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Chris Hughton laid the ground work for this team

Second half of last season the energy had gone and it felt like a downward spiral, a particularly weak opposition allowed us to survive

The sacking of CH felt brutal and the fans never really had the chance to say goodbye or thank you

For the first time we invested in experienced championship players including Webster and Maupay plus Mooy who have adapted to PL

Potter has been a model of consistency and always stuck to his guns and that has made it simple to understand for the squad

Potter has not been afraid to give young players a chance and has lowered the average age of the squad and increased the value of the squad. This for me has given me the most pleasure.

We have had lots of players out on loan this year and Ithink we will reap the benefit next year

I e loved this season and never lost faith in Potter but will never forget Chris Hughton achievements and the fact that he is a thoroughly decent man and the world needs them at the moment particularly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Only played well 3 times ? Watford away ? Arsenal away ? Great draws at Sheff Utd and Wolves ?

I’ll never slate CH for what he brought to the club but it was 100% the right decision to move on IMO. Potter has had to mix ambition and pragmatism throughout the season - learning all the time - to make sure we stay up whilst progressing - in that he’s done a remarkable job in his first year. I’m utterly convinced we would have been doomed under CH this season. Even the drab games this season don’t compare with the total dross we suffered later last season.

No-one needs to apologise to me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The pundits and other busibodies didn’t have to endure the many months of losing, being outplayed football. We did. Cardiff FFS giving us a lesson in how to play football, on our patch.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I got the distant impression that TB was content with the job done by CH earlier last season eg at Christmas. It was the farce in the ensuing months, capped by 0-5 to Bmuff, that changed TB’s mind.

The vast majority of us liked and respected CH as our manager, but lost every ounce of enjoyment in attending Amex PL matches in the second half of last season. Many, including loyal supporters on NSC, starting to skip the odd fixture or two.

It was time for a new direction.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You think that; that's your opinion. Fair enough.

No idea what all that chunder about time travellers is about. They could have no more than an opinion either, unless they came from a parallel universe in which TB hadn't sacked Hughton, which is a different matter altogether.

i'm just bemused as to why people keep saying, "but you don't know what will happen in the future". well, obviously.

so you're left with probabilities, and they are,

quality players don't sign for perpetual rele scrappers,

hughts would field the old hands playing negative football,

and we go down

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't agree.

Firstly, the team isn't safe yet. Let's not jump the gun.

Secondly, there were many Albion fans of the same opinion. Chris did do an incredible amount for the club and I would not have had a problem with him starting the next season with a re-vamped team.

They may be proved wrong in the long term, but I never felt antipathy to what is merely opinion then or now. It is just their view- and there was reasonable cause for them to think that way.

I can't see why someone needs to apologise for simply having a benign opinion. If that is the case then I would spend most of my life in a sorry state where football is concerned.

We are safe. Stop being soft. The teams down the bottom are awful with real tough run ins. Put your feet up its done and dusted.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fair enough Villa was a draw, but teams stand or fall on results and we have been lucky this season, our luck will run out soon if we are not careful.

We’ve had our fair share of bad luck too, should have beaten Palace away and Newcastle away, could easily have had a points at Villa, Tottenham and even Liverpool.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
i'm just bemused as to why people keep saying, "but you know what would will happen in the future". well, obviously.

so you're left with probabilities, and they are,

quality players don't sign for perpetual rele scrappers,

hughts would field the old hands playing negative football,

and we go down

WTF are you arguing about/for? You have an opinion; I agree you have an opinion. Therefore there is no argument.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Only mathematically. You are either an actuary or superstitious or both to post that.

Or, actually, let's put this to the test. Name me the two teams that will overtake us and how much you're prepared to back that up with on a REMF bet? I'll match you.

Three teams need to overtake us for us to be relegated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here