BDO "world championship"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
We all know there is a difference in standard between the PDC and the BDO but so is there between the PL and the rest of the footballing pyramid. If you are slagging off the BDO you are effectively saying that the grass roots of darts counts for nothing, just the same as slagging off all levels of football below the PL.
The PDC needs the BDO to recruit the best up and coming talent such as Bunting. The BDO lacks the competitive sharpness of the PDC, relying on county and international matches to spot talent. Young players need the platform of the BDO to get noticed. In case you've forgotten, it was only relatively recently that MVG came through the BDO and before him many others.
There are good players at the Lakeside and there will continue to be good players coming through. They can't start their careers in the PDC, they have to earn their place via the BDO. It is the training ground for future stars.
Please don't take the lazy route and keep slagging off the BDO...' Oh its rubbish....I don't watch it...I switched off after 5 mins etc etc '
Just like the football league was here before the PL came along and became the centre of the Universe, so the BDO was here before the PDC. Darts players wanted more money and with encouragement from outside sources engineered the rift in the game that exists today. The two bodies can work side by side like football but SKY has got its ugly grubby mits on the game like football and created elitism.
Taylor, Van Barneveld, MVG, Anderson and many others owe a big debt of gratitude to the BDO for getting them started and getting them noticed and nothing will change in that respect. Without the BDO, darts has a limited future.
Erm....no

The PDC do not recruit players from the BDO any more.
Nor can BDO players, however good they are, simply move across to the PDC.
The organisations are entirely separate and to play PDC darts you have to earn a tour card in their annual qualifying event.
Young players can in deed start their careers in the PDC in this way.
Many will start in the BDO as the opportunities are far greater but they don't have to.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We all know there is a difference in standard between the PDC and the BDO but so is there between the PL and the rest of the footballing pyramid. If you are slagging off the BDO you are effectively saying that the grass roots of darts counts for nothing, just the same as slagging off all levels of football below the PL.
The PDC needs the BDO to recruit the best up and coming talent such as Bunting. The BDO lacks the competitive sharpness of the PDC, relying on county and international matches to spot talent. Young players need the platform of the BDO to get noticed. In case you've forgotten, it was only relatively recently that MVG came through the BDO and before him many others.
There are good players at the Lakeside and there will continue to be good players coming through. They can't start their careers in the PDC, they have to earn their place via the BDO. It is the training ground for future stars.
Please don't take the lazy route and keep slagging off the BDO...' Oh its rubbish....I don't watch it...I switched off after 5 mins etc etc '
Just like the football league was here before the PL came along and became the centre of the Universe, so the BDO was here before the PDC. Darts players wanted more money and with encouragement from outside sources engineered the rift in the game that exists today. The two bodies can work side by side like football but SKY has got its ugly grubby mits on the game like football and created elitism.
Taylor, Van Barneveld, MVG, Anderson and many others owe a big debt of gratitude to the BDO for getting them started and getting them noticed and nothing will change in that respect. Without the BDO, darts has a limited future.

We're talking about how on earth the BDO event can be called a world championship without inviting ridicule. What are you talking about? What you are saying makes no sense. Grass roots football doesn't hype itself as the World Cup.

The BDO were around a long time before the PDC, if they want to continue using the term World Championship then why shouldn't they?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
if they want to continue using the term World Championship then why shouldn't they?

Because quite obviously it isn't the best in the world?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stop being a drama queen and look at the averages

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nobody is saying the BDO has no place or isn't important and serve a purpose, just that it shouldn't pretend it is something it is not. It was once the world championship, it no longer is.

It provides players, but you wouldn't get a football feeder league claiming it was the pinnacle for a player.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The BDO bang on about the PDC being all about the money, and the BDO is about the history and tradition of the game and then they go and sell BT Sport the rights to show the evening sessions. I don’t dislike the BDO, but I find their criticisms of the PDC a bit flimsy. Personally I think they both have a role to play, and would like the BDO and PDC combine. I think it would great as it would make a much clearer route for players to progress from amateur to professional. What a sport it would be with the money and sponsorship the PDC can draw in, but the grass roots attention the BDO provide.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My favourite BDO player of all time is Tony David. Suffering a blood condition, he couldn't extend his arm properly yet still managed to win the whole thing in 2002. Even better was Tony Green managing to call him Tony Davis as he threw the winning dart. Amateur hour all round.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The joke that is the BDO is the gift that keeps on giving:

Top seed James Wilson suffered a shock 3-1 defeat by Swedish supermarket manager Peter Sajwani in round one of the BDO World Championships.

The 42-year-old from Huddersfield raced to the first set but his finishing then deserted him, allowing qualifier Sajwani to seal a famous victory.

This is the same Peter Sajwani whose preliminary match opened the BDO tournament. In that match Sajwani - the reigning Torremolinos Open champion - took 27 darts to win his first leg. His three-dart average in winning 3-0 was just 73.62.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Is it just my imagination or are the doubles and trebles on the BDO board larger than their PDC equivalents?

Is it just my imagination or are the doubles and trebles on the BDO board larger than their PDC equivalents?

They are the same, in fact up to a few years ago people were convinced the PDC board had bigger scoring zones.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think the 'World championship' tag derives from the fact that unlike the PDC one, this competition is open for any dart player of any level (aside from the PDC) around the globe to enter, making it a truly world championship.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think the 'World championship' tag derives from the fact that unlike the PDC one, this competition is open for any dart player of any level (aside from the PDC) around the globe to enter, making it a truly world championship.

That makes no sense. The clue is in the title WORLD CHAMPIONship.

There are lots of sports events all over the place which have global participation which aren't called World Championship. Here in my office, I have Americans, South Africans, Germans, Irish and Italians. If we had a kick around outside, would that make it a World Championship?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports