hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Football might take notice if England fans are not involved.

Football didn't take any notice of England when they failed to qualify in 1974, 1978, 1994, 2004 and so on, or when they left the tournament in Brazil in 2014 approximately five days after arriving.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Football didn't take any notice of England when they failed to qualify in 1974, 1978, 1994, 2004 and so on, or when they left the tournament in Brazil in 2014 approximately five days after arriving.

I believe he meant that football will take notice of the violence when it doesn't involve England - i.e. they can't just dismiss it as 'The English playing up again'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I believe he meant that football will take notice of the violence when it doesn't involve England - i.e. they can't just dismiss it as 'The English playing up again'.

Fair enough.

There's plenty of violence in European and South American football though on a far greater scale than in England I think.

It becomes fashionable in our media to report it large during major tournaments. If six or eight people are arrested on a Saturday night in Blackpool or Brighton for being pissed up and acting like tits the police would consider it a reasonably quiet night. When it happens in the Euros or at the WC it becomes headline news.

The Russian attack is perhaps in a different league, but wasn't there the same degree of coverage after Millwall made a run at Barnsley at Wembley, for example, where some of the scenes were not hugely dissimilar from last weekend.

Millwall-v-Barnsley-violence-537983.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How plausible does a Sky engineered 'breakaway' tournament sound?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How plausible does a Sky engineered 'breakaway' tournament sound?

Think it would struggle.

Murdoch doesn't own the governments of countries such as France or Germany in the same way he does here in the UK, so has less influence. Suspect he could easily buy the loyalty of many African countries, South America is an unknown.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think it would struggle.

Murdoch doesn't own the governments of countries such as France or Germany in the same way he does here in the UK, so has less influence. Suspect he could easily buy the loyalty of many African countries, South America is an unknown.

True, but Shirley there's enough dissatisfaction around for a rival 'new broom - clean sweep' tournaments, that just so happens to be broadcast on Sky/Fox etc.

They'd 'only' need enough of Germany, Spain, France & Italy along with England for everybody else to fall into place.

I'd be very surprised if meetings, however informal, haven't already been had.
No need to introduce Murdoch as it's a dead cert he'd get behind an eventual deal.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
True, but Shirley there's enough dissatisfaction around for a rival 'new broom - clean sweep' tournaments, that just so happens to be broadcast on Sky/Fox etc.

They'd 'only' need enough of Germany, Spain, France & Italy along with England for everybody else to fall into place.

No need to introduce Murdoch as it's a dead cert he'd get behind an eventual deal.

If someone wanted to get behind such a deal, it could easily be the likes of YouTube or Apple. They have the cash, and need a means to monetise their products in a universal manner.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not this again.

France's Platini was the main architect of the Qatar decision and Germany's Beckenbauer was another exec behind the decision. It was also well supported by South American countries.

Given their support for the decision, I can't see France and Germany doing anything to disturb the status quo.

England could call for a boycott but I really can't see England having that much influence in the world

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Agree boycott the next 2 world cups
6 English lads get jailed in France and not 1 Russian, it's a complete farce
Then to make it worse on the news they showed you German & Ukraine fans fighting in town square, bottles and plastic chairs (once again)being thrown at opposing fans, and we as a nation are apparently one more street brawl away from being kicked out of the competition
Time to leave the EU, UEFA & FIFA
We are then going to playing with ourselves for a long time, until everyone comes round to our ways.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Getting a Murdoch deal for a rival tournament would be out of the frying pan, and into the fire. At least FIFA is reforming a bit, albeit slowly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports