Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC TV News' match preview fails to state that it's women's football

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry, you’ve lost me. Why would we be not playing until March? You seem to be in belligerent mood this evening. Not sure if this is connected with your username.
No it's not.

England women are playing tonight. England men aren't because there's a full PL programme on. Only an idiot would get it wrong. Or a sexist.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No it's not.

England women are playing tonight. England men aren't because there's a full PL programme on. Only an idiot would get it wrong. Or a sexist.
Bit harsh, mate. I don’t see anyone being sexist.

Reactions: cjd

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A very deliberate marketing ploy, age old, not limited to the genders.

Another example would be a vague news heading drawing you in. The Argus is the master of this, deliberately not mentioning the location of non Brighton/Hove news … so that people click on it. Only to be disappointed that the missing tortoise was in Bognor Regis.
Ah …I spy middle ground with this post 👍

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Meanwhile….its still Luton 3 Arsenal 3 …..and although England won massive they didn’t reach the semi’s….and that’s not sexist

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. I’m afraid some of the marketing is deliberately misleading.

Has always been the way, but it has probably got worse, the BBC is so ‘commercial’ these days …. wall to wall self publicity for fkn Strictly starting 1st August each year. This was mentioned in R5’s Nicky Campbell licence fee debate yesterday.

[Big fan of the BBC here, before I get accused of the opposite].

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have, but I don’t see anything sexist. Slightly pendantic, perhaps, but not sexist.
He expected it himself :lolol:

Normally, when that happens........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001t4c4/bbc-news-at-six-05122023. 22:50 in

I thought it must be an under 21 fixture but it was only when I checked the listings to see if the postponed Alfreton V Walsall FA Cup tie was scheduled again that I realized it wasn't men's. It's as if the BBC feel guilty about always referring to men's football as just 'football' for a century so decided to redress the balance! I now expect to get slated for being sexist.
BTW that FA Cup* tie is on the red button and will be on iPlayer later.

* Sorry, should have said "Men's FA Cup".

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Has always been the way, but it has probably got worse, the BBC is so ‘commercial’ these days …. wall to wall self publicity for fkn Strictly starting 1st August each year. This was mentioned in R5’s Nicky Campbell licence fee debate yesterday.

It's the thin end of the wedge.
First they don't explicitly tell us whether the match they're showing is Women's or Men's, next thing COMMUNISTS will have taken over and we'll all be working in cobalt mines under the North Sea for expressing independent thought.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry, you’ve lost me. Why would we be not playing until March? You seem to be in belligerent mood this evening. Not sure if this is connected with your username.
When is the next international break?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I wouldn't dare to accuse you of that, and to an extent I agree.

But why shouldn't they? Every other media organisation that's considered mainstream here promotes their own content. Why should the Beeb be exempt? The answer definitely isn't 'because we pay a licence fee'. Most people pay more than that for the others, either by direct subscription, pay per view, or buying advertised products.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't dare to accuse you of that, and to an extent I agree.

But why shouldn't they? Every other media organisation that's considered mainstream here promotes their own content. Why should the Beeb be exempt? The answer definitely isn't 'because we pay a licence fee'. Most people pay more than that for the others, either by direct subscription, pay per view, or buying advertised products.

The pressure of a real terms licence fee cut over the long term has driven the BBC to the relentless drip-drip-drip marketing, they’re competing with Sky etc. But I do get both arguments about the licence …. lots of folk, especially the young now never watch or listen to a BBC outlet. @clapham_gull might have an insight?

Remember there are still a swathe of vehement tight arses out there who refuse to subscribe to anything … my war generation Dad is one.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m waiting for a women’s F1 - I hazard a guess that will be way more exciting than 20 men racing around the Grand Prix circuit at Imola. 🙂
Well at least there’s half a chance they’ll actually stop and ask for directions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’m waiting for a women’s F1 - I hazard a guess that will be way more exciting than 20 men racing around the Grand Prix circuit at Imola. 🙂
So, as a serious point, I really think this depends on the sport.

Personally, I find women's tennis far better than men's (no, not because of the 'grunting' but because it's skill based, rather than strength based). Women's gymnastics is far more graceful and better to watch. Athletics is just a race, a jump or a throw, it doesn't matter who's doing it, so long as they are well matched.

When strength becomes an overall decider, I personally prefer men's sport. Cricket, football and rugby are three games where I'll watch most men's matches and almost never watch the women's.

But all three have a fan base that's growing, and deserves to see its sport on terrestrial TV. As far as I'm aware, women and people who like their sports pay exactly the same licence fee as easily triggered gammon men from Mansfield.

If you were well brought up, then, as a child, you'd share your food, playtime or toys with your friends. Why do so many men have a problem sharing their TV channel?

Especially when it's an election year, you're 25% down in the polls and desperate to create a culture war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here