Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC TV News' match preview fails to state that it's women's football

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've got a super cool trick I learned after clicking on news items that ended up being about things I'm not massively interested in.

Ready? It's brilliant. I should monetise it somehow.

I went "huh, I'm not massively interested in that" and carried on with my day.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Scotland v England tonight not give you a clue? It’s not an international break.
You answer about international football when what I said was "A headline about Bellingham or Russo is fine — I know what the story refers to. A headline about Chelsea or Brighton? No."

You seem determined to make this a row about gender politics. I'm talking about clarity of communication. It's about journalists being kind to their audience, not lecturing them. Love your reader; don't piss them off

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You answer about international football when what I said was "A headline about Bellingham or Russo is fine — I know what the story refers to. A headline about Chelsea or Brighton? No."

You seem determined to make this a row about gender politics. I'm talking about clarity of communication. It's about journalists being kind to their audience, not lecturing them. Love your reader; don't piss them off
What if it was a headline about ‘Chelsea star James’…?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The pressure of a real terms licence fee cut over the long term has driven the BBC to the relentless drip-drip-drip marketing, they’re competing with Sky etc. But I do get both arguments about the licence …. lots of folk, especially the young now never watch or listen to a BBC outlet. @clapham_gull might have an insight?

Remember there are still a swathe of vehement tight arses out there who refuse to subscribe to anything … my war generation Dad is one.

All channels promote their own programmes and have done for many years. I think perhaps people have started to notice it more, when trailers are being placed before other programmes on video on demand. The way they do it has probably changed a bit, generic "brand" type promos promoting soaps etc...

I do think it's a bit odd when a programme becomes a story on the news, but we've used to that sort of magazine news in the morning since the 80s.

But it's always been there. Used to be a continuity announcer - now it's more graphic.

They have two durations in the TV industry, the duration of the programme and the duration of the "hole" (sometimes called slot) the programme goes into.

The rest of filled with breaks, promos, "bumpers", voice overs etc.. The controversial one over the the years has been the "credit squeeze". That's where the credits are shrunk into a small box to make way for a promo promoting something else. Great if that's your programme, not so great if your name on the credits has been shrunk to an extent no-one can read it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001t4c4/bbc-news-at-six-05122023. 22:50 in

I thought it must be an under 21 fixture but it was only when I checked the listings to see if the postponed Alfreton V Walsall FA Cup tie was scheduled again that I realized it wasn't men's. It's as if the BBC feel guilty about always referring to men's football as just 'football' for a century so decided to redress the balance! I now expect to get slated for being sexist.
BTW that FA Cup* tie is on the red button and will be on iPlayer later.

* Sorry, should have said "Men's FA Cup".
Women‘s football by stealth. I much prefer the old days when it was RAMMED down our throats.

Reactions: cjd

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree 100% with the o.p. I have been confused by the tv and sport headlines that do not state that it is women’s football. It is clear the media push Women’s football as a future money spinner..
I am sick of it, I mean, no one that loves the real game would interested in the second rate offerings from a bunch of girlies.!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I went to my first women’s match last night, Wales v Germany in Swansea. Admittedly when I booked the tickets I thought I’d be watching Pascal Groß and did wonder at the time why the tickets were so cheap, but that slight cock up aside, I really enjoyed the experience. It ended 0-0, Wales gave them a really competitive game considering the disparity in experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here