Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sports Personality of the Year

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Somebody has already mentioned Calde. Can't he get the gong for one of those community thingies? (technical term)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Ian Holloway

ianholloway.jpg

Let a complete **** win it this year!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Murray, McCoy and Hamilton have already won it. For me it's a no-brainer - golden girl Jessica Ennis-Hill all the way.

She missed out to Wiggins in Olympic year 2012 so has bided her time. Now, winning the World Championships after giving birth is an incredible achievement - truly inspirational stuff.

As if that wasn't enough what could be better than a proven clean UK athlete winning the award at a time when the Olympic movement is experiencing doping hell?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Joe Root has already lost to Jessica Ennis. She won the sports personality of the year award at the school they were both at, King Ecgbert in Sheffield.
The BBC would love to have them first and second again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's not long ago that no British man had ever won the Tour de France. How about Chris Froome?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yup. And then watched on as the Russians cheated their way up the 2012 medals table as a direct result of the IAAF's years of inactivity and then collusion with the Russian Athletics Federation and its Government to dispose of its athletes doping samples. Stinks to high heaven, and has resulted in multiple athletes being cheated out of medals they would have won. And Coe was there in a senior position of authority through all of it. He failed in his job, abjectly.

Sorry, that's not good enough. If that was indeed the case, then he allowed London 2012 to go ahead in the knowledge that athletes were drugged up to the eyeballs, and did nothing. In fact Coe initally came out swinging, in full-on DENIAL mode before the extent of the cheating was fully revealed by the publishing of that report. Now its all the mealy-mouthed crap we hear from politicians promising "root and branch reforms" blah blah.

If he was was truly clueless that all this was going on, then he's not fit for purpose. If he knew about it, then he's a disgrace who should be out on his ear already. Nothing I have seen from him convinces me he's the right man for the job.

But you're assumng he had detailed knowledge of what was going on rather than being aware that things were quite right. Maybe he is somewhere between the two. If he knew, what could he have done other than resign in protest!

Finally, you haven't suggested who would be better in the job!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does anyone still actually care about it? The BBC have so little sport to show these days, they might as well award it to the tiddleywinks world champion (its more exciting than F1 at least).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Murray, McCoy and Hamilton have already won it. For me it's a no-brainer - golden girl Jessica Ennis-Hill all the way.

She missed out to Wiggins in Olympic year 2012 so has bided her time. Now, winning the World Championships after giving birth is an incredible achievement - truly inspirational stuff.

As if that wasn't enough what could be better than a proven clean UK athlete winning the award at a time when the Olympic movement is experiencing doping hell?

Seconded.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does anyone still actually care about it? The BBC have so little sport to show these day

Apart from in 2016; The Euros, Wimbledon, Match of the Day, the Olympics, F1, Six Nations, Snooker, FA Cup, the Super Bowl, World Swimming, World Gymnastics, and a few other bits and bobs and on Radio only 51 different sports live for hours virtually every day on 5 live and i quite like that Johnny Cantor and Warren on Radio Sussex every Saturday.
But agreed. Apart from that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well I enjoy the show, I enjoy watching the British sporting year in review and even in a weak year we have three or four global stars. Imagine watching the Portuguese version of SPOTY? I think Cristiano Ronaldo has won 12 years in a row.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But you're assumng he had detailed knowledge of what was going on rather than being aware that things were quite right. Maybe he is somewhere between the two. If he knew, what could he have done other than resign in protest!

Finally, you haven't suggested who would be better in the job!

I think you're defending the indefensible. Coe was, for 8 years, at the top of an organisation that was overseeing (and colluding with) a doping scandal that was going on at an industrial scale. The man he worked with side-by-side for all that time, who he referred to as "the spirit of athletics", was taking bungs from the Russians to turn a blind eye to it all (this was a man who had previous, after taking bungs from a sports marketing company who were in negotiations with the IAAF at the time over a sponsorship deal).

Coe was Vice President for 8 years while this was happening, and yet he seems as "shocked" as everyone else at the scale of it. Sorry, that's more than a vague whiff of something not being "quite right". He SHOULD have been a whistle-blower. But we shouldn't be surprised - first and foremost, he's a politician. Power and influence. He's in it for himself.

I don't know who would be better at the job. But somebody who ISN'T a Tory MP would probably be a start, I should think.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know who would be better at the job. But somebody who ISN'T a Tory MP would probably be a start, I should think.

But Coe isn't a Tory MP (I agree with the thrust of your argument though)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But Coe isn't a Tory MP (I agree with the thrust of your argument though)

Sorry, replace 'isn't' a Tory MP with 'wasn't' then. The point remains - always a politician, first and foremost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here