Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC Sports Personality Of The Year . . . Beth Mead.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It’s the dullest spectacle on the sporting calendar. I agree, get rid. Also wouldn’t exactly call the Beeb impartial these days. Has had its days.
I quite enjoyed it - more than happy to keep it.

It's funny how people on the left AND the right go on about how the BBC is impartial... 🤣🤣

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agreeing with those that say SPOTY is one of the lowlights of the sporting year, I actually voted in it for the first time ever this year.

Ronnie O’Sullivan. I enjoy snooker rather than being an avid follower, but he has this year I believe become the most successful player ever. But maybe he deserves a lifetime achievement award more than anything else.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's a simple solution. If you moaned about it this year and you recall moaning about it last year then the obvious solution is not to watch. It's not really a sporting event so why some are banging on about it being a sporting lowlight beggars belief. It highlights achievements during the year and pays respects to those past sporting stars we lost. It's just an effing award ceremony. People vote for whom they want to win. I normally watch but was otherwise engaged at the Valley but I will probably watch next year as I have done in the past.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Whilst we can't expect the winner to always be our own personal favourite as we all have different preferences when it comes to sport, I am very surprised that Matt Fitzpatrick didn't even get a nomination for being the first Brit to win a Major in god knows how long!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I'm a 40 year old white male. Never watched a full game of cricket in my life. The bits I have seen are dull as dishwasher. Games go on all day, never seems to be anyone in the stadiums and the only cricket players I could name you are David Gower, Ian Botham and Shane Warne.

But since women's footy started getting shown on terrestrial TV (we don't have Sky) I've got quite into it and we watched all the euros in our household.

I voted for Mead for SPOTY so pleased she won.
Cricket has got an image problem. It's too English, it's stuffy old men, the village green, all the ex-british colonial nations play it. How can it re-invent itself?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone who has got in front of Jakob Ingebrigtsen 150m from home and held on has lived my orgasmic wank dream. Jake Wightman doesn't need a SPOTY after that performance.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Imagine this thread if the mens team had won the Euros and the Golden boot winner SPOTY.

Ben Stokes. Nope
I'd like to think Ben and Beth Mead would both be in for a win

don't forget the award is titled 'personality' it doesn't in any way imply 'winner'

THere's not much in the blokes kickball England first team with a whiff of character or charisma.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd like to think Ben and Beth Mead would both be in for a win

don't forget the award is titled 'personality' it doesn't in any way imply 'winner'

THere's not much in the blokes kickball England first team with a whiff of character or charisma.
Andy Murray kills your point.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There's a simple solution. If you moaned about it this year and you recall moaning about it last year then the obvious solution is not to watch. It's not really a sporting event so why some are banging on about it being a sporting lowlight beggars belief. It highlights achievements during the year and pays respects to those past sporting stars we lost. It's just an effing award ceremony. People vote for whom they want to win. I normally watch but was otherwise engaged at the Valley but I will probably watch next year as I have done in the past.
All of this. Plus anyone (with a TV licence) can watch it again on BBC iPlayer, which makes the date/time it takes place irrelevant anyway!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Murray has a lovely dry sense of humour, I never understand people who say he's boring or hasn't got a personality.
That said, the award is clearly about winning something rather than "personality"
The personality in this case simply refers to a famous person or celebrity, which was a much more prominent definition/usage of the word back in the 1950s when the award was first setup. It has nothing to do with their charisma or character and is just about their sporting achievements.

You are right about Andy Murray, he is very dry and actually very funny. Similar to Steve Davis who plays up to his boring moniker superbly and is incredibly witty too.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I watched this earlier in the week. Admittedly l didn't think that any of the candidates really stood out from the pack, but l assumed that Ben Stokes would win the award by a country mile if only because he was probably the only one that a lot of voters had even heard of.

I also have reservations about any team player winning the award.

Your thoughts?
I too favour individual winners. Would have been Gadirova for me.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It really is a stupid award because it's certainly nothing to do with anyone's "personality". Sportsperson of the year was most certainly Stokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here