Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't and won't - all the time we are signed up with Nike for reasons already stated in earlier posts. The shirts Nike are selling for 70/80 quid cost just £8 to make. Yes, additional costs for distribution, VAT etc but the clubs are still making a stonking profit. A "little kids" home kit for my 2 year old grandson is £45!! (If the club had any, which they don't which from a marketing point of view is bloody daft at Xmas because some will be prepared to shell out that much. PBOBE does seem to have lost control of re-ordering!)

Anyway, i have wandered OT.

Well done Mary Earps!

SPOTY 2022 - Beth Mead
SPOTY 2023 - Mary Earps

But nobody is interested in womens football :lolol:
Fair comment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Despite the piety and faux joy by some on here, the wider public understand that Spoty has become a meaningless award. In last 5 years it has been deliberately detached from the sport consuming public due to the introduction of agendas that have little to do with “sport” and everything to do with the pursuit of a distorted vision of equality. Another beloved national institution changed beyond recognition without any consent or consultation from the powers that be.

This year so it turns out, Citeh wins team of the year, Pep wins coach of the year and Haaland international sports person. Yet, no English Citeh player is nominated for the primary shortlist……..shocking and illogical hatstandery at its finest.

Further, the fact that the BBC no longer produce voting numbers explains all you everything you need to know about Spoty’s popularity and transparency these days………

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/bbc-keeps-voting-numbers-secret-spoty/

Contrast this to only a few years ago when winners in big years would clear 250k votes to win amongst nearly a million public votes cast. A point the BBC and fat Clare, old Sue et al would reflect on during the programmes back in the day but no longer, cause aside from the wet mattress brigade no one watches it least of all votes on it. Big Mary wouldn’t have come top 3 10-15 years ago…….FACT.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

Personally speaking I don’t pay for the licence so no it’s no overall drama, and big Mary was 50/1 if you were a shrewdie in the summer and well understand the above………….
Love to the family.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Despite the piety and faux joy by some on here, the wider public understand that Spoty has become a meaningless award. In last 5 years it has been deliberately detached from the sport consuming public due to the introduction of agendas that have little to do with “sport” and everything to do with the pursuit of a distorted vision of equality. Another beloved national institution changed beyond recognition without any consent or consultation from the powers that be.

This year so it turns out, Citeh wins team of the year, Pep wins coach of the year and Haaland international sports person. Yet, no English Citeh player is nominated for the primary shortlist……..shocking and illogical hatstandery at its finest.

Further, the fact that the BBC no longer produce voting numbers explains all you everything you need to know about Spoty’s popularity and transparency these days………

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/bbc-keeps-voting-numbers-secret-spoty/

Contrast this to only a few years ago when winners in big years would clear 250k votes to win amongst nearly a million public votes cast. A point the BBC and fat Clare, old Sue et al would reflect on during the programmes back in the day but no longer, cause aside from the wet mattress brigade no one watches it least of all votes on it. Big Mary wouldn’t have come top 3 10-15 years ago…….FACT.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

Personally speaking I don’t pay for the licence so no it’s no overall drama, and big Mary was 50/1 if you were a shrewdie in the summer and well understand the above………….
:lolol: :fishing:

Some of your best work.

"Beloved National Institution". Have you been hacked by Crodo? Or just been reading too many of those "Britain was better in the past" Twitter accounts that post wistful, sepia tinted photos of policemen clipping people round the ear.

How many people on here could tell me who won it in 2009, 2013 or 2017 without Googling? It's been irrelevant for donkeys, ironically now taking centre stage because women footballers have won it twice in a row and the broflakes are exploding with righteous anger. I presume, as you don't pay a licence fee, that you neither voted, watched it, nor followed it on the BBC. Odd thing to get worked up about something you can't take part in, n'est pas?

Enjoy your Christmas. Hopefully you'll get a wind up toy, a fishing rod and some gammon.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That’s a very silly comment. If you hadn’t heard of half of them, you must go around with your eyes closed.
Apologies for not following womens football and wheelchair tennis.

I'm bang into my music but I expect if I watch the top of the pops christmas special I won't know 2/3rds of the acts in the hit parade....am I walking round with my fingers in my ears as well as my eyes closed?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm bang into my music but I expect if I watch the top of the pops christmas special I won't know 2/3rds of the acts in the hit parade....am I walking round with my fingers in my ears as well as my eyes closed?
In that situation would you also call it 'Woke' (as you did with the Sports Personality nominees you didn't know), or is that only saved for if the people you haven't heard of fall into a certain category of society?

If it's white male musicians you haven't heard of then that would just be "it's not my cup of tea".....but if they are female.....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The BBC covered the woman’s World Cup didn’t they. Shame they didn’t have the rights to the cricket.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
England’s best player in the first side to reach the football World Cup final for over 50 years. It had to be her really.

The rise and rise of women’s football is fantastic. If it makes more young girls want to do sport then I am all for it. I have twin teenage daughters. One is sport mad and playing hockey for decent adult team at 13 while the other hates sport. The life experiences the sport mad one gets have been fantastic. We try our best to give the other one opportunities but it is hard work and forced rather than the most natural thing in the world. Sport teaches kids so much that is useful in life. Hard work pays off, resilience when struggling, team work, succeeding, failing etc etc. also very healthy.
Exactactly! My daughter was inspired to cycle by Victoria Pendleton when she watched the Olympics when she was six. My daughter is now 21 and cycling has had a massive inpact in her life, she raced all over Europe and is doing a sports science degree.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
World champion heptathlete though! World champion! Anyway.
I agree, phenomenal achievement but in the public eye they need to do it at an Olympics. Similar to how Andy Murray didn’t win it when he won the US Open but did for winning Wimbledon. Or Flintoff for beating the Aussies but not South Africa.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I don't and won't - all the time we are signed up with Nike for reasons already stated in earlier posts. The shirts Nike are selling for 70/80 quid cost just £8 to make. Yes, additional costs for distribution, VAT etc but the clubs are still making a stonking profit. A "little kids" home kit for my 2 year old grandson is £45!! (If the club had any, which they don't which from a marketing point of view is bloody daft at Xmas because some will be prepared to shell out that much. PBOBE does seem to have lost control of re-ordering!)

Anyway, i have wandered OT.

Well done Mary Earps!

SPOTY 2022 - Beth Mead
SPOTY 2023 - Mary Earps

But nobody is interested in womens football :lolol:

Don`t believe either Beth Mead or Mary Earps are anywhere near the same category as any of the great sporting names who have won before..
Steve Davis, Henry Cooper, Jackie Stewart, Nigel Mansell, Paul Gascoigne, Bobby Moore, David Beckham, Linford Christie, Mo Farah, Ian Botham.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Don`t believe either Beth Mead or Mary Earps are anywhere near the same category as any of the great sporting names who have won before..
Steve Davis, Henry Cooper, Jackie Stewart, Nigel Mansell, Paul Gascoigne, Bobby Moore, David Beckham, Linford Christie, Mo Farah, Ian Botham.
But it's all dependant on the year isn't it. We all know 2023 wasn't a stellar year of sport. Non-Olympic year etc.

There will be years (I imagine 2012) where winners in ANY other year would be finishing outside the top 3.

If Mary Earps was up against a double olympic Champion then of course she would lose.

but they aren't, so I don't understand what your point is.

Reactions: A1X

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactactly! My daughter was inspired to cycle by Victoria Pendleton when she watched the Olympics when she was six. My daughter is now 21 and cycling has had a massive inpact in her life, she raced all over Europe and is doing a sports science degree.
England’s best player in the first side to reach the football World Cup final for over 50 years. It had to be her really.

The rise and rise of women’s football is fantastic. If it makes more young girls want to do sport then I am all for it. I have twin teenage daughters. One is sport mad and playing hockey for decent adult team at 13 while the other hates sport. The life experiences the sport mad one gets have been fantastic. We try our best to give the other one opportunities but it is hard work and forced rather than the most natural thing in the world. Sport teaches kids so much that is useful in life. Hard work pays off, resilience when struggling, team work, succeeding, failing etc etc. also very healthy.
The eldest daughter of my next door neighbour plays football to a decent standard (she was in the Albion academy for two seasons and now plays for Lewes) and one of my mates from the Goldstone days, who travelled to every Northern shithole with us and is one of the least 'woke' people I know, also has a daughter in the same year group who played for exactly the same teams. Before that, when mixed team are still allowed, she outscored the boys in her team. I can also remember a tournament at Waterhall my lad played in where Mile Oak had a girl playing who was the best on the pitch. She also properly Vinnie Jonesed a boy who had to go off crying.

Without the increased exposure of the women's game none of these may have potentially played. Instead they're getting good level, enjoyable competitive sport and staying fit and healthy.

But, yeah, stay in the kitchen ladies because we all know the BBC just ticks boxes.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You’ve forgotten Princess Anne.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
But it's all dependant on the year isn't it. We all know 2023 wasn't a stellar year of sport. Non-Olympic year etc.

There will be years (I imagine 2012) where winners in ANY other year would be finishing outside the top 3.

If Mary Earps was up against a double olympic Champion then of course she would lose.

but they aren't, so I don't understand what your point is.
My point is they don`t stand up to the great sporting names who have won in the past.
Sounds like you agree as you point out that 2023 was not a stellar sports year therefore we get a less than stellar winner.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Every famous sportsperson is a 'proper' personality. It's literally one of the two definitions of the word.

personality
noun
the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
a celebrity or famous person.
Well put. Proper was used as a football colloquialism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here