Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mary Earps deserved winner. Best goalkeeper in the world and a majorly key part in delivering the first senior major footballing trophy to this country since 66. She’s also, by all accounts, a proper personality.
She fought Nike and won.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I presume Mary Earps couldn't be there in person as being a week day she would have had to of been at home to cook dinner for her husband when he got home from work?
Probably busy cleaning…..all the trophies she has won.

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
She fought Nike and won.
The marketing and PR team ‘fought Nike,’ she just happened to be the subject of it, allowing first world kids to pay an obscene price for goods made in third world sweatshops by people working very long shifts in bad conditions for an absolute pittance. (I do like Mary Earps, think her a credible recipient of the award by the way.)

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I love sport and used to enjoy this show. In recent years I’ve avoided it due to the very obvious BBC agendas and bias. It feels fake. This year I only knew it was on as it overran the start of Vigil!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Frankly, I thought they were all deserving. Was hard to call for me, even if the bookies had called it.

At least they didn’t have to face Andy Murray the year he won Wimbledon.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I love sport and used to enjoy this show. In recent years I’ve avoided it due to the very obvious BBC agendas and bias. It feels fake. This year I only knew it was on as it overran the start of Vigil!
Was the winner decided by a woke BBC panel ?

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The marketing and PR team ‘fought Nike,’ she just happened to be the subject of it, allowing first world kids to pay an obscene price for goods made in third world sweatshops by people working very long shifts in bad conditions for an absolute pittance. (I do like Mary Earps, think her a credible recipient of the award by the way.)
I hope you don’t buy any Albion merchandise.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Tennis is only for women who love to cheer for ‘Timmy’ eh?

Since you ask, Absolutely. Come on Tim, oh look there's a pigeon, Cliff Richard singing, Whose in the Royal box? Sue Barker and THAT centre court crowd. Urgh. The only sport worse than Tennis is DRESSAGE.

Back to the point, absolutely nobody in the office yesterday knew who Alfie Hewitt was when someone was reading the nominations out and we had to resort to Google. You'd think it's like not knowing who Harry Kane is from the inference of some of the posts.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
SPOTY hit the mark in 1990 (Gazza) and Murray (2013).
2023 was one of those years where nothing happened to capture the public’s imagination on the same scale.
So it goes to Mary Earps. She’s one of a number of weak winners over the years, male and female.
It is a dated format anyway. Bin it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
SPOTY hit the mark in 1990 (Gazza) and Murray (2013).
2023 was one of those years where nothing happened to capture the public’s imagination on the same scale.
So it goes to Mary Earps. She’s one of a number of weak winners over the years, male and female.
It is a dated format anyway. Bin it.

Indeed, a very weak field yields a very weak winner but she could only beat what was in front of her so it was deserved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Despite the piety and faux joy by some on here, the wider public understand that Spoty has become a meaningless award. In last 5 years it has been deliberately detached from the sport consuming public due to the introduction of agendas that have little to do with “sport” and everything to do with the pursuit of a distorted vision of equality. Another beloved national institution changed beyond recognition without any consent or consultation from the powers that be.

This year so it turns out, Citeh wins team of the year, Pep wins coach of the year and Haaland international sports person. Yet, no English Citeh player is nominated for the primary shortlist……..shocking and illogical hatstandery at its finest.

Further, the fact that the BBC no longer produce voting numbers explains all you everything you need to know about Spoty’s popularity and transparency these days………

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/bbc-keeps-voting-numbers-secret-spoty/

Contrast this to only a few years ago when winners in big years would clear 250k votes to win amongst nearly a million public votes cast. A point the BBC and fat Clare, old Sue et al would reflect on during the programmes back in the day but no longer, cause aside from the wet mattress brigade no one watches it least of all votes on it. Big Mary wouldn’t have come top 3 10-15 years ago…….FACT.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

Personally speaking I don’t pay for the licence so no it’s no overall drama, and big Mary was 50/1 if you were a shrewdie in the summer and well understand the above………….
You've completely reinforced my previous post – well done. But I have questions:

If you 'don't pay for the licence', how do you know what it's been like 'in the last 5 years'?
If the BBC doesn't reveal voting numbers, how do you know they aren't comparable with the 250,000+ of 'a few years ago'?
In your mind, is five year more or fewer than 'a few years ago'?
What happened five years ago for it to change?
Does it make you feel better describing women as fat, old and big?
It doesn't *look* like it's 'no overall drama' to you. What gives?
If it is a meaningless award, why does anyone show up? And why would the winners regularly say different?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I hope you don’t buy any Albion merchandise.
I don't and won't - all the time we are signed up with Nike for reasons already stated in earlier posts. The shirts Nike are selling for 70/80 quid cost just £8 to make. Yes, additional costs for distribution, VAT etc but the clubs are still making a stonking profit. A "little kids" home kit for my 2 year old grandson is £45!! (If the club had any, which they don't which from a marketing point of view is bloody daft at Xmas because some will be prepared to shell out that much. PBOBE does seem to have lost control of re-ordering!)

Anyway, i have wandered OT.

Well done Mary Earps!

SPOTY 2022 - Beth Mead
SPOTY 2023 - Mary Earps

But nobody is interested in womens football :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Since you ask, Absolutely. Come on Tim, oh look there's a pigeon, Cliff Richard singing, Whose in the Royal box? Sue Barker and THAT centre court crowd. Urgh. The only sport worse than Tennis is DRESSAGE.

Back to the point, absolutely nobody in the office yesterday knew who Alfie Hewitt was when someone was reading the nominations out and we had to resort to Google. You'd think it's like not knowing who Harry Kane is from the inference of some of the posts.
You’re about 20 years out of date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here