Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I hadn't heard of half of them when I saw the betting yesterday including the odds on favourite.

Used to be a big deal now just a woke box ticking exercise from the BBC it would seem.
That’s a very silly comment. If you hadn’t heard of half of them, you must go around with your eyes closed.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Broad was fantastic through the whole series and was our top wicket taker. The last game topped off a very good year for him, he was quite rightly a contender.
He was brilliant but let’s be honest. It was woakes who changed the series (and the spell off wood at headingley). Woakes took 19 wickets at 18 I think. Broad took 22 at 28. Broad did some great things but had he won it would have been a giggs style lifetime achievement award.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey didn't even realise it was on, why the midweek slot?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Maybe also because of the declining interest from viewers.

Despite the piety and faux joy by some on here, the wider public understand that Spoty has become a meaningless award. In last 5 years it has been deliberately detached from the sport consuming public due to the introduction of agendas that have little to do with “sport” and everything to do with the pursuit of a distorted vision of equality. Another beloved national institution changed beyond recognition without any consent or consultation from the powers that be.

This year so it turns out, Citeh wins team of the year, Pep wins coach of the year and Haaland international sports person. Yet, no English Citeh player is nominated for the primary shortlist……..shocking and illogical hatstandery at its finest.

Further, the fact that the BBC no longer produce voting numbers explains all you everything you need to know about Spoty’s popularity and transparency these days………

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/bbc-keeps-voting-numbers-secret-spoty/

Contrast this to only a few years ago when winners in big years would clear 250k votes to win amongst nearly a million public votes cast. A point the BBC and fat Clare, old Sue et al would reflect on during the programmes back in the day but no longer, cause aside from the wet mattress brigade no one watches it least of all votes on it. Big Mary wouldn’t have come top 3 10-15 years ago…….FACT.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

Personally speaking I don’t pay for the licence so no it’s no overall drama, and big Mary was 50/1 if you were a shrewdie in the summer and well understand the above………….

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Despite the piety and faux joy by some on here, the wider public understand that Spoty has become a meaningless award. In last 5 years it has been deliberately detached from the sport consuming public due to the introduction of agendas that have little to do with “sport” and everything to do with the pursuit of a distorted vision of equality. Another beloved national institution changed beyond recognition without any consent or consultation from the powers that be.

This year so it turns out, Citeh wins team of the year, Pep wins coach of the year and Haaland international sports person. Yet, no English Citeh player is nominated for the primary shortlist……..shocking and illogical hatstandery at its finest.

Further, the fact that the BBC no longer produce voting numbers explains all you everything you need to know about Spoty’s popularity and transparency these days………

Contrast this to only a few years ago when winners in big years would clear 250k votes to win amongst nearly a million public votes cast. A point the BBC and fat Clare, old Sue et al would reflect on during the programmes back in the day but no longer, cause aside from the wet mattress brigade no one watches it least of all votes on it. Big Mary wouldn’t have come top 3 10-15 years ago…….FACT.

Personally speaking I don’t pay for the licence so no it’s no overall drama, and big Mary was 50/1 if you were a shrewdie in the summer and well understand the above………….
You sound very bitter. Try and enjoy Christmas...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There’s a few on this thread who should feel the same way.

I thought Fatima Whitbread was wonderful, Kenny Daiglish lovely, and Desmond from Sheffield, inspirational.
Agree about Fatima, Kenny and Desmond!

when looking at what Dalglish achieved through his career, it’s quite remarkable!
and Fatima and Desmond both tremendous stories! But given the “political” nature of them both, I’ve been waiting for the political correctness gone mad comments.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He did take 38 wickets in the year @ 26 including his 600th test wicket. This with the fairytale ending justified his inclusion in my opinion.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As in #33, Mary Earps was fully deserving of her inclusion in the final 6. And she's clearly popular with the public as the vote showed.

Even with 2 major tournaments to generate interest, a second successive winner coming from women's football is telling.

With Raducanu's win in 2021, it's 3 wins out of the last 3 for women, with 2 out of the top 3 in the last 2 years being women.

It probably reveals something about the change in televised sport on the BBC and public perception.
Yes, yes it does, I hardly watch any BBC sport these days and I'll bet I'm not alone.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love how angry some on social media have got about a women’s goalie winning but most so them fuming about what she is wearing. Ffs. Live and let live. It is incredible that the people who get angriest about what she is wearing are people who hate any state interference and say “nanny state” but then think we should tell people what to wear. Like you say. Iran must be more their thing.
Amazing that a sportsperson can also have some kind of fashion sense. Where will it end ? :laugh:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The voting has been fixed/secret ever since Bob Nudd was ROBBED of the title.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The voting was initially changed after Ryan Giggs which was widely.seen as a betting fix.

On a more general point, it's not only Nigel Farage and the Gammon brigade who have never heard of Alfie Hewitt

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

The rich man’s lap dog has spoken.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree about Fatima, Kenny and Desmond!

when looking at what Dalglish achieved through his career, it’s quite remarkable!
and Fatima and Desmond both tremendous stories! But given the “political” nature of them both, I’ve been waiting for the political correctness gone mad comments.
They may have been ’political’ but both stories were sadly true. Those who love to howl and protest about females and black people should hear more about their struggle and achievements.
Fatima’s story, I had heard before in the South African ‘Jungle’ of being abandoned, abused and sexually abused in care, until she was finally adopted when she was 14.
Desmond telling us that black kids couldn’t join cricket clubs in the 60s. Considering the recent race row in Yorkshire cricket, I thought it was relevant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The voting was initially changed after Ryan Giggs which was widely.seen as a betting fix.

On a more general point, it's not only Nigel Farage and the Gammon brigade who have never heard of Alfie Hewitt
Tennis is only for women who love to cheer for ‘Timmy’ eh?

As for those who think darts and snooker are sports! Games, yes, not sport, where fitness and athleticism are important.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It was after 1991 and Bob Nudd

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Mary Earps deserved winner. Best goalkeeper in the world and a majorly key part in delivering the first senior major footballing trophy to this country since 66. She’s also, by all accounts, a proper personality.

Every famous sportsperson is a 'proper' personality. It's literally one of the two definitions of the word.

personality
noun
the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
a celebrity or famous person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here