[Other Sport] BBC Sports Personality 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
A female athlete's body! :ohmy:

Maybe the Iranian SPOTY might be more your thing?
I love how angry some on social media have got about a women’s goalie winning but most so them fuming about what she is wearing. Ffs. Live and let live. It is incredible that the people who get angriest about what she is wearing are people who hate any state interference and say “nanny state” but then think we should tell people what to wear. Like you say. Iran must be more their thing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done to Mary Earps.

Thoughts and prayers to anyone struggling to accept the result of a public vote for a sportsperson. Or, weirdly, what the winner chose to wear to the event

:shrug:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Am I missing something here. SPOTY on a Tuesday night?
"The BBC has moved the Sports Personality of the Year awards show from its traditional Sunday night slot in order to make it easier for stars to attend. The show was moved to midweek last year because of the men's football World Cup in Qatar but what was seen as a one-off switch now appears to be permanent." (Times)

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
"The BBC has moved the Sports Personality of the Year awards show from its traditional Sunday night slot in order to make it easier for stars to attend. The show was moved to midweek last year because of the men's football World Cup in Qatar but what was seen as a one-off switch now appears to be permanent." (Times)
Ok thanks didn’t know it was on tonight

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My preference would have been Stuart Broad, partly to celebrate the immense career he’s had but also the fairytale manner in which it ended with the six from his last ball as a batsman and a wicket from his last ball as a bowler.
Absolutely no way Stuart Broad should have won.
Was neither the best bowler, all rounder or best personality even in his own sport over the past year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In general it’s a competition that’s way past its sell by date and becoming vastly irrelevant.

However, as with so many things, my bellwether is the number of triggered gammons and here Mary’s done a splendid job.

Well deserved.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In general it’s a competition that’s way past its sell by date and becoming vastly irrelevant.

However, as with so many things, my bellwether is the number of triggered gammons and here Mary’s done a splendid job.

Well deserved.
I wonder how many times “where will it end?” has been muttered tonight?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Was neither the best bowler, all rounder or best personality even in his own sport over the past year.
This. It’s like giving the 2024 to Lallana for scoring at the north end in his last appearance and waving to the fans at the end.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Disagree.

The end to his career was one of the most captivating sporting moments of the year for me, and a fitting way to crown off a great Ashes series.

Winning this award has never really been totally about being the absolute overall best in terms of performance. If it was, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Phil Taylor would probably have won numerous times each.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Well deserved.
I don't follow the award, and I don't know that she was the most worthy candidate, but the Twitter meltdown is an utter joy to behold. So I'm glad she was voted top.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Disagree.

The end to his career was one of the most captivating sporting moments of the year for me, and a fitting way to crown off a great Ashes series.

Winning this award has never really been totally about being the absolute overall best in terms of performance. If it was, Ronnie O’Sullivan and Phil Taylor would probably have won numerous times each.
Would that not be a lifetime achievement award though ? I would say there are more worthy candidates for 2023 in isolation.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I presume Mary Earps couldn't be there in person as being a week day she would have had to of been at home to cook dinner for her husband when he got home from work?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Well deserved.
'Box-ticking exercise. More wokery from the Biased Broadcasting Corperation. The white British sportsman is a dying breed. It's political correctness gone mad.'

Etc etc etc.

Twats.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Disagree.

It was only special because he’d been much better in previous seasons.

Without the 8-for his last game would have been a nice footnote.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Broad was fantastic through the whole series and was our top wicket taker. The last game topped off a very good year for him, he was quite rightly a contender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports