Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] BBC programme about the 1963 freeze

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember building a massive snowman in the garden - it was the first time I'd seen snow. It snowed so rarely in Brighton but that winter seemed to last for ever.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It was my first winter, having been born the previous June. No surprise that I don’t remember it, but it seems that more winters were snowy back in my youth (or I just had more time to play in it).

The programme was really interesting. Great to see trains running with loads of snow everywhere. Puts Southern to shame!

Winters were far more snowy, Icy and colder in our youth.
The snow used to hang around for ages due to the cold weather.
You could expect at least one dumping of snow in the south east almost every winter.
Bluebell Hill near Maidstone was often closed due to snow.
At 11pm tonight the outside temperature reading in my van was 12 degrees.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Albion hired a tar melter to thaw out the pitch, so that they could play a match against Halifax . It backfired, because they lost the match, and also destroyed the grass.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was 14, and remembered having to wear wellies every day, my feet were freezing. When they thawed out, I had painful, very itchy chilblains.
The snow was shovelled into mounds to clear the pavements, and these grey frozen mounds were still there in March.

I remember it well, I was 16, living in Hassocks and in my first year at Westminster Hotel College travelling up and back by train to London.

It first started snowing on Boxing Day and it stayed freezing for ages, so much so there was still patches of snow in sheltered corners on Good Friday!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was just 7 and don't really remember it, my parents told me though that the Thames froze over where l lived in Staines, and people were ice skating on the river.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I blame global warming....

Seriously though, I was 3, I don’t actually remember, but have been told so many times that it has become an enforced memory - apparent I stepped out of our back door and disappeared into the drift that had formed in our driveway, oh how my family laughed - apparently!

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Trying to find this online to watch, is it a Chris Packam wildlife documentary?

It's part of the winterwatch series (yes, I think Packham is the presenter).
I found it this morning using the Sky search function, looked on the BBC4 section, if that helps?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Trying to find this online to watch, is it a Chris Packam wildlife documentary?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/winterwatch-1963-the-big-freeze

Strachan looks good.

Michaela-Strachan-TV-television-presenter.jpg

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was 15 and left school that December. Got a job at Jakens in Seaford as a TV aerial riggers assistant. What a mug! The building sites were all laid off for six to eight weeks. Never seen anything like it since thank goodness.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was 9 and recall nothing ever stopped my Dad if a job needed doing. He had to get somewhere, may have been Eastbourne, and still remember my Mum telling us not to go but my Dad, being my Dad, could see no reason why we couldn't get through. Think we had a Ford Cortina (sporting red). We left Keymer and got to Westmeston, that zig zag curve by the church. Didn't get round it. Still cant believe my Dad actually gave up and returned home.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here