Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 'Price of Football 2014' - We are top of the league

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've been critical of club's ticket pricing in the past but within those articles there is one figure that brings home the challenge the club have - TB paying £544 out of his own pocket for every (persumably season ticket holding ) supporter. So in reality, just to stand still and break even every season ticket needs to go up by £544.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I've been critical of club's ticket pricing in the past but within those articles there is one figure that brings home the challenge the club have - TB paying £544 out of his own pocket for every (persumably season ticket holding ) supporter. So in reality, just to stand still and break even every season ticket needs to go up by £544.

Or wages come down by the equivalent amount.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'll let you tell the squad they need to have their wages dropped by £11.5m !!!! Agreed though - my example was rather simplistic.

Let's be simplistic. Assume a 23 man squad (for simplicity); wages down by £500 000. £10 000 a week, less putting (so I've heard) O'Grady on £3 000 a week.

This is still £150 000 a year (perhaps he'd be so disgusted that he'd quit to earn more in the City).

Footballers would still play football whilst "only" earning five times the national average wage.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Let's be simplistic. Assume a 23 man squad (for simplicity); wages down by £500 000. £10 000 a week, less putting (so I've heard) O'Grady on £3 000 a week.

This is still £150 000 a year (perhaps he'd be so disgusted that he'd quit to earn more in the City).

Footballers would still play football whilst "only" earning five times the national average wage.

Not many could do much else that pays that well..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
a good saving might be to pay strikers per goal................might just shape their ideas up

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The cheapest season ticket at Brighton and Hove Albion is 36% more than the average comparable cost for the Championship of £343.

Based on last season's results and prices, a home goal cost about £14.68 at Brighton. I imagine that price is going to double for this season, :lolol:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I've solved this problem by stopping my season ticket and only going to half a dozen home games per season. Also, as I'm now paid by the Government to be old, the tickets are cheaper.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've solved this problem by stopping my season ticket and only going to half a dozen home games per season. Also, as I'm now paid by the Government to be old, the tickets are cheaper.

Nah, the Government merely distribute the money. It's me who's paying for you to be old. You're welcome. :wink:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If anyone is being ripped off, surely it has to be Halifax Town fans? £319 for a season ticket. Ludicrous for that level.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
My biggest reaction to these pieces is a small phrase that was entirely unnecessary and indicative of a mentality that is entirely discriminatory. Yes - more men than women watch football, but did we really need to compare the price of football with the price of women? It's all very 70s and 'take my mother-in-law, please' humour but personally I'd rather not read it. The car analogy was sufficient.

I'm sure that probably makes me in the minority.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
PB's points are all valid, imo, making the prices reasonable value for money. However, the implication is that the club has chosen to target middle class folk as new fans. Financially, this makes sense as the middle classes will have more disposable income than lower paid people, but it is akin to engineering a new reality, which doesn't sit comfortably with me. Football used to be a working class game - it is rapidly heading to a situation, apparently encouraged by the club's marketing strategy, where those people will simply be priced out of attending.

Personally, I'd much rather see a model like AC Milan's, where the cost of the cheapest ticket is lowered but the cost of the highest is increased - thus keeping the financials for the club the same. That way, lower paid people can still attend, the middle classes would still probably attend (I would) and the club is no worse off than now. Win, win, win, shirley?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
PB's points are all valid, imo, making the prices reasonable value for money. However, the implication is that the club has chosen to target middle class folk as new fans. Financially, this makes sense as the middle classes will have more disposable income than lower paid people, but it is akin to engineering a new reality, which doesn't sit comfortably with me. Football used to be a working class game - it is rapidly heading to a situation, apparently encouraged by the club's marketing strategy, where those people will simply be priced out of attending.

Personally, I'd much rather see a model like AC Milan's, where the cost of the cheapest ticket is lowered but the cost of the highest is increased - thus keeping the financials for the club the same. That way, lower paid people can still attend, the middle classes would still probably attend (I would) and the club is no worse off than now. Win, win, win, shirley?

Totally agree, and I think that clubs should think about the retention of their fanbase - Are those for whom football is a hobby going to stick around in the bad times?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Average TV money for Premier League clubs: £75 million.

Brighton and Hove Albion's TV cash: £4.8 million.

Hardly surprising some top flight clubs can charge less.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Absolutely this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here