Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] BBC Olympics Coverage- why its not very good this time.

SAC

May 21, 2014
So yesterday morning, put the BBC on at 6.15. Was told we had won a gold in swimming and a silver in rowing. They never actually showed the medal winning performances. A lot of time was spent talking about Biles - and no action.

When I got home, GB were in the bronze medal match in the 7s egg chasing. So the BBC decided to show sailing instead! Now I understand that there is a huge amount of skill in sailing but a spectator sport it most certainly is not. Is sailing a more popular sport than rugby? Of course it isn't.

Fortunately I have now found the Olympics on Eurosport - all action, very little wittering. Coverage is different class to the BBC.

Want to try to construct a rebuttal of my points rather than the lazy use of an emoji?

Have you read the whole thread? Discovery/Eurosport own the rights and can show what they like. The BBC only have limited rights and can't show anything more than this. Not the BBC's fault, blame the IOC for going with the $$$ rather than promoting the sports.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not the BBC's fault, blame the IOC for going with the $$$ rather than promoting the sports.

Bit unfair digging out the IOC for being self-serving and simply chasing the $ when they are a not-for profit organisation, as one look at their HQ in Switzerland makes clear.... :moo:

07_088_IOC_403_H.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The last few Olympics have been covered brilliantly by the BBC, with literally every second of every event available on TV, Red Button or IPlayer.

This time round there is comparatively very little available to watch. I appreciate most is on in the wee small hours, but even the BBC main coverage shows are full of filler, flashy graphics covering up a lack of content.

Graphics are the way forwards , graphics and memes ....all you need..:thumbsup:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So yesterday morning, put the BBC on at 6.15. Was told we had won a gold in swimming and a silver in rowing. They never actually showed the medal winning performances. A lot of time was spent talking about Biles - and no action.

When I got home, GB were in the bronze medal match in the 7s egg chasing. So the BBC decided to show sailing instead! Now I understand that there is a huge amount of skill in sailing but a spectator sport it most certainly is not. Is sailing a more popular sport than rugby? Of course it isn't.

Fortunately I have now found the Olympics on Eurosport - all action, very little wittering. Coverage is different class to the BBC.

Want to try to construct a rebuttal of my points rather than the lazy use of an emoji?

There's barely any point using words when you're clearly not reading the thread!

Eurosport's coverage is "different class" to the BBC because their parent company paid the IOC almost a BILLION POUNDS for European rights - in a deal which didn't even get put to tender.

The BBC, like all other European broadcasters, is feeding on scraps.

According to you this is "yet another example of why the BBC shouldn't be allowed to do sport".

An opinion which, if we're honest, doesn't deserve anything more than a throwaway emoji.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The BBC are not exactly helping themselves though are they? Right now they have just shown the entirety of an Australia v China Rugby 7s match. Including lengthy interview with some Matilda egg chaser. There must be something they have rights to that is more relevant than that, surely?

Now showing USA vs Japan :shrug:

Last edited:

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
I cannot find the shooting anywhere and Matthew Coward-Holley won us a bronze in this event. As you can tell by my username I'm very keen on this!

The BBC tend to switch from event to event too quickly although their presenters are all excellent, enthusiastic and likeable , doing their research when covering a different sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here