Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC local news for Brightin

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I've recently moved back down to Brighton from London. It has been nothing short of wonderful to come 'home'. I've had absolutely no trouble getting back into the swing of Brighton life. Pubbing, country walks, decent work/life balance.. it's been a dream come true. But one thing that really makes me realise I'm not in the big city any more is the local news.

When the news in London went from National to regional, I'd hardly notice the difference.. It was all about dodgy politicians, stabbings, rapists, ending with an 'and finally..' story about honeybadger that could play the piano or something.

Moving down here the difference is hilarious. It goes from national news coverage to 'An Orchid shop in Cooksbridge, that was due to close down, now isn't.' Then they roll a ten minute VT, with archive footage, about said shop. Then it's back to the studio as our two presenters - who look like real news presenters that have gone off a bit - read out viewers opinions. "Barbara from Lewes has tweeted us to say she's happy the shop isn't closing." all this while earnestly swiping at an iPad in a desperate attempt to appear relevant, modern and 'in touch' with technology and the latest happenings.

I thought I'd entered the twilight zone.

I think the point of this thread is that we don't even get these local stories. All we seem to get is so football news from the mighty Southampton, Portsmouth, or Gillingham, and stories about florists shutting in Basingstoke. Why does so much local news seem to come from this godforsaken hole of a town, whereas the seething, vibrant areas of Sussex get zilch coverage.

I've recently moved back down to Brighton from London. It has been nothing short of wonderful to come 'home'. I've had absolutely no trouble getting back into the swing of Brighton life. Pubbing, country walks, decent work/life balance.. it's been a dream come true. But one thing that really makes me realise I'm not in the big city any more is the local news.

When the news in London went from National to regional, I'd hardly notice the difference.. It was all about dodgy politicians, stabbings, rapists, ending with an 'and finally..' story about honeybadger that could play the piano or something.

Moving down here the difference is hilarious. It goes from national news coverage to 'An Orchid shop in Cooksbridge, that was due to close down, now isn't.' Then they roll a ten minute VT, with archive footage, about said shop. Then it's back to the studio as our two presenters - who look like real news presenters that have gone off a bit - read out viewers opinions. "Barbara from Lewes has tweeted us to say she's happy the shop isn't closing." all this while earnestly swiping at an iPad in a desperate attempt to appear relevant, modern and 'in touch' with technology and the latest happenings.

Good news about McBean's Orchids.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

This is the thing, it doesn't matter how localised the Sussex news is, you'll still get the same types of stories which very few people are really interested in. Hardly a day goes by when there isn't a story about the local hospitals struggling with waiting times, it's not news any more.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Its always been the way. First they split the county into East and West Sussex and then they split the news so that West Sussex looks to Hampshire and East Sussex looks to Kent. Disgraceful really, they wouldnt dream of doing that to Yorkshire or Lancashire but they had no qualms at all about doing it to Sussex.

Eh - Would that be the Yorkshire that is split in to South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, City of Hull, North Yorkshire, City of York, Redcar & Cleveland & Middlesbrough? I haven't got time for Lancashire!

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
I can only imagine that Brighton and Hove are the naughty schoolboys, like we've been hidden away at the back of the class, and shouldn't step out of line.
You WILL listen to the news that we are broadcasting from Kent and Hampshire.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Agree with all the sensible comments regarding the bias towards Kent and Southampton, depending on which way you aerial points. Responses from the station manager at Tunbridge Wells regarding this, are always countered with statements insisting that the coverage is balanced.

The situation is similar regarding the Radio Sussex DAB service. Those of us who live north of the South Downs and get the station from the Heathfield transmitter don't get a digital service and there's no plan to provide one. The Whitehawk transmitter broadcasts 'Sussex Coast' but the big lump of chalk prevents the signal going north.

We pay the licence fee, but don't get a good service.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I'd always thought it was transmitter problems that meant news coverage of Sussex is :-
(a) shite; and
(b) disjointed.

But can anyone explain why BBC Radio Sussex and Surrey also cover Aldershot FC in tedious detail. Last time I looked Aldershot was in fecking Hampshire !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Living in Haywards Heath I missed Meridian News to see the goals again, so turned over to BBC South East and they mentioned the game and showed one of Tex goals out of 5 goals scored in the game, what poor coverage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'd always thought it was transmitter problems that meant news coverage of Sussex is :-
(a) shite; and
(b) disjointed.

But can anyone explain why BBC Radio Sussex and Surrey also cover Aldershot FC in tedious detail. Last time I looked Aldershot was in fecking Hampshire !
Yes, that is ludicrous. Why aren't they on radio Portsmouth or whatever.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Living in Haywards Heath I missed Meridian News to see the goals again, so turned over to BBC South East and they mentioned the game and showed one of Tex goals out of 5 goals scored in the game, what poor coverage.

And no news of any Orchid shops shutting either, scandalous

sherrinned

Aug 12, 2003
West Worthing
Sorry to say it's always been this way. Lived in B & H for 40 odd years watching so called local news based in and around Southampton. I personally think we get better coverage from Kent (I now live in Worthing where nothing ever seems to happen). Either way we in Sussex do appear to be some sort of b'stard son ??? Go figure

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath

The reason you missed them on Meridian was because they didn't show them!

As for TV reception I know the good people of Franklands village in Haywards heath didn't used to get meridian they got the London station instead. That was bizarre

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I get London BBC and ITV on my TV but if I switch to AV my freeview and recorder, on the same channels 1 and 3, I get BBC South East and Meridian. In effect I have 2 options for each BBC and ITV

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I think the point of this thread is that we don't even get these local stories. All we seem to get is so football news from the mighty Southampton, Portsmouth, or Gillingham, and stories about florists shutting in Basingstoke. Why does so much local news seem to come from this godforsaken hole of a town, whereas the seething, vibrant areas of Sussex get zilch coverage.
Where is Seething? Is it near Beeding (West Sussex)?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

On BBC South Today they showed all 5 goals and had a bit of an interview with Mr Hughton.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
(a) shite; and
(b) disjointed.

Aldershot is nearly in Surrey, and Hampshire would probably prefer it to be in Surrey.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whilst I would agree that local TV coverage of the Albion is rubbish (I live less than ten miles from Brighton but am treated to goals from Bournemouth, Oxford, Wycombe & occasionally Swindon at times), one question does spring to mind.

You obviously all have Internet access, so why would you wait for Meridian Tonight, or BBC South [East] Today to see half hearted, badly edited and dubbed clips of Albion goals?

You can usually find Vines online showing goals within an hour or so of the final whistle, then there's the Football League Show (on iPlayer too, if you miss the broadcast), SkySports bulletins, Seagulls Player, official club websites with highlights, YouTube videos (official or mobile phone versions), and so on and so on. I can't believe anybody would actually bother sitting through the utter drivel that is a local news broadcast- yes, Fred Dinenage, I'm talking about you here- simply in the hope of seeing five seconds of the Albion.

We all used to do it, back in the 1980s & 90s, I know: but it's 2015 now...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here