Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Based on the acclaimed novel by Ian McGuire, the five-part series tells the story of Patrick Sumner (O’Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship’s doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. But the ferocity of the elements is matched by the violence of his crewmates, with Drax (Farrell), a harpooner and distinctly brutal force of nature.

As the true purpose of the expedition becomes clear, a confrontation between the two men erupts, taking them on a journey far from solid ground and beyond the safe moorings of civilisation.

The North Water will air on the channel in five 60-minute, parts and stars (the brilliant) Stephen Graham, Jack O’Connell and Colin Farrell (among others).

View attachment 137921

Well, 1 episode to go. It's been a lot darker and more graphic than I imagined, with some really strong performances as you'd expect from the cast. A steady rather than rapid pace, and Colin Farrell leaves you feeling a little uneasy at all times.

Can't wait to see if the Beeb tame it a bit with some choice editing.

Anyone else been indulging?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Well, 1 episode to go. It's been a lot darker and more graphic than I imagined, with some really strong performances as you'd expect from the cast. A steady rather than rapid pace, and Colin Farrell leaves you feeling a little uneasy at all times.

Watched the first one and liked the look of it.
Colin Farrell is brilliant.
Had trouble with the buffering etc for the next one sadly

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Indeed I have. Differs from the novel but not unreasonably. Yes, I’m enjoying it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One great and one lovely little film have appeared on IPlayer.

Such is the nature of IPlayer you really ought to have watched them by now, but if you haven't:-

Green Book is great.

The Peanut Butter Falcon is lovely.
It wears it's influences with pride, as It should as they are Huck Finn, T-Bone Burnett & The Coen Brothers.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Such is the nature of IPlayer you really ought to have watched them by now, but if you haven't:-

Green Book is great.

It wears it's influences with pride, as It should as they are Huck Finn, T-Bone Burnett & The Coen Brothers.

[tweet]1426253512099303426[/tweet]
Slightly off topic, have you a pair of these yet :D

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just started watching the Sherlock series on iPlayer. Bloody good so far with "His Last Vow" and "A Scandal in Belgravia" being my favourite episodes so far, with so many twists and turns. The late Una Stubbs as Mrs Hudson pretty much steals every scene she's in. Only problem I've got is it's difficult to take Moriarty seriously as a criminal mastermind when he was a character in the Goon Show played by Spike Milligan !

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Around the same time as the Vigil double bill, look out for The Trick.

It tells the real-life story of world-renowned Professor Philip Jones, Director of Climate Research at the University of East Anglia, who back in 2009 found himself at the eye of an international media storm, and the victim of cyberterrorism.

Jason Watkins stars.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Based on the acclaimed novel by Ian McGuire, the five-part series tells the story of Patrick Sumner (O’Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship’s doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. But the ferocity of the elements is matched by the violence of his crewmates, with Drax (Farrell), a harpooner and distinctly brutal force of nature.

As the true purpose of the expedition becomes clear, a confrontation between the two men erupts, taking them on a journey far from solid ground and beyond the safe moorings of civilisation.

The North Water will air on the channel in five 60-minute, parts and stars (the brilliant) Stephen Graham, Jack O’Connell and Colin Farrell (among others).

View attachment 137921

Beeb 2, Friday 10 September.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Green Book is great.

Typically anything with Viggo Mortensen is worth a watch but Green Book was exceptional.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BBC has put Sean Lock's 15 Storeys High up on IPlayer.

They've also added Election to films which is nice.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
When Ruby Wax Met...

Whatever your thinking on Ruby Wax, this is fascinating. Looking back on 20 odd year old interviews with Trump, OJ Simpson, Tom Hanks, Carrie Fisher, Goldie Hawn. That's just ep1.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
This is a terrific 9/11 documentary exploring - with incredible access and new interviews with all the key players including Bush - how the Bush White House and senior team reacted and responded minute by minute to that day - 20 years ago. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8p5/911-inside-the-presidents-war-room

There's also a documentary on iPlayer taking to survivors, although it didn't grab me as much.

The one I found most fascinating was a program entirely composed of live press/camcorder footage, on ITV this week, including lots I've never seen before - should be available on their player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok folks this is only for the brave and eclectic among you.

I'm amazed I'm going with it, but not as amazed as I would be if anyone else does.

In 'documentaries' check out:

Garage People.

What Russian's, predominantly men, do in their garages.

I'm absolutely mesmerized by it.
Would love to discuss it with someone, but don't want to say anything now that would spoil it.

DO NOT WATCH IF YOU WORK FOR THE HEALTH AND SAFETY EXECUTIVE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here