Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Cutbacks

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Blimey, they must be feeling the pinch, or want to spend more money on "Strictly" style crap, they're really culling the wage bill on Spooks tonight!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's scary how big an earner panto is for these people. You'd think it was the scrag ends of the acting profession, but far from it. Bonnie Langford and her ilk are coining it in.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's scary how big an earner panto is for these people. You'd think it was the scrag ends of the acting profession, but far from it. Bonnie Langford and her ilk are coining it in.

Really? Just think, if everyone stopped going to pantomimes, we could permanently erase from the public consciousness the entire cast of Home & Away, Karl Kennedy and Madge from Neighbours, the Chuckle Brothers, Bob Carolgees (and Spit the dog), Joe Pasquale, Claire Sweeney and several early Big Brother rejects.

How much cash do they make then??

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Blimey, they must be feeling the pinch, or want to spend more money on "Strictly" style crap, they're really culling the wage bill on Spooks tonight!

I gather Sooty is not going to get a new multi-million pound contract - either. Tough times indeed. Sue may have to go on the game.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps they could cull some of their other programmes as part of the cutbacks.

The Antiques Roadshow would be a good place to start, along with all their crappy morning shows like Property Ladder and Homes Under the Hammer.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The Antiques Roadshow would be a good place to start, along with all their crappy morning shows like Property Ladder and Homes Under the Hammer.

they are dirt cheap to make tho, no special effects/star presenters,actors etc. does the job by filling in an hour and the main viewers would be students

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've often wondered what each episode of Top Gear costs to make although I gather the BBC rake in the cash from overseas sales, I've actually had Americans raving about it. Naturally they would never have anything so un PC !

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Really? Just think, if everyone stopped going to pantomimes, we could permanently erase from the public consciousness the entire cast of Home & Away, Karl Kennedy and Madge from Neighbours, the Chuckle Brothers, Bob Carolgees (and Spit the dog), Joe Pasquale, Claire Sweeney and several early Big Brother rejects.

How much cash do they make then??

Seasoned "stars" at solid-performing houses make anything from £800-2000 a WEEK. Example; Sir. Ian McKellen (Old Vic), Christopher Biggins.

Though many have a lower basic but performance related pay; (£400-1000 p/w + 10/15/20% of the box office)

The latter working out a LOT more money.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've often wondered what each episode of Top Gear costs to make although I gather the BBC rake in the cash from overseas sales, I've actually had Americans raving about it. Naturally they would never have anything so un PC !

Aren't they going to be doing some sort of Top Gear Roadshow around the world to make money - I thought I read this but may be mistaken.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seasoned "stars" at solid-performing houses make anything from £800-2000 a WEEK. Example; Sir. Ian McKellen (Old Vic), Christopher Biggins.

Though many have a lower basic but performance related pay; (£400-1000 p/w + 10/15/20% of the box office)

The latter working out a LOT more money.

I could sort of understand McKellen raking it in, given that he's a much loved stalwart of the English theatrical establishment (or just a big luvvie) but come on: BIGGINS??

Is the demand for pantomime dames that high that Biggins gets himself set for the year on the back of three weeks as an Ugly Sister?

I'm in the wrong job :clearsthroat: IT'S BEHIND YOU!

How was that?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Aren't they going to be doing some sort of Top Gear Roadshow around the world to make money - I thought I read this but may be mistaken.

No I am pretty sure you're right about that. Give you some idea though, I bought a copy of Top Gear magazine in Manila and it was an addition for the Philippines. Subsequently I met an American based Japanese couple there who saw the mag and started raving about the show to me, gives you some idea of how successful it must be.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
With the likes of Steve Gutenberg and Henry Winkler appearing in panto it must either pay well or there are some actors really needing to scrape the barrel

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With the likes of Steve Gutenberg and Henry Winkler appearing in panto it must either pay well or there are some actors really needing to scrape the barrel

Ahem.

"OH NO IT DOESN'T!"

Where's the exit again?

Panto can be a nice little earner. Trust me.

p542363360-3.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here