Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 6Music

But the reason they're giving isn't that it's not popular enough, it's that the 'demographic' that allegedly listens to 6music is the one commercial radio is aimed at. Clearly that is some weak ass thinking.

Yes, fair point, but the reasoning doesn't ring true, which is why I didn't mention it. There is CLEARLY no more thought gone into this than "we need to cut two stations; which stations have the lowest listening numbers?". If they were truly interested in serving demographics they would get rid of the local radio stations (which obviously have exactly the same target demographic as Radio 1 and Radio 2) and simply include local news & traffic on R1/R2.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love the fact everyone is coming out of the woodwork but listening figures show it is not popular!

The thing with public service broadcasting is that it should not need to be 'popular'.

I'm disappointed. It's a great station and Tubthumper Towers wakes up to it each morning.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
But they're completely different genres. Radio 3 is a classical musical station, Classic FM is an easy-listening station. It''s like comparing Radio 3 to Radio 2- they're just not comparable.

Nah, Classic FM plays popular, bite-sized classics.

But it doesn't play entire symphonies and concerts like BBC3.

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
I've never listened to it before but did yesterday to see if I was missing anything for an hour and it was too like Radio 1 with 90% of the DJ's role being reading out text messages. That's just boring and makes you realise just how entertaining someone like Chris Evans is by comparison.

The music was better than Radio 1 though.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I have been entirely outraged ever since this decision was announced. It's one of VERY FEW genuinely alternative radio stations available in this country.

How the FM airwaves can be filled with IDENTICAL stations such as Southern/Heart, Juice, Bright and even Radio 1 whilst a station with a playlist actually longer than a Spot the Dog book, playing bands and artists you won't hear anywhere else is put on the scrap heap is entirely unbelievable.

I think it is fair to say that a great deal more people would listen to it if they could but DAB in this country was implemented poorly and the technology is already out of date. Many people can't get decent DAB reception in their homes, let alone in their cars whilst on the move (and that's if you even have a DAB radio in the car, which is far from standard) so the easiest way to enjoy it is via the internet or if you catch up with downloaded podcasts (which don't count towards audience figures).

Many years ago, before the days of DAB, the government had strict rules for radio stations wishing to take up FM bandwidth, requiring that they cater to an audience that weren't already srved by existing stations. I was actually involved in a protest rally up in Leicester Square when Capital Radio (now Heart) bought the previously independent Xfm and obliterated its quirky, varied and eclectic playlist, replacing the songs with a comparitively tiny collection of bland pop songs that were already being played on Capital, Heart, Radio 1, Melody and even Magic. After serious pressure from Xfm's many fans the government stepped in and fined Capital for deviating from the station's original manifesto (to play predominantly guitar led alternative music) and they bucked their ideas up a little so as not to get in any more trouble, altering the playlist accordingly so it became the station it is today.

Xfm today is much better than the in the early days of the Capital takeover BUT it is still a shadow of its former self in the days when it was independently run.

What strikes me as odd is that we are faced with even less choice than ever on FM frequencies and yet the government's regulatory bodies to ensure competition and diversity seem to have ignored the fact that Heart have fairly rapidly gobbled up pretty much every commercial station in the UK to make them all idenitcal, as if they weren't all similar enough anyway. In London both Heart and Capital have always had fairly similar playlists but now they aren't even competing with each other they seem to make no effort whatsoever to try and differentiate from one another and what is the point of taking up two valuable FM frequencies for what is essentially the exact same output?

I rather suspect the government has let the massive Heart expansion slip under the radar so as to focus its efforts on getting everybody to switch to DAB, even though the simple fact of the matter is that the technology required to receive it is overpriced and not very good quality. The DAB system in this country is an already outdated media as the government went for the cheap option when rolling it out and as a result the quality is nowhere near as good as it should be, or as it is in other countries. We were promised better then cd quality crystal clear recording output and yet most of the time it's patchy and frequently intermittent at best. It's no wonder that people haven't invested in DAB receivers en masse when a £2.99 battery powered FM radio will likely offer you better sound quality.

And this, my friends, is why the BBC are taking the easy option and pulling the plug on BBC 6 Music, because no digital radio station has a sizeable audience share for all the reasons I've stated above and thus they'd sooner point to its low listener figures as justification for pulling the funding to spunk up the wall on yet more shite to be served up on BBC 3 (home of Two Pints of Lager and endless imported episodes of Family Guy).

I genuinely believe we have one of THE worst radio networks in the WORLD here thanks to the severe lack of choice. There are tiny island states with more varied radio stations than we have. In fact if you drive through some of the most barren American backwaters whilst turning the radio dial in your car you will still pick up something playing country music, another station playing contemporary rock, another playing "oldies", a shock jock talk show, a light pop station, maybe even one playing electronic music OR (in the case of South Caroline for instance) a station devoted ENTIRELY to the fairly niche genre of English Folk music. BUT traverse the FM frequencies anywhere in the UK and you'll find only the 4 national BBC stations, one or two local BBC stations, Classic FM and a selection of identical commercial chart music stations. THIS IS NOT DIVERSITY.

Whenever I'm in the car I only listen to the radio if I can pick up a pirate station which at least offers something genuinely different.

If you ask me we should all take a leaf out of the Brighton FIP fan's book and start broadcasting what we like from rudimentary broadcasing equipment (as can be bought from Maplins and the like) hidden in attics or other out of sight spaces. For TEN years FIP was broadcast to Brighton ILLEGALLY by a technically minded fan who was sick of the serious lack of options available to us in this country and loved the huge variety of the seemingly limiteless playlist of this funny little commercial free French radio station where the only occaisonal talking was entirely inoffensive due to being softly spoken non sensical French rather than over the top, irritating British radio DJ drivel.

If everyone with a DAB or internet connection plugged in a half decent FM transmitter to broadcast BBC 6 Music over the airwaves on an unused frequency from their homes then I will bet you people would listen in their droves.

It's high time people took a stand and spoke out about the fact that we are being severely short changed in this country and that ACTUALLY we don't ALL fall into exactly the same category of monotonous musically braindead drones

:rant:

That's easy for you to say...

:jester:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I really don't understand why I'm be exhorted to join a campaign to save a station which is clearly not popular.

Hmmmm... fans of Premier League clubs could have said that when we were trying to save our club.

Anyway, point is, 6 Music means a LOT to a fair amount of people. And the BBC's role is to provide that kind of service, right?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nah, Classic FM plays popular, bite-sized classics.

But it doesn't play entire symphonies and concerts like BBC3.

It's not just that - although it does do bite-sized classics - it also features large numbers of MOR/easy listening artists.

Just looked at the Classic FM top 30 - those "classical" artists include Katherine Jenkins, Royal Scot Dragoon Guards, Coldstream Guards, The Priests, Fron Male Voice Choir. There are only about half a dozen albums that could even remotely be called classical - and that would be stretching the definition quite a bit.

Radio 3 just wouldn't cover any of those artists.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hmmmm... fans of Premier League clubs could have said that when we were trying to save our club.

Anyway, point is, 6 Music means a LOT to a fair amount of people. And the BBC's role is to provide that kind of service, right?

It's a fair point, although isn't the point that other radio stations cover 6Music - although having said that, I don't know which ones.

I'm not one to talk though - the only music stations I listen to are FIP and Radio 3.

Arthur Scrace

Jul 21, 2009
Mark Thompson said if 6Music did become popular it would take listeners way from commercial stations (i.e. I'm frightened of David Cameron). Which stations is he talking about? What have I been missing all these years?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's a fair point, although isn't the point that other radio stations cover 6Music - although having said that, I don't know which ones.

No other stations do though, that's why it annoys people. Radio 1 sounds pretty much like every other commercial station now, no other station plays genuinely "alternative" music now

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Mark Thompson said if 6Music did become popular it would take listeners way from commercial stations (i.e. I'm frightened of David Cameron). Which stations is he talking about? What have I been missing all these years?

If the commercial stations started having playlists like those on 6Music that wouldn't be the case though, would it...

:angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've spent the last couple of hour listening to 6 Music for the first time ever and I must say that I still can't understand why it's so special. I used iPlayer to deliver the breakfast show and heard the trendsetting Kinks, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fall, Dr Alimintado, Fun Boy Three, King, Jimi Hendrix. Lou Reed and The Ruts - it's certainly a cut above Radio 1 but there didn't seem to be much recorded this century. The tweeter who said the station was like Capital Gold was bit off the mark but not far off. It sounded more like a radio equivalent of Mojo magazine.

The thing that irked me though was the amount of rabbit. In one hour, they played nine records, I counted. The rest of the time was spent with the same inane banter that you get on Radio 1.

I do take the point that it's not just about demographics and that minority interests should be served but 6 Music didn't strike me as anything special. I think the decision to close down the Asian channel is more worrying as that does seem to serve a special demographic.

But I'll go back to listening to FIP which is everything a radio station should be: a genuine wide selection of music, mixing old and modern and every genre under the sun with virtually no chat whatsoever. The BBC doesn't have to serve advertisers so there's nothing stopping them doing something like FIP, 6 Music could be it ... but it's not. And that's a lost opportunity as far as I'm concerned.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm glad to see so much support for the wonderful FIP but the fact that we love it so just proves the need for GENUINELY alternative stations like BBC 6 Music here in the UK. I agree 6 Music isn't as good as FIP but the fact it has no adverts and plays records from a much larger playlist than most commercial stations in this country makes it a damned sigh more listenable than anything you can pick up on FM frequencies

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's not just that - although it does do bite-sized classics - it also features large numbers of MOR/easy listening artists.

Just looked at the Classic FM top 30 - those "classical" artists include Katherine Jenkins, Royal Scot Dragoon Guards, Coldstream Guards, The Priests, Fron Male Voice Choir. There are only about half a dozen albums that could even remotely be called classical - and that would be stretching the definition quite a bit.

Radio 3 just wouldn't cover any of those artists.

Er... I think you're confusing the Classic FM-sponsored sales chart with their playlist. They're not the same thing. See On air | Playlist - Classic FM

I'm not disputing that Classic FM and Radio 3 are different, but the former doesn't play what most people would consider to be MOR/easy listening (like, say Magic FM).

Classic FM is the most listened to station in my household, so I can write about this with some certainty...!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't get all the commercial stations bleating on about how popular BBC radio stations are. If the commercial stations are not any good people won't listen but instead of upping their game they moan and say the BBC stations should be cut.
Think the axing of 6Music is a bit of mistake not the best listening figures but for a digital station they are quite good and offer a alternative to other stations and price per listener is also very good

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Er... I think you're confusing the Classic FM-sponsored sales chart with their playlist. They're not the same thing. See On air | Playlist - Classic FM

I'm not disputing that Classic FM and Radio 3 are different, but the former doesn't play what most people would consider to be MOR/easy listening (like, say Magic FM).

Classic FM is the most listened to station in my household, so I can write about this with some certainty...!

Oops.... You're right.

I've seen that Top 30 chart and always assumed that it was something like the Top 30 show on R1

I've just seen the schedule and that looks pretty kosher - although, as you say, it is just odd movements and extracts.

I think it would take a lot to drag me away from R3, which I've been listening to for more than 30 years, but I was too harsh on Classic FM

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The best bits of 6Music will end up on Radio1 and Radio2 , or another scenario is Absolute (formerly Virgin) launching their own version.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I've spent the last couple of hour listening to 6 Music for the first time ever and I must say that I still can't understand why it's so special. I used iPlayer to deliver the breakfast show and heard the trendsetting Kinks, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fall, Dr Alimintado, Fun Boy Three, King, Jimi Hendrix. Lou Reed and The Ruts - it's certainly a cut above Radio 1 but there didn't seem to be much recorded this century. The tweeter who said the station was like Capital Gold was bit off the mark but not far off. It sounded more like a radio equivalent of Mojo magazine.

The thing that irked me though was the amount of rabbit. In one hour, they played nine records, I counted. The rest of the time was spent with the same inane banter that you get on Radio 1.

I do take the point that it's not just about demographics and that minority interests should be served but 6 Music didn't strike me as anything special. I think the decision to close down the Asian channel is more worrying as that does seem to serve a special demographic.

But I'll go back to listening to FIP which is everything a radio station should be: a genuine wide selection of music, mixing old and modern and every genre under the sun with virtually no chat whatsoever. The BBC doesn't have to serve advertisers so there's nothing stopping them doing something like FIP, 6 Music could be it ... but it's not. And that's a lost opportunity as far as I'm concerned.

That is similar to my experience. I listened to 6music back in 2006 but gave it another listen this week, heard in order : Prince, Vampire Weekend, The Doors, Gorrillaz, and then the Klaxons, imo, not very good. 6music as an indie station is a failure, 6music as a good alternative station is a failure. Just boring music by self indulgent presenters.

FIP won't be going anywhere because just like Radio 3, I imagine it's quite cheap to run. I listened to asian network and it felt like radio 1, but instead of chris and fearne it was punjabi and adil.

I don't think the BBC should really have launched any radio stations without giving them a proper FM frequency. If I had anything to do with cutting at the BBC, it would not be on radio or internet, but on television as I imagine it is much more expensive than radio. There is potential for good national alternative music station in the UK, but I would much rather listen to USA radio over the net like Indie 103 in LA or KROQ.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Without knowing too much about the specifics, that market share sounds very reasonable if it only counts DAB listeners as I would suggest judging by its target demographic it would probably be about the most listened to online station of the those listed. Certainly shouldn't be dropped

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here