Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bayern Munich season tickets - £104

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whatever the merits of English and German football you cannot argue about this. I give you Mrs Schweinstiger.

My question is would you drink the pints before, or after?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This sort of thing confirms how badly we have got things wrong in this country. [In Germany they have] cheaper tickets,better facilities, standing sections, attractive football, etc...

Can the NSC Blue Brigade tell me, with any credibility, that this has got absolutely nothing to do with Thatcherism....?

The political left does not have all of the answers but when it comes to these sort of issues things start to seem quite obvious. The majority of us on here (I know there are plenty of exceptions so please don't anyone bother pointing them out) are in reasonably paid work and can afford to watch football at high prices. As long as there are enough who will pay then it will carry on and millions of people will be priced out while the players earn millions of pounds to spend on foreign cars... RIP Maggie

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Until footballers stop getting paid more money than they can ever spend ticket prices will be high here. I worked out that every penny above £20,000 a week that Wayne Rooney earns amounts to a total of £200 for every season ticket at Old Trafford.

As a result of not having a wage cap, even at a fairly generous level, fans are fleeced in this country.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can the NSC Blue Brigade tell me, with any credibility, that this has got absolutely nothing to do with Thatcherism....?

The political left does not have all of the answers but when it comes to these sort of issues things start to seem quite obvious. The majority of us on here (I know there are plenty of exceptions so please don't anyone bother pointing them out) are in reasonably paid work and can afford to watch football at high prices. As long as there are enough who will pay then it will carry on and millions of people will be priced out while the players earn millions of pounds to spend on foreign cars... RIP Maggie

And this is where I now leave this thread alone....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Er, sorry, did I say anywhere in my post that this was the result of politics ?.......

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
"We could charge more than £104. Let's say we charge £300. We'd get £2m more income but what is £2m to us? In a transfer discussion, you argue about that sum for five minutes. But the difference between £104 and £300 is huge for the fan. We do not think fans are like cows who you milk. Football has got to be for everybody. That's the biggest difference between us and England." - Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness

:bowdown:

LE19

Until footballers stop getting paid more money than they can ever spend ticket prices will be high here. I worked out that every penny above £20,000 a week that Wayne Rooney earns amounts to a total of £200 for every season ticket at Old Trafford.

As a result of not having a wage cap, even at a fairly generous level, fans are fleeced in this country.

I blame Jimmy Hill.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We can blame the clubs, Sky, greedy footballers etc etc. But the reason football is so expensive in this country is that we, the fans, have shown that we're happy to pay inflated prices - for tickets, for TV, for replica kit ... the list goes on. It's basic supply-and-demand stuff.

If we wanted, we could change the economics of the sport pretty much overnight by refusing to buy these things, or shifting our support to cheaper lower league clubs. But we won't, because we're addicts.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Er, sorry, did I say anywhere in my post that this was the result of politics ?.......
How on earth can this be discussed without considering "politics"...?

We all agree that the German model is vastly superior to ours.

"Politics" is the answer to why the difference exists. We have never recovered from the impact of Thatcher and it now seems unlikely we will in my lifetime.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We can blame the clubs, Sky, greedy footballers etc etc. But the reason football is so expensive in this country is that we, the fans, have shown that we're happy to pay inflated prices - for tickets, for TV, for replica kit ... the list goes on. It's basic supply-and-demand stuff.

If we wanted, we could change the economics of the sport pretty much overnight by refusing to buy these things, or shifting our support to cheaper lower league clubs. But we won't, because we're addicts.

Fair point. And it extends to commodities outside of football as well.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Just leave the politics to the politics threads. Jesus Christ. :bla:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yeah yeah, all well and good, but without squeezing every last drop of cash out of the football cow, how will you be able to attract the top names, play the best football and ensure that only rich and beautiful people will be seen around your club? The Germans may look after their poor fans, but they pay for it with a lower level of football, and will obviously never be able to compete in Europe with the glamour clubs from the UK and Spain, or at the international level.

Oh...

:D couldn't have put it better myself.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In fairness, Bayern are not a good example. They are a footballing power house who can afford not to charge top dollar at the gate. Man Utd don't charge £104 but they do have some VERY low season ticket prices by English standards. Why? Because they can. It's small beer compared to the endorsements, TV money and global merchandise sales.

With respect, YOU'VE picked a bad example with Man Utd.

Arsenal and, especially, Chelsea can afford to change MUCH less but don't.

Gate money is a relatively small percentage of total income for ALL Premier League teams now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football and politics, to me, are not even remotely linked.

Well they are whether you like it or not. If they were not we'd all just get on with drinking and standing at football matches in the UK. But we cannot, as the authorities wont let us.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Well they are whether you like it or not. If they were not we'd all just get on with drinking and standing at football matches in the UK. But we cannot, as the authorities wont let us.
Quite. We also wouldn't be in so many cases working two adults to a household just to be able to afford to watch a football match or buy a football shirt...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
With respect, YOU'VE picked a bad example with Man Utd.

Arsenal and, especially, Chelsea can afford to change MUCH less but don't.

Gate money is a relatively small percentage of total income for ALL Premier League teams now.
Yep, good point actually. Although Arsenal have a massive mortgage to pay don't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here