Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Battle Of Agincourt 1415

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, reading book by Bernard Cornwall , called Azincourt , re the battle of Agincourt brill read , just love stories about the long bow and what a weapon it was for the English archer.

It's a fantastic book, if you like this you'll like the harlequin series.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
both Juliet Barker and Ian Mortimer have written very interesting books on Agincourt, the latter's is a diary account of 1415. Quite brilliant and sets the scene with some interesting arguments about what happened after the battle and how the defeat came about.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Battle of crecy was a similar English victory around the same time which doesn't get the same headlines. We seem sympathetic about Joan of Ark, who was on the other side, which seems a contradiction really.

It was the 210th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar on Wednesday but all the headlines were about a fictional film naming 21st October 2015, as a future date.
Lord Nelson and HMS Victory and all that. I even saw someone mention the 'replica' in Portsmouth. :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Agincourt , Trafalgar and the Anniversary of Waterloo (battle not song) all commemorated in one year sacre bleu !

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is this where the V sign originated?. The English archers used to give the V sign to indicate that they have got both of their bow fingers intact.
Because when they were captured the two fingers were cut off?.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Hi, reading book by Bernard Cornwall , called Azincourt , re the battle of Agincourt brill read , just love stories about the long bow and what a weapon it was for the English archer.

Read his Waterloo one this summer; very good indeed.

It's a fantastic book, if you like this you'll like the harlequin series.

I'll take a look.. :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Please correct me if I am wrong, but is this where the V sign originated?. The English archers used to give the V sign to indicate that they have got both of their bow fingers intact.

supposedly, though the authenticity of the claim is doubted. if not the actual origin, the sentiment is valid. it worked for Churchill (a historian in his own right) so good enough for me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Either we're labouring under the same misaprehension or it is indeed true.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-of-Agincourt-why-should-we-remember-it.html

There is a couple of things wrong with this article. I assume most of the words are ghost written for Bernard Cornwell, I don't think he could have ok'd the article as published.

Says this is the site of the Battle. It's actually the upper part of the River Hamble and the site where at least one of Henry V's ships remains lie.
The_site_in_the_Ri_3480210b.jpg

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've read the harlequin series, really good and a great way to learn about English history. Hook what a character.

Absolutely agree, have you read the uhtred / Viking series ?

Wilton

Banned
Oct 15, 2015
Yes you are correct. Although Harvey smith also used it.

Wilton

Banned
Oct 15, 2015
Also the English at rorkes drift, all great men Welsh n English in these historical battles.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
'No warring guns were then in use:
They dreamt of no such thing;
Our Englishmen in fight did use
The gallant grey-goose wing.

And with the gallant grey-goose wing
They shew'd to them such play
That made their horses kick and fling
And down their riders lay.'