Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bassline

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
The bass on Ian Dury's " Hit me with your rhythm stick" is awesome. Norman Watts Roy is a very underrated Bass player.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The bass on "Go Deep" by Janet Jackson is a personal favourite as is pretty much any Andy Fraser bass line.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not sure I could give a definitive personal favourite. There's a few that spring to mind Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't Fear The Reaper', Kinks 'You Really Got Me', Creedence 'Round The Bend' but right now I'd go for Taste of Honey 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' made all the better by the fact that the 2 bass players in that were the women singers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And Felix 'Don't You Want Me' is pretty compelling with a bassline to die for and this effort by Thugf**ker is superb. Just wait until it kicks in properly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
White Lines has a great bass line. Blur's Girls and Boys as well. Neither are too complicated either.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Police and thieves, white man in the Hammersmith Palais, London calling and Guns of Brixton all by The CLASH.

Nice n sleezy, walk on by and Peaches by The STRANGLERS

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I would say the bass line on the Hendrix version of 'All along the watchtower'. Quite bouncy and bootiful.

Also love Holger's bass line on Can's 'Vitimin C' from the eponimous 'Ege Bamyasi' album. Worth a listen.

TNBA

TTF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nice and simple, but effective

And an ongoing dispute about who played it. Could have been Leroy Taylor, Eddie Watkins, James Jamerson or Bob Babbit. Think it's been narrowed down to James Jamerson or Bob Babbit (and Bob claims not to know !)

Last edited:

Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) - Simple Minds

Just played it on R2 - excellent bassline by Derek Forbes (according to Wikipedia), sadly not the most rock'n'roll of names.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here