Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2015

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What a game. The noise inside that stadium with the roof closed must have been incredible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Cubs last night, the Blue Jays tonight, the Royals winning tonight - decisive games in front of a home crowd in blue and white going crazy. You have to fear for the Mets...

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
Who is feeling worse right now - the pitcher Dyson or Elvis Andrus? Hamels must wish he'd done to the Dodgers instead.
Elvis. He has played Gold Glove defense for the past 3 months and then has an inexplicable meltdown. Two simple errors and a missed pick at 2nd, back-to-back-to-back. Without that, Bautista has no opportunity to cream the long ball.

The 7th inning lasted nearly an hour and, having followed the Rangers since 86, I've never watched an inning quite like it. The umpires did really well in very difficult circumstances.

The worst thing is I have clients in Toronto with whom I have to talk today. I have the time difference to get my head around that.

It's been an unbelievable 2nd half of the season for Texas, far exceeding expectations given injuries and form. With Darvish fit next season we will be contending again.

I can't quite yet say Good Luck to the BJs, but as Barry said, it's been an incredible postseason so far, if only I was neutral I could enjoy it.

#NeverEverQuit.

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Cubs v blue Jays World Series for me. Although tbh anyone bar the mets!! This post season has already had everything,just a shame the games are now going to be mainly in the middle of the night for us. Thankfully am over in the states during the World Series!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Elvis. He has played Gold Glove defense for the past 3 months and then has an inexplicable meltdown. Two simple errors and a missed pick at 2nd, back-to-back-to-back. Without that, Bautista has no opportunity to cream the long ball.

As a baseball ignoramus who has been watching a few games this season and had the good fortune to watch last night from the third innings - why did the Rangers sub their starting pitcher ? Was it a tiredness thing, if so what were they saving him for ? He seemed to have the game under control.

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
As a baseball ignoramus who has been watching a few games this season and had the good fortune to watch last night from the third innings - why did the Rangers sub their starting pitcher ? Was it a tiredness thing, if so what were they saving him for ? He seemed to have the game under control.
Hamels had made 111 pitches which is just about the limit. Beyond that, the action starts to break down and there is danger of longterm injury.

Also, Texas has had a very strong bullpen who normally take care of innings 7-9. In Game 2 they took care of innings 7-14! I believe that was the first HR Dyson has given up to a right handed batter ALL SEASON! Which is an indication of the pressure in that game.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hamels had made 111 pitches which is just about the limit. Beyond that, the action starts to break down and there is danger of longterm injury.

Also, Texas has had a very strong bullpen who normally take care of innings 7-9. In Game 2 they took care of innings 7-14! I believe that was the first HR Dyson has given up to a right handed batter ALL SEASON! Which is an indication of the pressure in that game.

Ah ok. Thanks. I have watched a bit of baseball this season and the coolness of the fielders always impresses. The series of fumbles was a real surprise. Dyson looked properly shell-shocked.

leo.eyles

May 7, 2015
Ah ok. Thanks. I have watched a bit of baseball this season and the coolness of the fielders always impresses. The series of fumbles was a real surprise. Dyson looked properly shell-shocked.
Infielders normally know precisely how much time they have to throw out runners, based on the speed of the bouncing ball and of the respective runner. Elvis is normally the coolest of the cool which made his errors so inexplicable.

It's a game of such fantastically subtle complexity that you are always learning something. I've been watching it 30 years and didn't know the rule that led to the catcher's throwing error in the 7th. Neither did most of the BJs fans: hence the near riot.

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Infielders normally know precisely how much time they have to throw out runners, based on the speed of the bouncing ball and of the respective runner. Elvis is normally the coolest of the cool which made his errors so inexplicable.

It's a game of such fantastically subtle complexity that you are always learning something. I've been watching it 30 years and didn't know the rule that led to the catcher's throwing error in the 7th. Neither did most of the BJs fans: hence the near riot.

Despite all the controversy and the call that lead to the near riot, the umpires got every single call right, the game was brilliantly and fairly officiated l.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

There is also decent explanation here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher

Pitching is not a natural movement for the human body, thus it is very wearing.

Loved that bat flip too!!
Haha, yes I have a couple of mates in Toronto who have changed their profile pic to this:

12106970_10156298283060438_7809551894071060313_n.jpg

:thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There is also decent explanation here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher

Pitching is not a natural movement for the human body, thus it is very wearing.

Cheers for that. It all makes sense. I have just been watching it this season without worrying about the complexities of the game. Just admiring the athleticism and skill. That was an amazing catch earlier in the game - full length dive at full speed.

What do they chew that generates so much spit ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers for that. It all makes sense. I have just been watching it this season without worrying about the complexities of the game. Just admiring the athleticism and skill. That was an amazing catch earlier in the game - full length dive at full speed.

What do they chew that generates so much spit ?

Tobacco

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Last night was baseball at its best, the last 3 innings of the Blue Jays - Rangers game had just about everything type of major incident you could wish for.

In a surreal twist, as soon as that game had ended there were similar crowd scenes in the Royals vs Astros game, right down to the royal blue, sky blue and white colours worn by the fans.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Blue Jays vs. Royals match-up as they're two excellent sides.

This post-season is like a throw-back to the mid-eighties with some of the teams in contention.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Last night was baseball at its best, the last 3 innings of the Blue Jays - Rangers game had just about everything type of major incident you could wish for.

In a surreal twist, as soon as that game had ended there were similar crowd scenes in the Royals vs Astros game, right down to the royal blue, sky blue and white colours worn by the fans.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Blue Jays vs. Royals match-up as they're two excellent sides.

This post-season is like a throw-back to the mid-eighties with some of the teams in contention.

Fantastic for the crowds, but let's face it, the bottom of the 7th in Toronto was a basketcase:

Three routine plays totally fcked up by Elvis Andrus led to the home run, plus the catch over the head that probably should have been taken in the left field. As the commentator says in this video (which covers all the crucial bits of that 40 minute passage of play), all four Blue Jay runs were unearned:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/114932...classic-three-errors-lead-to-four-runs-in-7th

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here