Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2015

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I need to start getting into this - I've got tickets to see the Colorado Rockies in July and I currently don't know a single thing about baseball!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
when you understand the feeling of standing in old Yankee stadium, its almost as spine chilling as standing in the north stand at the Goldestone.

The resemblance between old Yankee stadium and the North stand must be more uncanny than ever these days.

As one of the tour guides at Fenway Park said "they tore it all down...I think they're afraid of history or something...", prompting a Yankees fan in our group thoroughly and loudly to lose his sh1t with him.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
You can usually watch games on youtube a day or so after they happen. Check out this guys channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLZQFRDfdKnkumzpCksdYcw . Alternatively you can subscribe to MLB TV and watch games across both the National and American leagues. As for teams to support I'd say anyone but the Yankees purely because they are like the Man U of baseball. I'm a Mets and Bluejays fan personally but will watch any game going.

MLB TV has a "Game of the Day" every day too which I think anyone can watch for free. The sub for watching everything is over £100, but for a tenner or so, there's an option on the At Bat app which means you get highlights/video wraps etc pretty much as they happen.

Great performance by Madison Bumgarner for SF yesterday, against big local rivals the Dodgers with their ace Kershaw on the mound. Shut them out and hit a home run too ...
http://m.mlb.com/video/v125136583/?game_pk=414262

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I need to start getting into this - I've got tickets to see the Colorado Rockies in July and I currently don't know a single thing about baseball!

Its quite easy:

Star spangled Banner sung
Local celeb/prize winner throws a ball
Young child on big screen says "Play Ball"
1 team bats 1 team fields
1st innings or "top of the first" starts with a batter and a pitcher "bowler" who throws ball. If batter hits it he must run unless he hits it behind the lines to the left and right "foul ball".
Batter gets 3 goes (strikes), a foul ball counts as a strike BUT if its the third strike it doesn't count
If the pitcher throws the ball outside of an imaginary rectangle (ie where the batter cannot hit it) that is a ball - if there are 4 balls before 3 strikes the batter can walk to first base.
A batter is out if he has 3 strikes, he hits the ball and is caught or he is run out, ie the ball gets to the base before he does. He can also be tagged - touched by a fielding player who has the ball.
If a batter runs from 3rd base to 4th base the team get a run. If a batter hits the ball out of the play area its a home run and he (and anybody else on the bases) runs all the way round.
After 3 outs the teams change and that is then the bottom of the 1st.
This happens for nine innings unless the score is tied (no draws in the USA) when you keep playing until a team is ahead after the second innings.
After the top of the 7th you get the "7th innings stretch" where everybody stands up and sings "take me out to the ball game"
You can eat and drink all game and unless you are in the middle of a row you will be constantly getting up so the Americans can get more food or drink.
Songs to learn - "lets go Rockies, lets go"and "Rockies, Rockies, Rockies"

That's really about it, most games are about 3-4 hours although the Americans usually watch about 60 minutes of as the rest of the time they are getting food, drink or visiting the toilet.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
MLB TV has a "Game of the Day" every day too which I think anyone can watch for free. The sub for watching everything is over £100, but for a tenner or so, there's an option on the At Bat app which means you get highlights/video wraps etc pretty much as they happen.

Great performance by Madison Bumgarner for SF yesterday, against big local rivals the Dodgers with their ace Kershaw on the mound. Shut them out and hit a home run too ...
http://m.mlb.com/video/v125136583/?game_pk=414262

According to some detectives here in Chicago there is one game every day (usually in the afternoon in the states so about 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. in UK) free on MLB.tv.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Its quite easy:

1st innings or "top of the first" starts with a batter and a pitcher "bowler" who throws ball. If batter hits it he must run unless he hits it behind the lines to the left and right "foul ball".
Batter gets 3 goes (strikes), a foul ball counts as a strike BUT if its the third strike it doesn't count
If the pitcher throws the ball outside of an imaginary rectangle (ie where the batter cannot hit it) that is a ball - if there are 4 balls before 3 strikes the batter can walk to first base.
A batter is out if he has 3 strikes, he hits the ball and is caught or he is run out, ie the ball gets to the base before he does. He can also be tagged - touched by a fielding player who has the ball.
If a batter runs from 3rd base to 4th base the team get a run. If a batter hits the ball out of the play area its a home run and he (and anybody else on the bases) runs all the way round.
This happens for nine innings unless the score is tied (no draws in the USA) when you keep playing until a team is ahead after the second innings.
After the top of the 7th you get the "7th innings stretch" where everybody stands up and sings "take me out to the ball game"
You can eat and drink all game and unless you are in the middle of a row you will be constantly getting up so the Americans can get more food or drink.

That's really about it, most games are about 3-4 hours although the Americans usually watch about 60 minutes of as the rest of the time they are getting food, drink or visiting the toilet.

No ground rule double, no infield fly rule, no stealing of bases (this is my favourite), no talk of bunting, no hit and run, no sacrifice fly, nothing about the new use of instant replay (I have to believe that the umpires hate this), no full count, no catchers interference, no balks, no talk of pitches--fastball, curveball, sliders, knuckleballs--I have no idea how to even grip it that way and then throw it towards the home plate--actually maybe one of two still throw that pitch, split-finger fastball, cutters, four seam fastball, two seam fastball, etc., no doubleplays, no hit-by-pitch, no walks, no designated hitter (they don't use that rule in the National League unless they play a team in an American League city), no talk of signals from the third base coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ALb8uYdmQ

Ok, I'll stop.

May 14, 2015
The resemblance between old Yankee stadium and the North stand must be more uncanny than ever these days.

As one of the tour guides at Fenway Park said "they tore it all down...I think they're afraid of history or something...", prompting a Yankees fan in our group thoroughly and loudly to lose his sh1t with him.

Typical Red Sox, cant compare themselves with the Yankees based on world series, so always take digs at them for the smallest things, i've even once heard someone say the reason that the red sox are better than the yankees is the "Green Monster". i struggle to see how a wall can bring 27 world series. None the less, ill admit i did want the red sox to win the world series the year of the Boston bombings, and that obstruction call that meant the cardinals won, although it may be the correct call, i did feel a moment of sympathy for them.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

What a treat !! I went to see my team play four games at Coors Field in 2013. And I have to tell you that it is a brilliant place to go.

The stadium is a ten minute walk from downtown Denver
I would strongly recommend you get on a stadium tour. Costs about ten dollars, lasts an hour and well worth it.
The home fans are friendly and you will love buying food and drink from your seat
If you are smart enough to be in "Club" seats, you choose whatever you want from a menu at your seat (beers, spirits, wine, full meals) and pay a guy with a card or cash and then someone else brings it to your seat. Treated like a valued customer. I bloody love it.
You can get up and walk around the stadium during the game and still watch the game if you want
I was so impressed with the Stewards. Wait till you see them. Mostly older people. So polite and helpful. Everywhere they are. All friendly. Amazing

And who are you watching?
LA Angels ? from the American league - superstar Albert Pujols to hit home runs?
Atlanta Braves ? four games in Denver
Texas Rangers ? also from the American League so it'll be fun watching their pitchers bat (they don't usually)
Cincinnatti Reds ? beat them for me please

I'm extremely envious. I loved my trip to Denver.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Its quite easy:

Great, job done. Thanks!

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
What a treat !! I went to see my team play four games at Coors Field in 2013. And I have to tell you that it is a brilliant place to go.

The stadium is a ten minute walk from downtown Denver
I would strongly recommend you get on a stadium tour. Costs about ten dollars, lasts an hour and well worth it.
The home fans are friendly and you will love buying food and drink from your seat
If you are smart enough to be in "Club" seats, you choose whatever you want from a menu at your seat (beers, spirits, wine, full meals) and pay a guy with a card or cash and then someone else brings it to your seat. Treated like a valued customer. I bloody love it.
You can get up and walk around the stadium during the game and still watch the game if you want
I was so impressed with the Stewards. Wait till you see them. Mostly older people. So polite and helpful. Everywhere they are. All friendly. Amazing

And who are you watching?
LA Angels ? from the American league - superstar Albert Pujols to hit home runs?
Atlanta Braves ? four games in Denver
Texas Rangers ? also from the American League so it'll be fun watching their pitchers bat (they don't usually)
Cincinnatti Reds ? beat them for me please

I'm extremely envious. I loved my trip to Denver.

Ooo this has made me even more excited about my trip! We are seeing the LA Angels. Not sure where we are sat though, I've let the boyfriend sort all of that out, but it's probably not a "club" seat.

We're in Denver for 6 days in total, spending 2 nights camping in the Rocky Mountains National Park and the rest in downtown Denver. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the area and I think I'm going to absolutely love it there!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Ooo this has made me even more excited about my trip! We are seeing the LA Angels. Not sure where we are sat though, I've let the boyfriend sort all of that out, but it's probably not a "club" seat.

We're in Denver for 6 days in total, spending 2 nights camping in the Rocky Mountains National Park and the rest in downtown Denver. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the area and I think I'm going to absolutely love it there!

Check out Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret if you fancy a bit of burlesque.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Tattered Cover Bookstore if you like books
Too many brilliant eating places downtown than I have room here to list

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No ground rule double, no infield fly rule, no stealing of bases (this is my favourite), no talk of bunting, no hit and run, no sacrifice fly, nothing about the new use of instant replay (I have to believe that the umpires hate this), no full count, no catchers interference, no balks, no talk of pitches--fastball, curveball, sliders, knuckleballs--I have no idea how to even grip it that way and then throw it towards the home plate--actually maybe one of two still throw that pitch, split-finger fastball, cutters, four seam fastball, two seam fastball, etc., no doubleplays, no hit-by-pitch, no walks, no designated hitter (they don't use that rule in the National League unless they play a team in an American League city), no talk of signals from the third base coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ALb8uYdmQ

Ok, I'll stop.

Come on I was explaining it to a GIRL :wink:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Ouch lets hope your wife and daughter don't read that :lol:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
[MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] - just wondering what your take is on the managerial change at your Miami Marlins? Seems a very strange decision to appoint the GM as manager when the only coaching experience he has is a brief spell in High School 30 years ago. I saw a quote from the owner saying:-

That would seem to be the equivalent of Tony Bloom appointing David Burke as manager last summer. :ohmy:

Anyway, his first series has just resulted in a 4-game sweep by my D'backs, so it's a :thumbsup: from me!

I was told the Marlins owner, Loria, I believe, is the biggest knob owner in the world of sport.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
As a Cubs fan I am very happy with how the first quarter of the season has progressed. Had a lot of media hype around us going into the season but anything over .500 was going to be an achievement considering how young this team is. Kris Bryant and Rizzo have been excellent and we're winning close games we would have lost last year (last night not withstanding).

Dec 15, 2014
Here
As a Cubs fan I am very happy with how the first quarter of the season has progressed. Had a lot of media hype around us going into the season but anything over .500 was going to be an achievement considering how young this team is. Kris Bryant and Rizzo have been excellent and we're winning close games we would have lost last year (last night not withstanding).

and what a finish......I usually don't watch baseball that late......in the top of the 10th inning the Cubs scored 2 runs and looked certain to win. I turned the telly off. Later I checked to make sure the Cubs had won but the Dbacks had scored 2 runs in the bottom of the 10th inning. It was 4-4. In the bottom of the 12th inning the Dbacks got the bases loaded with 1 out and had two different batters strike out to waste their opportunity. Then in the 13th inning the Cubs also got the bases loaded but also could not score. Finally in the bottom of the 13th inning the Dbacks scored the winning run on a "walk-off" single that scored the runner. Final score Arizona 5, Chicago Cubs 4.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Anyone else got horrible interference on the Padres/Dodgers game?

Edit - now fixed, unfortunately. Dodgers 8-0 down, middle of the second. Ouch...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here