Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart

Jimmy Grimble

I assume he was picked as RDZ views him as the better option for dealing with set pieces, which West Ham were going to look to utilise.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Yeah not on him, but I was shocked when Steele wasn’t picked. He’s had a great start to the season.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Bart did nothing wrong but changing keepers for the sake of it is disruptive for the defenders. I’m really not sure what attributes of Bart’s RDZ was expecting to give us an advantage over a West Ham low block that would be better than we’d have with Steele?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
It's hard to judge on him on yesterdays game, so I'll reserve judgement for now.
This. It sounds a bit daft to say he "didn't have much to do" in a game where three goals are conceded, but he really didn't have much to do.

He was left exposed by our defense for the goals, so he really had no chance to save them. Outside of that West Ham didn't really test him or press him.

Should he keep his place for the next game? I really don't know based on what I've seen of him. Luckily the coaching staff see him in every training session and know where he's at in terms of being ready. So I'll trust in that.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
We didn’t get to see much of him, so hard to judge. Defending was poor, and the goals weren’t his fault.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I do think Verbruggen should shoulder some of the responsibility for the first goal. Whilst it is certainly poor from Webster, Verbruggen is indecisive on whether he is showing for the ball to be played back to him or not. If he didn’t want the ball played back to him he should’ve made that verbally clear.

I just can’t see that mistake happening if Steele had started. He is very vocal.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
This. It sounds a bit daft to say he "didn't have much to do" in a game where three goals are conceded, but he really didn't have much to do.

He was left exposed by our defense for the goals, so he really had no chance to save them. Outside of that West Ham didn't really test him or press him.

Should he keep his place for the next game? I really don't know based on what I've seen of him. Luckily the coaching staff see him in every training session and know where he's at in terms of being ready. So I'll trust in that.
Couple of shots hit at him that he caught both of. Quick off his line to deal with a chance in the second half. Commanded his box excellently, great punch when he injured Soucek and at least one other great claim through a crowd before launching the counter attack.

Also looks extremely confident on the ball. Very exciting player for me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I do think Verbruggen should shoulder some of the responsibility for the first goal. Whilst it is certainly poor from Webster, Verbruggen is indecisive on whether he is showing for the ball to be played back to him or not. If he didn’t want the ball played back to him he should’ve made that verbally clear.

I just can’t see that mistake happening if Steele had started. He is very vocal.
Agree. And Antonio had a 1 on 1 after the 3rd goal where verbruggen was so slow coming out. Worrying that we have conceded so many the two games he's played. Touch of the Matt Ryan's there , but early days.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I’d love to hear what RDZs logic was for starting him yesterday. He’s obviously got something, but starting him yesterday felt unnecessarily disruptive and it proved to be the case, even if he wasn’t directly responsible for the goals.

el punal

Crazy decision by RDZ in my opinion. Why upset a defence that had only conceded a couple of goals by changing goalie? Steele had done absolutely nothing wrong and based on yesterday's performance is the better goalie.
So by implication you are saying that Steele would have stopped all three goals? Oh well, forget the fact that Bart was left totally exposed on all of them. :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bart needs first team experience…….got to play at some point. No reason why yesterday wasn’t a sensible opportunity

Last edited:

el punal

I’d love to hear what RDZs logic was for starting him yesterday. He’s obviously got something, but starting him yesterday felt unnecessarily disruptive and it proved to be the case, even if he wasn’t directly responsible for the goals.
Disruptive? How? Did he make any errors? No. Yet you contradict yourself by stating he wasn’t directly responsible for the goals. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here