[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've said all along Steele's shot stopping has been poor but that his ability to play from the back last season was key to how De Zerbi wants to play.

Verbruggen is a better shot stopper whilst also being nearly as good with his feet and is over 10 years younger than Steele.

If it was my choice I would have started the season with Steele but phased him out as Verbruggen got more comfortable with the play style.

I agree with that last bit, only out of desperation to end 7 months of PL poor form …. I’d try anything.

But then against ManC, most of Verbruggen’s fans here thought it only right that he didn’t face them in case it knocked his confidence. I’ve not heard that said about a fans favourite goalie before. Undermining the “Just select one and stick with it” argument.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I agree with that last bit, only out of desperation to end 7 months of PL poor form …. I’d try anything.

But then against ManC, most of Verbruggen’s fans here thought it only right that he didn’t face them in case it knocked his confidence. I’ve not heard that said about a fans favourite goalie before. Undermining the “Just select one and stick with it” argument.
We can agree on something then because that argument is ridiculous if true.

We gave Barco his first Prem start against City and seemingly told him never go long resulting in us giving up a goal (partly due to Steele but I'm not blaming any player for that goal).

If you're going to grow players you have to play them in the tough games too.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Bart will play every game in the euro’s he will appear a better keeper because the manager doesn’t take risks at the back he plays with more confidence for Holland which is strange.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bart will play every game in the euro’s he will appear a better keeper because the manager doesn’t take risks at the back he plays with more confidence for Holland which is strange.

I’ve never been too bothered by The Great NSC Goalies Debate this season, except for defending Steele’s honour. To me it’s a distraction or red herring, from the woeful summer 23 transfer window and its consequences now felt every week. I dream that one day soon we’ll have decent fullbacks and a proper centre midfield.

I believe the points per game for the 15 games Steele was in goal were almost identical to the 23 with Sanchez in goal.
Steele’s were at the business end of the season when the real pressure comes on. But “we got away with him in goal” apparently with a clean sheet at the Emirates while ending Arsenal’s title hopes 🙄

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

He definitely should have played vs City.

The chopping and changing has not helped either of them.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Is it a coincidence his worst performance for some time has come after he was randomly dropped then reinstated after a long run in the team?
Not really. I think de zerbi was protecting him from city & put steele out as a sacrificial lamb

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Second was a free header, didn’t think he had much chance.
Bournemouth exposed Offiah in every attack in the second half initially. For 20 mins, that was the worst I’ve seen us play since Hyypia.

The first, I thought he was a bit slow reacting.
I would agree he had a free header but as a keeper Bart should have seen this and had been tighter to him with his hands high. I do believe Steele would have been better positioned and saved most of those goals, but as I said we didn't deserve a thing from that match, I don't feel Bart is really all that, but that could be said of RDZ at present. Let's just hope we snap out of this very soon.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would agree he had a free header but as a keeper Bart should have seen this and had been tighter to him with his hands high. I do believe Steele would have been better positioned and saved most of those goals, but as I said we didn't deserve a thing from that match, I don't feel Bart is really all that, but that could be said of RDZ at present. Let's just hope we snap out of this very soon.
Not when a ball is cut back, he’s going from near to far post. The actual header was further out, so it wasn’t a question of being tight.

Re Steele, possibly, but KdB was possibly further out Wednesday…. And it’s not like he’s covered himself in glory this year.

Perhaps Rushworth will get a chance next year?

But agree, let’s hope we turn this round…

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I’ll be very interested to see how much Bart features for the Netherlands in the summer.

It’s totally conceivable that he’s the starting keeper for a team who go very deep in the tournament.

Would be odd, then if he comes back and is competing with Steele and Rushworth and not starting every week

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Not when a ball is cut back, he’s going from near to far post. The actual header was further out, so it wasn’t a question of being tight.

Re Steele, possibly, but KdB was possibly further out Wednesday…. And it’s not like he’s covered himself in glory this year.

Perhaps Rushworth will get a chance next year?

But agree, let’s hope we turn this round…
Not sure we will agree on this one! But Rushworth would be good to see I agree, he sounds promising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports