Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, we have some good young talent at the club in goalkeeping postions, but that's exactly what the are, young.

Another season or two, and one or either could be knocking on the door of the first team squad.
Rushworth is more than a year older than Verbruggen!

Edit: Beaten to it!

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Players don't develop in a straight line. Steele has just had the best season of is career at the age of 32.
McGill is happy to stay at the club to be the #3 - Rushworth who is the England u21 #2 is looking to play #1 for a side this season and he won't get that at the Albion. Beadle is likely to get that at Oxford. And Sanchez is not happy sitting on the bench so will be sold. And Verbruggen is here with an eye to the future, will presumably come in to be the #2 and play the cup games , potentially more, at least and fits the RDZ style And i guess the club want to see more from Scherpen or he's not in favour - so a further loan for him.
(and presumably club can recall keepers if they need to )
Only in January!

I think Scherpen is probably a gonna as far as an Albion career is concerned.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Get it but Recoiling a bit from framing what are an England u21 and an England u18 keeper as “not impressive enough”.
I was replying to the comment:

'Incredible signing. But cain't help but feel sorry for Steele and all the other impressive young keepers coming back from loan.'

So clearly - regardless of what their levels are or international achievements they have - they are 'not impressive enough' to make the step up! Hence paying out £16m for a keeper.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If he's better than Steele and becomes our number 1 I'll have to get used to it.

Always have a lot of time for goalkeepers. Hard decisions to make. I'd be a rubbish football manager, we'd still have Nicky Rust in goal it I had to make decisions like that (unless he chose to retire).

I don't even have any antipathy towards Sanchez.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Don't think that's correct.

They can only be recalled during the transfer windows.
I think you can if you are unable to field a squad with two fit goalkeepers, but only if it's a short term loan. I can't see us doing that though given that we have 218 goalkeepers at the club.

Palace are a good example last season (the one time they are an example), when they lost their two main keepers (Guaita and Johnstone) and had to field their youth keeper (Whitworth) but couldn't recall Butland from his loan at Man U.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think you can if you are unable to field a squad with two fit goalkeepers, but only if it's a short term loan. I can't see us doing that though given that we have 218 goalkeepers at the club.

Palace are a good example last season (the one time they are an example), when they lost their two main keepers (Guaita and Johnstone) and had to field their youth keeper (Whitworth) but couldn't recall Butland from his loan at Man U.

There aren't any short term loans anymore, only full season or half season.

My understanding is that players can only be recalled during the transfer window and there has to be a prior agreement in place that the parent club has the right to recall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Keeper rule is quite (deliberately I think) vague :

V.7.6. not more than two Temporary Transfers shall be registered by a Club at the same time except that there shall be excluded from that number: V.7.6.1. any Temporary Transfer which become permanent; and

V.7.6.2. the Temporary Transfer of a goalkeeper which in its absolute discretion the Board may allow in circumstances it considers to be exceptional;

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought he played well last night. Not much he could do about the goals. Very comfortable on the ball. One dodgy pass, but his passes out to the wings were excellent. It will be interesting to see who gets the number one spot this season
He did, but surely Steele starts, one game apart did really well last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here