Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BARNSLEY. What on earth are they doing?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They've already been IN the Premier League – promoted in 1997. Granted it was in a slightly different era to now – with FAR more money at stake – but at least they've had a shot.

Loads of clubs don't have financial backers with deep pockets. Maybe they players were sold to keep them afloat? Maybe they are accepting that they will be a championship side for the time being and this was the best option for the club?

Difficult to judge without knowing the numbers involved but yes, I can see why as a fan, you'd be less than happy.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Let's hope any new players are still unsettled on the 18th Feb then.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It should be remembered that Barnsley had one season 1997-98 in the "Premier League era" - I can't recall if they made a go of it by making expensive signings or went with what they had to get them there. After dropping back to the second tier with parachute payments (were they in existence then?) apart from a fourth place finish in 1999-00 they didn't fare well and went to the third tier after four seasons in 2001-02 and have been bouncing between the two since then.

I guess ambition must be in question.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With all 3 off in the summer, they really had no choice.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Imagine for one moment, you're a lifelong fan of Barnsley. Putting aside all the whippets / flat caps / outside toilets stuff - you're a devoted supporter of a proper local football club - no delusions about your place in football's pecking order, but the same hopes and dreams as fans all over the nation.

Given their place in that food chain, you'd say that a top half Championship finish would be a very good result for the Tykes. But here they are, this season, under an unheralded, young, local manager, in position to make a genuine stab at a play-off place - as I write, sat just two places and a mere four points behind sixth spot. Get themselves into the end of season knock-out, and they've a CHANCE of a fantastical Premier League place - something that could utterly transform the club for years - possibly decades - to come.

How do you feel as a fan, (or as that young manager) that the board's response to this situation, is to sell, not just one, but all three of your side's best players?

Top scorer Sam Winnall has gone, for no more than loose change - to rub salt into Tykes' wounds - to a hated local rival. Coveted young defender James Bree has gone - to Aston Villa for a couple of million. Before the month is out, star man Connor Hourihane will have followed them - also to Villa most likely. Losing all three is painful enough - for all three to move to clubs rivaling your own for those play-off spots is a proper kick in the teeth. Enough to make you question your board's ambition, and ask yourself what the point is.

I'd LOVE it if they were to prove me wrong, kick on and get sixth place. They couldn't be making it any harder for themselves, though.

We bought there top scorer once.......

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hourihane has been offered £30,000 a week by Villa, it's ten times his current wage. Can't blame him for leaving.

I was going to say we should have put some bids in... until I saw this.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 4-1 TONKING we took in the League Cup in 1980/81 was one of my lowest moments during the top flight years. The locals didn't take too kindly to southerners either.

A few of us were having a few pints in the United Services Club, Haywards Heath, that night.

I remember the steward, a yorkshireman, reading that result over the PA to extract the most urine out of us.

A low point indeed.

Yep, all three out of contract in the summer

So no real story here then - Barnsley realistically have to plan for their survival next season in Champ, not some Don Quixote tilt at promotion to Prem. Fans entitled to have a whinge about it to let off steam tho

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Just makes you realise how lucky we are to have TB and the backroom team. No one can say it's been an easy path for the Albion to get where we are now. Barnsley have a struggle on their hands but this gives them an opportunity to create a strong team spirit and keep fighting. We all love an underdog, even if they are stroppy northern monkeys.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While from the dream world that many supporters live in, this could be seen as a kick in the teeth, in the real world (or crazy world where football is concerned) this decision by the club may just be a beacon for others to follow.

The club obviously have a rigid wage budget and just can not afford to go from paying £3k a week to £30k a week, otherwise they may break FFP regulations or more likely be unable to adhere to their financial plan to enable them to stay afloat and not move towards administration.

The can not afford the players to go for nothing in the summer and therefore are exposed to getting as much as they can in the January sale period. Hopefully for their fans they will be able to reinvest some of this money for replacements who will have the rest of season to get up to speed with the division if they are promising youngsters.

Just maybe more local league clubs will follow this sensible financial approach and not risk the future of the club against gambling for a promotion. For every Bournemouth there is a Portsmouth....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The 4-1 TONKING we took in the League Cup in 1980/81 was one of my lowest moments during the top flight years. The locals didn't take too kindly to southerners either.

Don't remind me, the highlight of my trip up and back was getting a truckers mug of coffee on the M1 on the long and late way home.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Not every club has a CPFC2010 approach to football finance .

I wish them well ( except the 18th Feb of course ) and would love to see them promoted via the play offs .

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Looking forward to Sky pundits crediting shrewd old "Brucey" for discovering these players and getting a right bargain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here