Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley roll-call

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No I haven't had the pleasure, it was ever so slightly tongue-in-cheek.

I've been to Grimbsy, Rotherham and Port Vale, how bad can Barnsley be?

I'm sure it'll be lovely, and I can't wait to hear what constitutes hospitality at Oakwell :)

I went last season (cheap seats) and to be totally honest, I didn't think it was THAT bad. Maybe it's an easy cliché to slate Barnsley so our expectations are so much worse, or maybe it's because it was quite dark (evening game). But my recollection is that I've been to far worse places in pursuit of the Albion. Birkenhead. Blackburn. Croydon (obviously). Very friendly locals. Possibly helped by (a) their low pre-match expectations and (b) them subsequently winning. Found an extremely pleasant pub no more than ten minutes from the ground. What's not to like?

Apart from losing, I mean.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure it'll be lovely, and I can't wait to hear what constitutes hospitality at Oakwell :)

I went last season (cheap seats) and to be totally honest, I didn't think it was THAT bad. Maybe it's an easy cliché to slate Barnsley so our expectations are so much worse, or maybe it's because it was quite dark (evening game). But my recollection is that I've been to far worse places in pursuit of the Albion. Birkenhead. Blackburn. Croydon (obviously). Very friendly locals. Possibly helped by (a) their low pre-match expectations and (b) them subsequently winning. Found an extremely pleasant pub no more than ten minutes from the ground. What's not to like?

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the tour of the stadium, I've always wanted to see what it used to be like behind the scenes at a football ground.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The thing I'm most looking forward to is the tour of the stadium, I've always wanted to see what it used to be like behind the scenes at a football ground.

Probably not quite like Wembley. Or the Amex. More like the Goldstone.

But I bet they'll be lovely people. My experience of such things is that staff at clubs like Barnsley tend to be extremely welcoming, much more so than at bigger clubs.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I went last season and have to say other than the defeat I thought it was all rather pleasant. Stayed overnight in the best premier inn I've ever been to with my son for about £40. Barnsley seemed quite nice, in an old Yorkshire town way.

This time, I'm taking both junior Giraffe's, staying Friday night in the premier inn, so looking forward to seeing Barnsley on a saturday morning. I'm sure it will be very nice indeed. Let's hope we win this time though.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick

But I bet they'll be lovely people. My experience of such things is that staff at clubs like Barnsley tend to be extremely welcoming, much more so than at bigger clubs.

I'm pretty sure that it's Barnsley where the kitman has been employed by the club for something like 70 odd years. Firstly as a player and then coach, groundsman, odd-job man and now the kitman.

I like things like that in professional Football.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure that it's Barnsley where the kitman has been employed by the club for something like 70 odd years. Firstly as a player and then coach, groundsman, odd-job man and now the kitman.

I like things like that in professional Football.

Yep. Proper old school club. Very much a local team. Unfashionable, and right on Sheffield's doorstep. But a good club.

I'm trying to rope [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] in for Saturday as we speak, he loves places like Barnsley.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Me + 2 via Meadowhall. The current plan is to completely revamp Meadowhall as one of the rail transport hubs for HS2 in 20 years time unless they go for the more sensible option of Sheffield city centre.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Me + 2 via Meadowhall. The current plan is to completely revamp Meadowhall as one of the rail transport hubs for HS2 in 20 years time unless they go for the more sensible option of Sheffield city centre.

Seems a little ambitious for a Saturday afternoon. I'll probably just go to the game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Seems a little ambitious for a Saturday afternoon. I'll probably just go to the game.

We're only stopping off for a bite to eat at Meadowhall's shopping complex :lol: Plus it cuts 10 minutes journey time each way by not going into Sheffield.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

A few years ago, (well quite a few actually, back in the mid eighties) and long before the days of hospitality packages, standing forlornly outside Oakwell in the rain waiting for the gates to open, a club official, (the then Club Secretary l think), took pity on my friend and l, and invited us in. He gave us a cup of tea and proudly showed us their trophy 'shelf' lol

Very nice people indeed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few of us have hired a box for the match as a 40th birthday celebration for [MENTION=3099]Lokki 7[/MENTION]. Really can't wait - haven't done an all-dayer like this for a long long time!

I literally can not wait to leave home around 5:15 on Saturday morning for this. Bring. It. On.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having a beer at 8.40am should be fine then. That's a good 4 hours after waking up, so practically the afternoon

8:40?

I thought you said you were going on a Leo. You seem to be wasting a good couple of hours there :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here