Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley fan cautioned over homophobic Brighton chants

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Interestingly, there was mention that comments on a message board/forum were used to establish information in this case.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Still can't believe you can get charged for this offence:)
How is calling straight people faggots offensive?the world is going mad:lol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

I think we're talking a bit more than just calling someone a faggot. When you see these [apparent] adults spouting a stream of verbal abuse, a tirade littered with expletives and offensive words referring to homosexuals, giving it the 'come on' rubbish, seemingly about to burst a blood vessel and spitting bits of half time pie, then I think there is just cause to take some action. Hopefully the message will get out there, and these imbeciles will pack it in, and we can get back to sensible football banter.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think we're talking a bit more than just calling someone a faggot. When you see these [apparent] adults spouting a stream of verbal abuse, a tirade littered with expletives and offensive words referring to homosexuals, giving it the 'come on' rubbish, seemingly about to burst a blood vessel and spitting bits of half time pie, then I think there is just cause to take some action. Hopefully the message will get out there, and these imbeciles will pack it in, and we can get back to sensible football banter.
Personally i couldn't give a shite about homophobic abuse,the whole thing is a tragedy end of.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
?? you oxymoron!

mm, Ok, not best put. What I mean is, regarding this current trend for some people to get unbelievably wound up and upset with opposing supporters when attending football matches, it's not good is it? In the past there were hooligans, thankfully most are now gone, or in old peoples homes, or at least they carry out their illicit behaviour out of sight now.

I have nothing against banter, generally winding up the opposition, references to piss poor players, nefarious owners, kerb crawling managers, geography, bestiality etc, it's a great part of football to me. Mix it up with vociferous and occasionally imaginative, singing and chanting, it contributes to making following your team a joy.

If, before, during or after a match, when you’re with friends, spouses, children, you have someone come up to you and scream vile abuse into your face, make threats and so on, that is just not normal, I hope the time is up for these people. It’s happened to me on a couple of occasions, the first thing I do is put myself between them and my wife, it’s just as well they are generally cowards, but it really is not a nice experience for decent people.

Fur Cough

I was there when this little cherub burst into this particular tirade. I had previously said on here that the whole gay chanting thing didn't bother me at all, not in the slightest but this was different.

What I and most normal sensible fans would call harmless banter was well and truly gone way beyond. This tirade was directed at the queue for the Brighton train from the bridge above, Children were in that queue and to be subjected to this tirade was enough for me and a couple of others to have a go back.

As I said banter is fine but this was far and away beyond "banter".

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
I remember walking past the bridge when this was going on and the guy shouting the abuse was making it more than banter so it wasn't like we get in the ground

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's a shame the fuzz didn't whack a proper charge on the odious little tosser. Still, at least he won't be repeating his cretinous behaviour in future after he got that nasty caution. :rolleyes:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was there when this little cherub burst into this particular tirade. I had previously said on here that the whole gay chanting thing didn't bother me at all, not in the slightest but this was different.

What I and most normal sensible fans would call harmless banter was well and truly gone way beyond. This tirade was directed at the queue for the Brighton train from the bridge above, Children were in that queue and to be subjected to this tirade was enough for me and a couple of others to have a go back.

As I said banter is fine but this was far and away beyond "banter".

This is absolutely spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here