Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes out hoskins in... Please

jd312

Feb 19, 2011
Perhaps I saw Hoskins at his best last year (rovers vs brighton). BUT with his quality (shown by his goal scoring record in a relegation side) and the performance's barnes has put in recently and i cant really be the only one thinking hoskins should be in the starting 11.

He's got to be next to CMS!!!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
perhaps the reason we didn't see him at all on saturday was to give barnes a whole game to make an impact... now there is less room for complaints if he is dropped for hoskins to start. subtle if so, we'll see against the Hammers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ashlety Barnes is on his way to becoming a legend. Not because he fits in with tippy-tappy, but because he has got bottle. I don't think we are getting the best out of him yet.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
perhaps the reason we didn't see him at all on saturday was to give barnes a whole game to make an impact... now there is less room for complaints if he is dropped for hoskins to start. subtle if so, we'll see against the Hammers.

Oddly enough I posted exactly that sentiment with regard to several of yesterdays starting eleven of whom the only one taken off was GD. I agree entirely with the OP.

I hope this proves to be an interesting week and look forward to seeing the start at the New Den on Tuesday which I am certain will include @Hosky7 amongst others.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Is Hoskins fully fit now?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
only get match fit by playing matches...barnes is a gd under rated player..but had a stinker on saturday imho..even his passing was poor at time...hopefully he will play btr against mill wall if picked

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
only get match fit by playing matches...barnes is a gd under rated player..but had a stinker on saturday imho..even his passing was poor at time...hopefully he will play btr against mill wall if picked

I think AB needs time to reflect as has been very poor recently.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
After watching him pretty much all season (didn't go Saturday, but listened on the radio), my judgement is that Ashley Barnes truly is an enigma. He works hard. It sounded like yesterday he was dropping back to defend quite frequently, and after seeing this against Palace, he does play a vital role if our midfield can't do the job properly. On the attacking side of things, I've often groaned at seeing his often painfully slow passing which slows an obvious move down, and he takes too long/loses his composure frequently in front of goal. However, he'll go and score a cracker of a goal, be in the right place at the right time from a corner or score a screamer of a penalty which'll win us games. I really can't decide how I feel about him. I'm not sure if Gus is playing him out of position or not.

Whilst I'm thus fairly neutral about him, we have to give Hoskins a go out there. It sounded like when Noone came on against Hull, we perked up, and bringing on Hoskins could have given us the impetus to snatch all three points. However you feel about Barnes, we need to see what Hosky has to offer.

D

Deleted User X18H

I can see Barnes being rested at Millwall its a squad game nowadays even for one of our size. And we have a fairly hectic shedule coming even though we have just had the international break. Might find out a bit more this morning.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hows about we trust in Gus?

I'll go with that - especially as he sees the players every day in training. Barnes has been a superb player for us since signing and doesn't deserve the criticism. This season, the way the games have shaped up, he's been forced to defend a lot but just gets on with it for the sake of the team. Sure, he misses the odd chance but his goal record speaks for itself. I'd like to see Hoskins involved too but not through any dislike of Barnes. In fact, as he can play wide left and AB has done similar on the right, could we even see both in with CMS one day? Unlikely at the moment though I'd imagine as we don't dominate games enough for that luxury.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not criticising Barnes in general, but he was poor on Sat, and looks out of place where Gus is playing him IMHO... time for Hoskins to get a chance to shine again...

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
I think the focus should be less on criticizing Barnes per se - he has been an admirable player but even his biggest supporters must see he some real shortcomings - but discussing what Hoskins can bring to the side.

I agree with the threadstarter, that having watched Hoskins playing for Rovers last year, the guy can play - movement, control, an eye for goal - and he too has the positional flexibility of Barnes by being able to play in off the wings or behind the front man. Remember also that Hoskins is 25, so is more developed as a player, while Barnes is in his formative years.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
Barnes is having a great season and playing better than I expected. He really is a great team player and links up play very well. Think we do need to a bit more of the hoss as cms can't do it all on his own. Gus knows best like you say as he sees them day in day out at training. Need some wins against millwall and west ham to get us back on track again.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Having watched the highlights back on my iphone app, it really was a cracking game. Barnes snatched at chances and although he linked up well with CMS, sometimes CMS was isolated and it took Barnes quite a while to get up close to him. I think he looked lacking in confidence. I think it might be a good idea to Start hoskins on Tuesday and see how it goes. Having said that Barnes works very hard and does alot ofr stuff people don't see.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In todays argus online article on Ankergren, I think Poyet is implying he will drop Barnes. He said he was thinking of dropping players before Hull and he mentions just 3 players specifically who had to go out and perform. They are Ankergren, Sparrow and Barnes.

Poyet then goes on to praise Ankergren for his best match in a month, he praises Sparrow and says he's definitely starting against Millwall, but he doesn't say a word about Barnes.

Reading between the lines, I'd say Hosky is likely

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In todays argus online article on Ankergren, I think Poyet is implying he will drop Barnes. He said he was thinking of dropping players before Hull and he mentions just 3 players specifically who had to go out and perform. They are Ankergren, Sparrow and Barnes.

Poyet then goes on to praise Ankergren for his best match in a month, he praises Sparrow and says he's definitely starting against Millwall, but he doesn't say a word about Barnes.

Reading between the lines, I'd say Hosky is likely

I mentioned this on another thread.
Ankergren keeps hold of No. 1 jersey with shutout From The Argus)

Some people are looking at this and saying gus mentions sparrow, ankergren and barnes as three of the 6 or 7 he considered dropping. He says Ankergren and Sparro have done enough to keep their spots. Since he doesn't mention Barnes, maybe he'll be dropped for millwall.

It's entirely reasonable, but there were 3 or 4 other people who were in the same position who Gus doesn't mention, so I would say people shouldn't take it as fact just yet.

There have been plenty of times when it has been assumed that a certain player would be picked based on comments and perceived performances, and then theline ups are revealled and they're not in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here