Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes charged (updated: misses 7 matches!)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If I could believe this was because you care about the image of the game and the way it should be played I could see where you are coming from ..but I doubt that .it just seems part of your bitter agenda to this player.

As an aside if the player is found guilty then I hope the club take stern action as well

Yeh you're probably right.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stupid rather than malicious, hope the ban isn't out of proportion to the offence. Perhaps 6 games total would be sufficient.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
To be honest I hope someone it he club has had a word with him. What he did was absolutely ridiculous, when he did it (with the injuries to CMS and Hoskins) just defies belief. Clearly the boy has some major issues. And as a result we are absolutely fooked!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Under the punishment procedures the FA can ban him for at least 8 games as the offence involves an match official, and the charge would be "attempting to trip" (type of assault)

Well if that's the case, all Barnes needs to do is cunningly disguise himself as Rio Ferdinand - and he'll have absolutely no case to answer. Innit. :wink:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Which video Rookie ? the 2 i have seen show nothing at all conclusive .

me neither
a grainy long distance video
lets hope none of those ready to hang draw and quarter the bloke don't have that sort of evidence against them in some court some day and try and talk their way out of with a jury like them.
I am afraid it was his mouthing off to the ref that got him done :ban:
that he has to stop

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
me neither
a grainy long distance video
lets hope none of those ready to hang draw and quarter the bloke don't have that sort of evidence against them in some court some day and try and talk their way out of with a jury like them.
I am afraid it was his mouthing off to the ref that got him done :ban:
that he has to stop

You're assuming Barnes is going to deny it though. Somehow that would surprise me

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Haven't seen the videos - but was the trip deliberate? Players have had collisions with refs before accidentally - I honestly don't know - just asking. Initially, the sending off was reported for foul and abusive language.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Haven't seen the videos - but was the trip deliberate? Players have had collisions with refs before accidentally - I honestly don't know - just asking. Initially, the sending off was reported for foul and abusive language.

Referee confirmed it was for the trip. Video is inconclusive, however it's clear what he was sent off for. The only issue I suspect it whether it was deliberate.

Since the referee felt the need to send him off for it, I suspect that's all the FA need to know. Otherwise we would be in a situation where the club are appealing the sending off which we aren't.

Silly boy.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
If the club support him and appeal any of his punishments in any way then I will feel let down, he's a petulant **** and Gus has made excuses for him too many times before IMHO - get rid, please. If we don't get promoted this season it's not because Barnes is missing at the death, I'd rather see young Barker play frankly. We all know if we don't go up it's because we failed to turn dominance into enough wins and let in too many stupid set piece goals.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Barnsey, without a shadow of a doubt has a problem.

He seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders, and the way he reacts when he misses a chance or something doesn't go his way is way over the top.

Whether the trip was deliberate or not, he was definitely given his marching orders because of his relentless never ending abuse of the officials the whole match.

If it had been anyone else, I'm sure the ref would've laughed it off, or at worst, shown a yellow card.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Having seen the Bolton fan video, it seems very inconclusive to me. I find the celebratory vitriol directed at Barnes on this thread pretty distasteful considering what a decent job he has done for us over his tenure here. I would definitely like to hear his side of the story. If he did deliberately attempt to trip the referee then I am in no way going to defend such petulant behaviour, but it still doesn't merit the personal abuse on this thread.

Honestly a minority of our support this week has disappointed me greatly, calling for the manager's head after two defeats, and the continuing vilification of one of our players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here