Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barker & Coppell to Portsmouth

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just caught the tail end of Sky Sports News and apparently 1 or both are working at Portsmouth for no wages but not sure which one, I would assume it is Coppell.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
A manager and a director of football?

Isn't that essentially two people on the payroll doing the same job? (I don't believe for a minute that Coppell is doing it for free)

Not that Pompey would ever piss away their money needlessly...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A manager and a director of football?

Isn't that essentially two people on the payroll doing the same job? (I don't believe for a minute that Coppell is doing it for free)

Not that Pompey would ever piss away their money needlessly...

Sky definitely said that 1 of them is working for nothing just to try to get them promoted to Div 1 and Iassumed it was Coppel as I thought that he could best afford it of the two. Perhaps it is no wages but a substantial bonus if they achieve promotion.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Don't think Coppell got paid initially when he was DOF at Crawley either. From recollection, he volunteered his services to them after they had lost Steve Evans to Rotherham. I'd imagine Portsmouth offered Barker the job and Barker asked if he could bring Coppell with him, but would have been told that they only had a budget for one post, so Coppell's agreed to go there for no wages. At his stage of life, he is probably pretty comfortable financially and isn't particularly motivated by money and so just wants to stay involved in the game and offer support to Barker, who presumably he got on well with at Crawley.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Taking on Steve Coppell will ensure they keep a clean and open set up,good luck to them

You mean like he did at Palace? I'm not sure if he was there during their first bout of over-spending and non-payment but I think he might have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here