Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona v Chelsea

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
In the Johnstone Paints Trophy of European Football, let's face it, no-one really gives a stuff about the Europa League, all across Europe matches are played in half deserted stadiums to satiate the appetite for the almighty euro payments. How Can a league with a 26 point gap between the 2nd and 3rd teams be considered good, it's a 2 trick pony, they are good, but the strength and depth of the EPL makes BBVA look like an Hispanic MTL.

A 15 point gap between 2nd and 3rd isn't much better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A wonderful, wonderful performance - I gave out a loud cheer when Torres rounded the 'keeper and slotted home and I have absolutely no interest in Chelsea whatsoever - I couldn't even tell you who half of their players are.

Looking forward to the final now, particularly if Mourinho et al feature.

Fingers crossed is Bayern Munich.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
One of the most entertaining (note the non use of the word 'best') I have ever seen. Magnificent.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
A wonderful, wonderful performance - I gave out a loud cheer when Torres rounded the 'keeper and slotted home and I have absolutely no interest in Chelsea whatsoever - I couldn't even tell you who half of their players are.

Totally this. No interest in chelsea but superb performance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What an idiotic and miserable scroat you are.

Why? Because I prefer Barca to Chelsea and wanted a Catalan victory? My allegiance to Barca is tenuous. My allegiance to Chelsea is absolutely non existent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In the Johnstone Paints Trophy of European Football, let's face it, no-one really gives a stuff about the Europa League, all across Europe matches are played in half deserted stadiums to satiate the appetite for the almighty euro payments. How Can a league with a 26 point gap between the 2nd and 3rd teams be considered good, it's a 2 trick pony, they are good, but the strength and depth of the EPL makes BBVA look like an Hispanic MTL.
The point that there is a HUGE gap in quality at the top end of the Spanish league is a fair one, but I can't agree with the rest. What evidence do you have that our mid and lower league sides are better than theirs? I'd say the evidence points to the contrary - Bilbao v Man U, Valencia v Stoke and just the number of clubs in the latter stages of the two Euro competitions. If not that, how about that Spain are Euro and World champions and nearly all their squad plays in their own country?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
a wonderful, wonderful performance - i gave out a loud cheer when torres rounded the 'keeper and slotted home and i have absolutely no interest in chelsea whatsoever - i couldn't even tell you who half of their players are.

t h i s

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
A magnificent performance after having 'lost' an anchorman from the team.

Well done to Chelsea and best wishes for the final !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another thing - if the Albion put out a performance like that - be it away at Barcelona or away at Burnley we'd all be absolutely frothing at the mouth at the team spirit, resolute defending and, all that matters really, coming away with a result.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Same here. I've got no connection to Chelsea and think Terry is a tit but a great performance. Deserve their place in the final. I lightly clapped when Torres rolled it in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another thing - if the Albion put out a performance like that - be it away at Barcelona or away at Burnley we'd all be absolutely frothing at the mouth at the team spirit, resolute defending and, all that matters really, coming away with a result.

I agree, it was a great performance on the night. I don't like Chelsea but no one can deny they deserved to go through tonight. It was an object lesson in how to defend when down to 10 men and counter attack.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Which, lest we forget, the almighty Man Utd were only in because they weren't good enough to get through their CL group.

I would bet that if you took the lineups from each league and put them against each other in a series of games, 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd etc....down to 20th vs 20th, the Primera Division would win.

Malaga v Spurs, Valencia v Arsenal, Levente v Newcastle, Bilbao v Chelsea, hahahaha, you're funny.

How have Man U faired against Barca? You seem to have forgotten this.

I think my point is being missed, sorry about that, but a 2 trick pony is just not as good as what we have in the EPL. I'm not forgetting anything, I remember that Man U and Liverpool have both won the CL in recent years, as well as having lost it, so have Barcelona, my point is not about head to head, more about us realising just how good the EPL is, and how 2 dimensional the BBVA is.

Then again, my opinion might be wrong on this, if the is the case then I'm sorry..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In the 'old' days, I'd always have wanted the English club to win. But 1) I love the way Barcelona play football 2) I love'Barcelona as a place after several memorable trips and have always liked the people 3) Chelsea are hardly an English club, bankrolled by Russian millions 4) they have several loathsome players and 5) thousands of loathsome fans, either old school thugs or jump-on-the-bandwagon types who arrived with Abramovich.

Good performance though against the odds. Hopefully they'll get dicked in the Final instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here