Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barca hit by transfer embargo for next two windows

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If they cannot sign any players they will have to get by with the players already on the books which could mean Oscar not being able to bring any starlets over here on season long loans.

Exactly my fear. Because all those great Catalan starlets that he's attracted so far this season will be difficult to replace ...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well he is out of contract so he might still walk

Not for a while.

The terms of the Football League's (FFP) transfer embargo, is that not only can you not sign new players, but you also cannot offer new contracts to out of contract players. I presume this is not the same.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Cue the inevitable appeal which will take them I to the close season and allow them to do some early business thus negating the embargo for this window.

Unfortunately, i can see this happening. They'll appeal, hope it is done after the window opens then go big on some players before losing the appeal...but be no worse off.

Think of it like Forest - buy everyone, then deal with the consequences later.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good news for Barca's development players.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Shattering news for Messrs Bloom, Burke, Garcia and Jones.

I suspect we will not be signing any Barcelona players, as they will need to keep all of their bodies for the next 14 months.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's Messi I feel for, they'll never let him leave to come and live out his dream of playing at AMEX now.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
"In a statement on Wednesday evening, Barca confirmed: "FCB will present the corresponding appeal to FIFA and if necessary will submit the resulting resolution to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)."

Barca added they would take "appropriate precautionary measures to preserve the rights of the club."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...hey-will-appeal-against-14-month-transfer-ban

That didn't take long - sign of things to come with FFP

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
More chance of Oscar playing two up front then Barcelona losing their appeal!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now it's up to FIFA to stand strong otherwise it's worthless
Sorry to be pedantic here, but FIFA is already worthless.

and obviously worth a fortune at the same time

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I bet Nicklas Bendntner is watching with interest. He'll only be left with Real Madrid to sign for if the ban is upheld.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Guess what, embargo lifted. FIFA put transfer ban on hold. They are free to fill all their gaps. If FIFA cant control Barca what chance the Football League and Harry.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Some amusing comments already from people who don't seem to understand the concept of justice. Barcelona (for all I don't buy into the love-in about them) have been singled-out over this issue. They are perfectly entitled to appeal. It would be totally wrong to enact the punishment before the final verdict. What's so hard to understand?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Some amusing comments already from people who don't seem to understand the concept of justice. Barcelona (for all I don't buy into the love-in about them) have been singled-out over this issue. They are perfectly entitled to appeal. It would be totally wrong to enact the punishment before the final verdict. What's so hard to understand?

So what your saying is that if you employed an individual and you suspected that they had done something which could lead them to being fired, such as fiddling the books to their benefit then you wouldn't suspend them pending an internal investigation?

What has happened here is a clear and flagrant breach of UEFA laws and Barca should be suspended now as they know full well what they have done.

If this was a League 2 team then I'm sure they would not have dropped the embargo!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here