• Yes

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 89 58.9%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know this was directed at Bozza, but Barber joined a couple of months before our most successful season for over 20 years. So no.

Fair comment, I was thinking more of the fall out at the end of that season which probably was the result of his appointment and the tightening of the playing budget and the role of the manager/coach in player recruitment. Followed by the current shambles. It was genuine question not a dig at Barber.

If there is blame it should be directed at TB rather than Barber for obvious reasons.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I agree about the remit but it seemed to really upset Gus, could this all have been handled better in hindsight? Also Oscar leaving so quickly seems odd with everything that is happening now. If he is making money to spend on players I don't think this is working if you look at the squad this time last year and now..

Surely the players this year is down to the director of football and manager? If you beleive TB then the playing budget has increased, it would seem that it has been spent on the wrong individuals by DoF and manager. As for Gus, yes he was upset because he was told that he could no longer have carte blanche to spend what he wanted on who he wanted. PB was brought in to run a sustainable business off the field, if we carried on the way Ken Brown was running things we would have been bankrupt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you beleive TB then the playing budget has increased

I think he said we are paying more for players' wages. That's not the same as playing budget, although the two are clearly closely linked generally.

However in this occasion, given the incoming transfer fees, I would expect our playing budget has gone DOWN, whilst our pay outlay has gone UP. These are my guesstimates though, and not based on internal info.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We've not been brilliant since I moved back from Somerset to Sussex. I think it would be unfair to blame me though.
At last - the real scapegoat revealed.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
ANyone voting yes in my opinion is a coward, who is too ****ing weak minded and scared to criticise the chairman.

IMO Paul Barber is doing an excellent job. But those idiots wanting him out, have no idea of his role and what he brings to the club, but then as I say, not strong enough to voice their anger at the chairman.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why is asking the question ridiculous, whatever the timing?

Because it's a knee jerk reaction to a woeful performance. Paul Barber has nothing to do with the playing side of the club.

How about you answering the following :

1: By what performance criteria should Paul Barber be 'judged'?
2: What qualifications do you possess to pass such judgement?
3: Who would you replace him with and what improvements would this person make at the club?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
ANyone voting yes in my opinion is a coward, who is too ****ing weak minded and scared to criticise the chairman.

IMO Paul Barber is doing an excellent job. But those idiots wanting him out, have no idea of his role and what he brings to the club, but then as I say, not strong enough to voice their anger at the chairman.

Sorry, I forgot to include a fence option.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Not barbers fault. It's bloom giving Berk the job of identifying players and then handing them to a woeful manager to work with. Tony needs to pull several triggers at once but barber's job is to run the club on behalf of bloom, not scout players or pick the team sheet.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Because it's a knee jerk reaction to a woeful performance. Paul Barber has nothing to do with the playing side of the club.

How about you answering the following :

1: By what performance criteria should Paul Barber be 'judged'?
2: What qualifications do you possess to pass such judgement?
3: Who would you replace him with and what improvements would this person make at the club?

1. The financial performance and stability of the club
2. None, but we live in a democracy where asking questions and having opinions is allowed
3. Personally I'd like Martin Perry back in this role and the improvement I believe would be in connecting the fans and the corporate side of the club again. I admit that's not necessarily a prerequisite for the job, and some will think it more or less important than others.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Something's been wrong for at least a year, probably longer. So although Sami's clearly out of his depth & has to go, some deeper surgery has to happen. I only see what's on the pitch, so don't know what that is but the time for corporate bullshit has long passed

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I think Barber is doing an excellent job personally, he's secured some of the biggest sponsorship deals in the clubs history, he's cut unnecessary costs and doesn't hide away like many others would. Yes he had some input with the hiring of Sami but to blame the current situation on him is ludicrous.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
http://aftncanada.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/paul-barber-he-came-he-saw-he-failed.html

As far as AFTN is concerned, he'll not be missed.

And we're clearly not alone. When two ex Whitecaps front office employees post on the Southsiders forum that they are pleased with the news and think it is the best thing for the Club, adding "Trust me, the people in the office are thrilled"

Did Barber run the whole shebang? Did he micromanage and make all the decisions, like many suggest?

Barber was at Spurs when they went through one of their lowest points for many a year, and were seriously in relegation peril. Fan protests against the Board and manager intensified, until Harry Redknapp came on board and turned the Club's fortunes around.

Barber and footballing success don't seem to go hand in hand.

But do read the rest. It's interesting.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
it's the answer that should be challenged not the question.

Barber for all intents and purposes could be the best Chief Exec in the history of British football but it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference because Sami is in charge of the team and we're therefore doomed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

this is growing as my theory, because Barber has little involment with playing side and certainly isnt in the dug out overseeing these lack of results. people dont feel they can knock Bloom, dislike a bit of corporatism (which started when we went to the Amex... rather than Falmer), dont think we're spending enough, so find a target in the CEO. as he is Blooms man delivering to his remit, i assume Bloom is content, so any attack on Barber is a proxy attack on Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here