Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber On The Warpath Over Train Disruption, Doesn't Pull Any Punches!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
At least Paul Barber recognised what really went on Friday night, there was no last minute sickness or absenteeism and SASTA knew for 48 hours they couldn't provide a timetable service let alone the football extra trains.
Will anything change ? Not in the short term unless the DfT and Wilkinson stop their meddling, the dispute would have been settled months ago like the Scotrail one was but for them. But the shortage of staff will take government intervention and funding to provide the number of staff throughout SASTA to ensure this never happens again.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
At least Paul Barber recognised what really went on Friday night, there was no last minute sickness or absenteeism and SASTA knew for 48 hours they couldn't provide a timetable service let alone the football extra trains.
Will anything change ? Not in the short term unless the DfT and Wilkinson stop their meddling, the dispute would have been settled months ago like the Scotrail one was but for them. But the shortage of staff will take government intervention and funding to provide the number of staff throughout SASTA to ensure this never happens again.

Scotrail is still in a mess

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Govia are on the shortlist to get the west Midlands franchise, we should do all we can to ensure they don't.

The fact they are still being considered for franchises is appalling.

https://www.govia.info/west-midlands-franchise/

Good lord.

I can't see how anyone outside of Govia and their shareholders would think this is appropriate. Even those that blame the RMT for the strike.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Barber: 'They've let down 30,000 football fans'

Er, no they haven't!

Thousands obviously but not the whole attendance.

I would disagree. Every fans' experience was affected by the worse atmosphere due to late arrivals. Buses were busier as people avoided the trains - that is why many had to walk back to Lewes.

theboybilly

Govia are on the shortlist to get the west Midlands franchise, we should do all we can to ensure they don't.

The fact they are still being considered for franchises is appalling.

https://www.govia.info/west-midlands-franchise/

It's a franchise merry-go-round. One mob gets booted out from an underachieving franchise only to be the preferred bidder at the next one up for grabs. You can almost guarantee that the preferred bidder for the WM franchise will come from one of these: FirstGroup, Stagecoach, GoVia, Abelio (I think that's what they're called but no matter) DB Railways or a co-working of these as in Stagecoach and Virgin on the East and West Coast franchises. Even the smug Managing Directors who oversee the shambles and misery these crappy franchises foisted upon the public bale out knowing their friends at another rail organisation will see them alright (as happened with the woeful Chris Burchell who found a lucrative position elsewhere after jumping ship with Southern) They just don't give a toss

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Incompetence is one thing and I know that these strike situations can lead the finger to be pointed at all parties. But the sheer arrogance of a company that can't be bothered to call the club to warn them or offer an explanation afterwards is absolutely disgraceful.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would disagree. Every fans' experience was affected by the worse atmosphere due to late arrivals. Buses were busier as people avoided the trains - that is why many had to walk back to Lewes.

Absolutely this. When Southern Fail f*** up that badly it affects every single one of us. It affects our travel home. It affects the atmosphere. It costs the club hundreds of thousands of pounds. Frankly I hope someone's looking in to suing these c***s for every penny they have.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good lord.

I can't see anyone outside of Govia and their shareholders think this is appropriate. Even those that blame the RMT for the strike.

I have no sympathy for Govia, but they are the stooges in this dispute. The DfT are using GTR as the trojan horse to change franchise policy, but they don't have the guts to admit it (although Pete Wilkinson was caught saying as much). The political plan was to get the public blaming SASTA and/or the unions - if you read this board you'll know they've largely succeeded.

PG

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
As we all pay for rail tickets in the price of our season ticket can't all 22000 season ticket holders claim compensation off Southern

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He summed it up perfectly.

"There's no accountability, there's no responsibility and there doesn't seem to be any pride in providing a service to the public."

Nailed it.

Now he needs to make the same statement to The Amex caterers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here