Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber on 5 live

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
can we sing: "You're getting sacked in the morning" to him?

He may have already been sacked by then, it's a few weeks away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for sharing.

I know he’s got his haters, but how lucky are we to have Paul Barber? He always represents our club so well in the media.

Before anyone asks, no I’m not Paul Barber!

With just 36 words you’re clearly not.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Only through gritted teeth.....

I've noticed a reluctance from Souness to credit us compared to the usual pundits who praise us to the hilt - including Redknapp, Neville and Carragher

But that could be his general dour Scotch demeanour [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
Probably still pissed off from when we beat them 2-1 in the FA Cup in 83 on their patch [emoji12][emoji838][emoji836]

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Souness is dour and a dinasour.... ‘football is a man’s game’ being one of his recent quotes shortly after the England women’s team won the Euros and raised the profile of the women’s game to new heights.

Not a fan of his, but that quote was taken out of context.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Agree - all very strange.......he was raving about us when punditing on a couple of games recently.

Talk sport has one routine to keep their audience up, Good Cop/Bad Cop. Every pundit has to take a stand whether he believes it or not.

Pity we have to have the palrse scum taking ours though.

Besides, who can take seriously the opinion of a failed manager who almost single handedly destroyed scottish football by signing has-beens rather than developing Scottish Youth.
The Souness "revolution " led to the end of a competitive league and to the greed is good era, the first league to stop sharing gate money and With Celtic, Aberdeen "and Dundee Utd demanded big boy" shares of the TV money.

Says something when the Scots demanded and got that before Manure even though of it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Talk sport has one routine to keep their audience up, Good Cop/Bad Cop. Every pundit has to take a stand whether he believes it or not.

Besides, who can take seriously the opinion of a failed manager who almost single handedly destroyed scottish football by signing has-beens rather than developing Scottish Youth.
The Souness "revolution " led to the end of a competitive league and to the greed is good era, the first league to stop sharing gate money and With Celtic, Aberdeen "and Dundee Utd demanded big boy" shares of the TV money.

Says something when the Scots demanded and got that before Manure even though of it.

I honestly don't think Souness plays that game. He has ingrained views about football about how it should be played and who should play it that appear, IMO, a bit outdated.

I'd say he tries to play the Roy Keane 'hard man/grumpy ex-pro' role, but with far less personality and like-ability.

luge

Dec 18, 2010

To be fair to him, Simon Jordan gave very good analysis of the situation and praised PB and the club.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ignore Souness just another one of Talksports click bait dinosaurs, that station is like a charity for jobless, thick ex players and failed managers

Can’t wait to hear what the insightful Talksport heavyweights Gabriel Agbonlahor and Jamie O Hara make of the appointment

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
If you are listening to the link in the original post goto 2h21 for the Paul Barber interview.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Souness was doing the standard 'Why aren't British managers given a chance?' grumble. His questions were pointedly about how De Zerbi is going to know anything, given that he's never managed in the Premier League. When asked who he would suggest, he had nothing. He might want to consider that De Zerbi is Brighton's first non-British manager during their time in the EPL. He might also want to consider that the nationality of the managers of teams currently in the top ten goes Spanish, Spanish, Italian, Italian (was English), Dutch, Portugese, English (was German), German, Danish, English. Two out of three of the English managers on that list are Graham Potter. I'm not saying that this proves that foreign managers are automatically better, just that not knowing the English game inside out might not be as much of a disadvantage as Souness suggests it is.

I would also argue that the 'seven jobs in nine years' scoff might be more of a concern if it didn't show a graph with a trajectory that goes: Serie D team, - poached by another Serie D team, turned down an offer from Serie A, - Appointed at Serie A club Palermo within weeks of quitting, sacked after 7 games, but was just one of 8 managers at Palermo during that year, -job at a Serie A club that was relegated, - offered another job at a Serie A club straight away, three years of success with a small club in the top division, - offered a job at a Champions League club, left because of a war.

It might also hold a bit more water if, between 1994 and 2004, Souness himself hadn't managed Liverpool, Galtasaray, Southampton, Torino, Benfica, Blackburn and Newcastle. 7 clubs in 10 years rather than 9, but fairly comparable, the marked differences being that Souness's direction of movement was broadly travelling in the opposite direction and that he left quite a lot of these clubs having fallen out with the people he was working for, or with, and a few more (than De Zerbi's one) because he was sacked.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Souness was doing the standard 'Why aren't British managers given a chance?' grumble. His questions were pointedly about how De Zerbi is going to know anything, given that he's never managed in the Premier League. When asked who he would suggest, he had nothing. He might want to consider that De Zerbi is Brighton's first non-British manager during their time in the EPL. He might also want to consider that the nationality of the managers of teams currently in the top ten goes Spanish, Spanish, Italian, Italian (was English), Dutch, Portugese, English (was German), German, Danish, English. Two out of three of the English managers on that list are Graham Potter. I'm not saying that this proves that foreign managers are automatically better, just that not knowing the English game inside out might not be as much of a disadvantage as Souness suggests it is.

I would also argue that the 'seven jobs in nine years' scoff might be more of a concern if it didn't show a graph with a trajectory that goes: Serie D team, - poached by another Serie D team, turned down an offer from Serie A, - Appointed at Serie A club Palermo within weeks of quitting, sacked after 7 games, but was just one of 8 managers at Palermo during that year, -job at a Serie A club that was relegated, - offered another job at a Serie A club straight away, three years of success with a small club in the top division, - offered a job at a Champions League club, left because of a war.

It might also hold a bit more water if, between 1994 and 2004, Souness himself hadn't managed Liverpool, Galtasaray, Southampton, Torino, Benfica, Blackburn and Newcastle. 7 clubs in 10 years rather than 9, but fairly comparable, the marked differences being that Souness's direction of movement was broadly travelling in the opposite direction and that he left quite a lot of these clubs having fallen out with the people he was working for, or with, and a few more (than De Zerbi's one) because he was sacked.

Graeme Souness is the last remaining member of whatever species came before the dinosaurs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Souness is a bell end

And conversely Jordan always comes across well on TalkSport....at least all the times I have heard him.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I just saw the five live interview, blimey he should be called Sourpuss not Souness. What ever manager we employed is a risk, also there is no way on earth of knowing if the start we had under Potter would have continued anyway.

As long as the players play confidently as they have been then I will be happy.

What did we do do to upset Sourpuss? He can't still have a grudge about this, could he? https://wearebrighton.com/albiondatabase/the-team-of-the-80s-who-couldnt-beat-brighton-in-the-fa-cup/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here