Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber cools optimism on loan striker

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Disappointing that Barber feels necessary to dampen our expectations but if it is proving difficult to bring in a loan striker maybe he is just being honest? I don't doubt any of what Bloom, Barber and Burke have to say. I'm sure we have a shortlist of players in mind but if they aren't available at the right price then why should we get ripped off?

Everyone would love a Prem quality player to come in on loan but unfortunately many are on ridiculous wages. Even youngsters like Kane and Obika and possibly the Everton and Norwich lads too. Maybe their Clubs won't do a deal on splitting their wages with us.

Earlier in the season I was hoping we would bring in an experienced striker like Billy Sharp who could have done a decent job but Reading snapped him up and of course they are on parachute money so could probably match whatever he was on at Saints and Forest.

Plus that list is a moving feast with players like Obika we (allegedly) fancy no longer being available because of injury, so maybe not as straightforward as we think. Plus Conway (and Barn Door Billy) have shown us that someone who looks like a shrewd loan deal isn't guaranteed to do the business.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
'We are sure' means 'we may or may not' ?

Can't believe that.

Not sure Tony was trying to trick us with semantics either.

well he is a buisness man who knows exactly what he is saying and the subtle difference between sure and definite is there for a reason.

Anyway there is still a week to go, so no panic...

moan about it next Saturday if we dont have anyone in place.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
There was a piece about Bridders which said he aggravated an old hip injury which has put him back, so I think the Hernia business is now sorted, it's now his hip which is stopping him.

Anyway this old striker business is a bit depressing. If it's to do with not enough funds for a young Prem striker, then there is no way we have got the same funds as last year, not even close!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It appears that no one seems to know what is going on.

Yet again poor and contradictory communication from the club. It's becoming embarrassing...

Meanwhile people on here will go on and say how lucky we are to have a lovely stadium, which we are and that's not in question. However, the playing side of things including what's gone on with the coaching side of things is frankly embarrassing.

How can we go from being interested in signing Virgil Van Dijk for £3million in January to not being able to afford a loan striker and yet we sold Dobbie for a healthy amount and bought in someone who looks like a Sunday league pub player from Swansea.

I'm not saying we should be throwing money at players...far from it and I may be looking at things rather simplistically. However, when we are spending a ridiculous amount of cash on things we don't need to like electronic scoreboards(which don't work properly), blue paint for a concourse, new dug out seats, hotels and multi-storey car parks, you then begin realise something is not right.

If we can shell out £55 million on a new development at the stadium and £25 million(I made that figure up as I can't remember the number) on a state of the art training ground, but we cannot afford to pay for a couple of decent loan strikers on a three month loan...To me that sounds like two things...

Either something is very wrong with the way the club is being run

or

Those running the club haven't a scooby doo of what they're doing

How can, in the space of less than 6 months the team and the club go from being one of the most progressively attractive clubs in England to a hotchpotch of badly marketed new stories, dissent amongst players, coaches and fans and to looking like the club is being run by Noddy and Big Ears?

Oh and Financial Fair Play DOES NOT prevent us from paying a decent wage for three months to a couple of decent strikers...

You keep coming out with stuff like this, and I accept there's a valid point in there somewhere but when you write things like I've highlighted it just shows that you don't understand the real world and probably think running a club is the same as playing football manager. All the infastructure costs will come out of a separate budget to the playing one. The playing budget has obviously been decided with FFP in mind and is directly related to our running costs, without seeing the numbers it's impossible to make a statement about what is right. Remember there's some top accountantants on our board and this is a multi million pound business, they didn't just write some numbers on the back of a fag packet.

Like I said, there's a valid debate to be had about the playing budget, FFP, stadium costs etc. but if I'm having that debate with you I might as well start discussing my mortgage payments and how much I spend on food with my 5 year old nephew. It would be a similar conversation.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You keep coming out with stuff like this, and I accept there's a valid point in there somewhere but when you write things like I've highlighted it just shows that you don't understand the real world and probably think running a club is the same as playing football manager. All the infastructure costs will come out of a separate budget to the playing one. The playing budget has obviously been decided with FFP in mind and is directly related to our running costs, without seeing the numbers it's impossible to make a statement about what is right. Remember there's some top accountantants on our board and this is a multi million pound business, they didn't just write some numbers on the back of a fag packet.

Like I said, there's a valid debate to be had about the playing budget, FFP, stadium costs etc. but if I'm having that debate with you I might as well start discussing my mortgage payments and how much I spend on food with my 5 year old nephew. It would be a similar conversation.

Indeed, I don't see a link between the infrastructure projects and the playing side at all - two completely different thngs.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
This is rapidly becoming an absolute joke. If Barnes was to follow the rest of our forwards & do a proverbial Spinal Tap Drummer on the training pitch, we'll be thoroughly stuffed.

Sort. It. Out. Albion. :annoyed:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I think what Superseagull is trying to say and he will correct me if I am wrong is that with all this money floating about and with the time the club have had to find a decent forward (since the start of the season).
we have wanted decent back-up from the start now thing are a bit different we want someone to get out there now and start scoring goals.
its basics really all this development is all very well and good but if the "R" word starts to come into it we will have the best ground training facilities in the lower divisions.
its all a balancing act and at this moment in time its not working and those in charge "MUST" make it work and quickly

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Obika was all set to join and he then got injured.

We had a decent striker lined up for last week but Oscar decided he wasn't the right sort of player (not fast enough, I understand) so the deal wasn't pushed through.

Oscar has to be allowed to do his job, which includes only bringing in players he feels will add real benefit.

If we haven't got anyone this time next week then I'll be pushing that big button marked "PANIC!", but I don't expect it to come to that.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
This is rapidly becoming an absolute joke. If Barnes was to follow the rest of our forwards & do a proverbial Spinal Tap Drummer on the training pitch, we'll be thoroughly stuffed.

Sort. It. Out. Albion. :annoyed:

I have to say I agree with you - starting to wonder what the hell is going on - its negligent to allow the club to be this exposed - with one fit senior striker.

It appears we are more interested in investing in hotels, car parks and student accommodation than the team at the moment.

A mid to lower table finish this year and a bad summer in the transfer market next summer - will be very interesting to see if we sell 23K season tickets for next season.

I feel very depressed.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Well if we've got to rely on one average striker who can't even play the lone role properly until Leo comes back we could well be in a spot of bother, without a new striker and the next home match being on a Monday night and on TV we could perhaps expect quite a low turnout.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
All of the development around the club is great news for the future but I hope we do not lose sight of the fact that the product that underpins all of this investment is on the pitch. This week will show what ambition we have for this season

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
All of the development around the club is great news for the future but I hope we do not lose sight of the fact that the product that underpins all of this investment is on the pitch. This week will show what ambition we have for this season
You are wise sir. This sums it up nicely

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It appears that no one seems to know what is going on.

Yet again poor and contradictory communication from the club. It's becoming embarrassing...

Meanwhile people on here will go on and say how lucky we are to have a lovely stadium, which we are and that's not in question. However, the playing side of things including what's gone on with the coaching side of things is frankly embarrassing.

How can we go from being interested in signing Virgil Van Dijk for £3million in January to not being able to afford a loan striker and yet we sold Dobbie for a healthy amount and bought in someone who looks like a Sunday league pub player from Swansea.

I'm not saying we should be throwing money at players...far from it and I may be looking at things rather simplistically. However, when we are spending a ridiculous amount of cash on things we don't need to like electronic scoreboards(which don't work properly), blue paint for a concourse, new dug out seats, hotels and multi-storey car parks, you then begin realise something is not right.

If we can shell out £55 million on a new development at the stadium and £25 million(I made that figure up as I can't remember the number) on a state of the art training ground, but we cannot afford to pay for a couple of decent loan strikers on a three month loan...To me that sounds like two things...

Either something is very wrong with the way the club is being run

or

Those running the club haven't a scooby doo of what they're doing

How can, in the space of less than 6 months the team and the club go from being one of the most progressively attractive clubs in England to a hotchpotch of badly marketed new stories, dissent amongst players, coaches and fans and to looking like the club is being run by Noddy and Big Ears?

Oh and Financial Fair Play DOES NOT prevent us from paying a decent wage for three months to a couple of decent strikers...

it will be interesting to see how many season tickets are sold and how much Tony has to fork out pay the bills following a season in the 3rd division

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Obika was all set to join and he then got injured.

We had a decent striker lined up for last week but Oscar decided he wasn't the right sort of player (not fast enough, I understand) so the deal wasn't pushed through.

Oscar has to be allowed to do his job, which includes only bringing in players he feels will add real benefit.

If we haven't got anyone this time next week then I'll be pushing that big button marked "PANIC!", but I don't expect it to come to that.

Quite agree. In one way I found the article quite heartening, because it indicated - well more than just indicated, actually said - that the "men in suits" do not want to bring in anyone that the head Coach can't use.

So Oscar is being consulted and listened to. I have never had any time for those who assert that the club buys players willy-nilly and then imposes them on the coach/manager. If it has ever happened, it certainly isn't now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A loan striker for up to three months who may not actually work out (paynter anybody?) or a hotel and student accommodation giving the club an improved finance income for years to come, helping improve our financial power in the face of FFP?

I think I know which I'd prefer.

Though I suspect it's not an either/or situation and we will get someone, and that the funds for each are completely separate and anyone suggesting we can't afford a loan player because we're planning a hotel are just ridiculously mistaken.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
But there's enough budget for a whole network of player acquisition scouts (see the Forest programme)? I hope the jobs for the boys are being paid by results.

PG

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
There was a piece about Bridders which said he aggravated an old hip injury which has put him back, so I think the Hernia business is now sorted, it's now his hip which is stopping him.

Anyway this old striker business is a bit depressing. If it's to do with not enough funds for a young Prem striker, then there is no way we have got the same funds as last year, not even close!

last season overall we spent 8 million more than we can spend this season, so it makes sense to assume the budget for the squad is drastically reduced this year

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here