Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barbecues - What's The Point

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The mistake most BBQ novices make is trying to cook too early when the coals are still black and burning up, you've got to wait until they are white with ash and the flames have died down then get cooking, also don't put the rack too close to the coals, raise it up a bit and just let stuff cook a little longer. Barbecues are awesome if done correctly which like some others on here I take great pride in doing properly as it enhances my manly status as king of the barbecue!! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Today I am bbqing a whole chicken. Indirect grilling method, tea and paprika rub, did something similar last year, was delicious.

Tea and paprika, you're having a Steffi! It's as much as most mere mortals can do to have all family members alive after eating some of the quivering flesh that comes off the average man's fire pit.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Love barbeques but got to be done properly with decent food. Chucking a few frozen quater pounders on and a few sausages is my idea of a nightmare. I have a gas and a charcoal BBQ. The charcoal one is for when we have guests over and the small gas one is for just me. I was on me own last night so went in the garden at around 8pm with a cold beer and cooked a few lamb steaks.

Man, meat, fire and cold beer, what more could any man possibly want, except maybe Holly Willoughby standing next to you wearing nothing but an apron...but that's another story !!!!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
cooked food allows us to gain far more nutrients from foods, more easily.

someone needs to do some research.....raw food cures diseases, live food contains the nutrients, and cooking food kills nutrients.....i thought this was common knowlege nowadays.

barbeques are strange; a hot charcoal oven outside on a hot day, and just slabs of meat cooked poorly. i always thought it was a reason to get drunk and relegate women to salad?

solar ovens are the way to go - get some prana in your food instead of a firelighter/sooty type taste :)

Last edited:

I had steak earlier in the week, and because the BBQ was out from the previous day I decided to BBQ the steaks (also had a few people over so there were too many to fit in the grill or in the gridle pan). They were gorgeous. One of the best home cooked steaks I've ever had.

Today I am bbqing a whole chicken. Indirect grilling method, tea and paprika rub, did something similar last year, was delicious.

BBQs are more about social cooking, I think. You don't generally get parties where everyone stands in the kitchen watching you cook, whereas BBQs involve everyone hang around together.

I'm going to have a go at the indirect heat method soon, can't wait to find out if it's as good as they say.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Who's been to a BBQ where they only cook cheap burgers and value sausages?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm going to have a go at the indirect heat method soon, can't wait to find out if it's as good as they say.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes to taste, it just helps to cook thicker cuts of meats, joints etc. without having to worry about flare ups leading to charred outsides/raw insides. It's also a way to cook on the BBQ without having to stand over it for the whole time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Who's been to a BBQ where they only cook cheap burgers and value sausages?

Of course. Those are the sorts my parents did when I was growing up. If they wanted to push the boat out, they'd cook chicken drumsticks in the oven and finish them on the BBQ.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Isn't it the kudos you get with the partner ,chefs hat,pinny, the look from the guy next door, that wally next door is at it again, lovely atmosphere.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Have barbequed for the last two evenings,making the most of the weather whilst it lasts.
Love it.Have got a good Weber BBQ and it works a treat;no need to burn anything.Only problem is that when we barby we both tend to drink far too much and feel a bit rough the next day.Doesn't stop us though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We bbq all year round, and at this time of year 3 or 4 times a week. Had a butterflied leg of lamb yesterday, marinaded in home made citrus oil, cooked to perfection in just over an hour with the indirect method, lid on throughout, vents open, lovely.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
We bbq all year round, and at this time of year 3 or 4 times a week. Had a butterflied leg of lamb yesterday, marinaded in home made citrus oil, cooked to perfection in just over an hour with the indirect method, lid on throughout, vents open, lovely.

Do you deliver?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plus the option where someone might stand on it whilst still hot

Do people often walk over to a group of BBQers and climb onto their BBQ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I BBQed 3 times at Glastonbury: kept it simple with just meats, buns and ketchup on a disposable grill....ace!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
i sympathise with you, however have an urge to make fire and cook slabs of hunted meat (at supermarket). it makes sence for groups i think, but in place of the family dinner it does seem more hassle than its worth. key thing is to clean the BBQ after use, not leave it two months.

cooked food allows us to gain far more nutrients from foods, more easily. it allows us to eat foods we'd struggle to digest at all. its arguably one of the reasons we have larger brains, because we use less energy digesting and so can have a surplus to fuel the brain instead.

it makes sence for groups

Too much raw food?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's done properly 100% of the time on my BBQ, I even take over the cooking at friends houses.

This!

It really isn't difficult and the results are bloody delicious!

BBQ arvo at MJG towers and it's going to be EPIC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here