Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Banter or Hate?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
All the examples in the survey are homophobic. "Bantz" is just an excuse and a pretence that they are merely in jest (they are not).

However I'm not in favour of immediate criminalisation. Some people are not beyond the pale, and are more ignorant/stupid than overtly hostile, so should be given the chance to be educated/enlightened and change. If they won't/can't change or see the error of their ways, then by all means cut off their goolies.

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I (stupidly) answered the survey (ticking 'other' for the choice of teams), but I have misgivings about this it because part of my job is helping Masters students get ethical approval for far less controversial research and a standard part of it is setting out if and how consent can be withdraw from our responses being included. So I think @CovJet needs to tell us if this is really part of his PhD and provide us with the ethics panel approval.

Sorry. It's an interesting subject and I can see why, as a Wolves fan, he's doing it, but standards are standards.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dear Seagulls,

I’m a Wolves fan – I’m coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…

I’m a senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games – for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue and one in which Wolverhampton Wanderers have recently incurred a £100,000 fine from the FA, due to chants aimed at Chelsea fans during the Wolves vs Chelsea game earlier this year. We also have had a number of arrests at games involving Brighton, so the issue is very relevant to both of our clubs.

I want to find out what you think of the language used – I want you to be honest. I've had a fantastic response so far (heading towards 1,500 replies) and some lively debate.

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University.

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Watford, Plymouth, Ipswich Chelsea, Swansea, Bolton, Cardiff and Newcastle.

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

Kind regards,

Peter Evans
Any update on this Peter?

Would be apt given Aaron’s stand today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here