Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banning Smoking in pubkic places...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I am all in favour of banning smoking anywhere in public, as in California, then that would mean us non smokers getting a seat outside of pubs and coffee bars unlike now, when all are taken up by smokers.

I'm sorry?! You're sugesting that someone that smokes has more chance of finding a seat outside if they want to sit there than yourself who doesn't smoke????!!! Based on.... The fact you've seen some people outside smoking?!

Fwiw I am technically still a smoker as I like a few when I (rarely) get pissed and occasionally the odd social one or two when I'm out. I used to smoke 10-15 a day but prob have about 4 a week on average - and I'm PROUD of that :) The electric cig works wonders and I rarely get cravings - although I may go outside now and have a sneaky one of my mrs fags as long as there's no dirty non smoker sitting in MY seat outside that I DESERVE to have as I will be smoking :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is just an obsevation that you rarely see a non smoker sitting outside a Costa or Cafe Nero as the seats are nearly always taken up by a smoker. Obviously they cannot sit inside but that doesnt help me if I want to sit outside.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
to be fair to the grandad who cried wolf, he's spot on. beer sales dropped ~10% in the months immediatly following the ban, and pub clousures accelerated, going from 400 to 1400+ closures in 2007 and 1900+ in 2008. there are a number of other factors, but noone is denying the smoking ban had a significant impact on pubs.

There is no actual evidence to confirm that the smoking ban directly damaged the trade. It may well have been the straw the broke the camels back, but there may well be many mitigating factors.

Do studies take in to account the up turn in the housing market? Why run a pub when one can make a fortune in turning the pub in to flats or housing? Supermarkets getting cheaper and cheaper due to the new legislation that allows one to price compare with others.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It is just an obsevation that you rarely see a non smoker sitting outside a Costa or Cafe Nero as the seats are nearly always taken up by a smoker. Obviously they cannot sit inside but that doesnt help me if I want to sit outside.

And they have every right to take those seats as a non smoker (NORMAL) person has... Next you'll be having a go at the disabled for taking up close parking spaces ;)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And they have every right to take those seats as a non smoker (NORMAL) person has... Next you'll be having a go at the disabled for taking up close parking spaces ;)

Nobody is disputing their right but if not going to sit outside to have a smoke, if it was banned, would so many go and sit outside,. I doubt it very much.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I wonder if you go camping in wide open spaces, on your own, like up the Cissbury ring, and spark up whilst inside the tent......would that be ok?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is no actual evidence to confirm that the smoking ban directly damaged the trade.

er, so you are going to ignore the direct drop in sales across the industry correlating with the ban? property prices fell in 2008 and supermarket prices havent fallen as much as some like to portray. industry and economist input on the matter always seem to conclude there was a significant impact, if you can find an analysis that proves otherwise let us know.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
er, so you are going to ignore the direct drop in sales across the industry correlating with the ban? property prices fell in 2008 and supermarket prices havent fallen as much as some like to portray. industry and economist input on the matter always seem to conclude there was a significant impact, if you can find an analysis that proves otherwise let us know.

A coincidence? The straw that broke a camels back? Where are the statistics of people saying they will not visit or frequent a pub due to the smoking ban?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody is disputing their right but if not going to sit outside to have a smoke, if it was banned, would so many go and sit outside,. I doubt it very much.

Fair point... But life is what it is - there's way more important things. People can do whatever they want - it's the people that drink alcohol in excess and then have words to say about smokers that particularly get my goat.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The simple fact is that smokers most probably won't die of smoking related illnesses. It obviously increases the likelihood the more one smokes, but even for chain smokers it's far from inevitable.

One completely unbiased scientific study suggests that 1/3 of heavy smokers aged 35 will die of a smoking related illness before 85 - which of course means that 2/3 won't.

Will smoking kill me? Probably not. Do I enjoy it? Yes, I do..... So why should I be forced to stop? Why aren't obese people treated similarly - ie obese people banned from fast food restaurants - considering they have a far shorter expected lifespan than heavy smokers and cost the NHS a lot more.

But hey, we've all got to die of something. Hopefully I'll be long gone before I've lost my independence & dignity and if the grim reaper comes in the form of a cigarette, so be it.

Yes. Thank you Doctor for your eloquent denial of every piece of healthcare research conducted since 1947 until now.

You really are a prize knob.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I can already see that you are completely unwilling to approach this subject with an open mind of any kind, so it's probably pointless replying to it, but here it goes anyway.

The anti-smoking campaign has been spanning decades now, using countless scare tactics, including an excessive exaggeration of its health risks. Smoking is bad, that much is indisputable, but if you really can't understand why its health risks are greatly exaggerated you are either a fool, or in denial yourself.

Also, if you are so worried about your hard earned tax money, consider that smoking costs the NHS around £3bn a year - while tobacco revenue earns the treasury around the same amount. You're really getting angry about nothing in this respect.

People enjoy smoking - we all know it's bad for us, but if we didn't enjoy it we would give up. Live and let live, people should be allowed to do whatever they want to their bodies as long as they aren't harming anyone else.

Garbage.

Whenever I breathe in someone else's smoke they are harming me. I don't like it and my kids don't like it. My clothes stink and the smell is disgusting.

And it's great to know the cost of healthcare is offset by taxes from tobacco revenue. Don't you think it would be more useful if doctors and nurses spent time treating patients less selfish?

You keep your head in the sand.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This would happen in Germany. In fact you can still smoke in pubs here.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
To be honest I'd rather smoke away from other people anyway, that way I get to enjoy it without being interrupted by hypocritical whingers.

yes it does, and with plenty of change. highest estimate of cost is 6bn (which doesnt discount early death of proportion of smokers from NHS bill). tobacco duties at about 9.5 and VAT another 2.5bn. then theres tax on the profits of the tobacco companies (which i cant be bothered to look up) and the tax on the income of the tens of thousands those companies employ. so at least 15bn, or 2.5x more than the cost. with the lower estimates around £3bn, its a 5x benefit. thats why they dont ban it out right you see, cant afford to.

Ok fair enough, I was silly enough to listen to my wife that has worked her way up to quite a high position in the NHS in the last 29 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here