Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bank Charges Refunds

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
MYOB said:
I do - cause I've never been charged for those by my bank. It think its a disgrace that they charge for them in the first place.

Funnily enough the Irish banks are both large and profitable despite not being allowed charge for ATM transactions and generally charging low to no amounts for everything else.

banks dont charge for atms now - atm companies do.

but apparently they aren't allowed to penalise those who renege on a deal (agreed limits).

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
maffew said:
yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

got my bank charges for the last 6 years refunded (well offered) this morning on 2 x Natwest accounts.

claimed £2400 (charged them interest) and got £1963 back, dont think they were too keen on paying the interest back

Its well easy. it took me slightly longr than others (about 10 weeks) though cost the price of 2 x stamps

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Did you use the moneyexpert letter?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
eastlondonseagull said:
Did you use the moneyexpert letter?

I think for my first letter I used the one off the Consumer action group site asking for my statements

then MSE started doing it as well so I used their "initial" letter which is the one which says give me my cash back

I never got to the stage where I had to threaten court of anything

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
ROSM said:

but apparently they aren't allowed to penalise those who renege on a deal (agreed limits).

Banks and ATM companies are one in the same thing here - the two instore operates are owned by Bank of Ireland and RBOS.

If the banks weren't charging legally, fair dues to those that get their cash back - if you'd managed to charge a bank in some way that was found to be unallowable, they would sure as hell be after you within minutes.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
ROSM said:
One point here - I'm sure nobody has an issue with everybody paying for banking?

I mean the processing of cheques (£1), standing orders (30p), direct debits (30p), cash machine withdrawals (70p) etc. plus the costs of placing machines at key public places like railway stations.

That will be the next step - sadly those who couldn't stick within an AGREED limit are now getting their charges back and these companies who have shareholders will be likely to want to preserve their profits somehow.

I already pay a £12 per month charge for my banking. What they do with this I dont know or arent that bothered. The money needed for providing cashpoints/call centres/handling direct debits etc is their problem, they make billions of profits from borrowing our money. If more banks start to charge for basic services then its just greed, not a result of people claiming back money deducted from their account illegally.

most of my charges were from the interest on the overdraft taking me over the agreed limit so they say hey ho, lets take another 40-60 quid. Thats just wrong. Its all fully automated so costs them almost nothing. Also if you phone up and warn them this is going to happen they charge you anyway

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
ROSM said:

The agreement found in the small print means nothing. Legally, they can only charge you exactly what it costs them to send out that automated letter, which is about a quid. So you're entitled to the extra 34 quid + that they're ripping off you.

I had big money problems a few years back, thanks in part to the bank. Every month I was bouncing cheques and standing orders and going over my 6000 pound OD limit. And their 150 pound charges were making things worse.

Thankfully I'm in credit, now (phew) but God knows how much they have taken off me over the years.

Will be writing to them asap.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
eastlondonseagull said:
The agreement found in the small print means nothing. Legally, they can only charge you exactly what it costs them to send out that automated letter, which is about a quid. So you're entitled to the extra 34 quid + that they're ripping off you.

I had big money problems a few years back, thanks in part to the bank. Every month I was bouncing cheques and standing orders and going over my 6000 pound OD limit. And their 150 pound charges were making things worse.

Thankfully I'm in credit, now (phew) but God knows how much they have taken off me over the years.

:thumbsup:

go get em, its your money they've stolen

my other half called HSBC yesterday as shes doing it now (on a closed account)

the guy said basically yep, send your letter in, you'll have your cash back within 40 days which seems to be their target turnaround

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
eastlondonseagull said:

I was in exactly the same position end of last year and am now in credit. I am now in the process of drafting my first letter. I will keep you informed of my progress. It is with Abbey. They screwed me right over last year and were very rude about it so as far as I am concerned they can eat shit.

On Watchdog they had a rep from Financial ombudsman who said the best thing to do before contacting the bank is to ring them. I have the number at home and they will pretty much guarantee your money back with no court action.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Nibble said:
I was in exactly the same position end of last year and am now in credit. I am now in the process of drafting my first letter. I will keep you informed of my progress. It is with Abbey. They screwed me right over last year and were very rude about it so as far as I am concerned they can eat shit.

On Watchdog they had a rep from Financial ombudsman who said the best thing to do before contacting the bank is to ring them. I have the number at home and they will pretty much guarantee your money back with no court action.

I saw that and contacted them yesterday morning - bit tough to get through, but once I had, they took all details and do the rest for you! Really polite and proffesional....

gull45

Mar 10, 2006
has anyone had any sucess getting refunded bank charges from Halifax as they have screwed me for over a grand in the last few years and i would love to get some money back of them?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Nibble said:

Good idea. Do you think a call to your local branch is enough, or do you have to call someone particular in their hierarchy?

Will let you know progress of my action, too.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
working for a bank - i know you need to write to their customer services dept (or equivalent). you should be able to find that on any bank internet site.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
maffew said:
I already pay a £12 per month charge for my banking. What they do with this I dont know or arent that bothered. The money needed for providing cashpoints/call centres/handling direct debits etc is their problem, they make billions of profits from borrowing our money. If more banks start to charge for basic services then its just greed, not a result of people claiming back money deducted from their account illegally.

most of my charges were from the interest on the overdraft taking me over the agreed limit so they say hey ho, lets take another 40-60 quid. Thats just wrong. Its all fully automated so costs them almost nothing. Also if you phone up and warn them this is going to happen they charge you anyway

that's interesting because the last part was stopped by many banks 3 or 4 years ago. my company worked on the systems that prevented that happening.

as for borrowing your money - if it's on current account then it's not something they can actually use to lend out in full. As for deposits, you get interest (granted not much in some cases) but you have instant access to it.

Only longer term deposits (which attract the higher rates) are actually able to be 100% re-lent.

Most bank profits come from bigger lending (mortgages, corporate loans etc.) and speculative investments, futures and markets etc. Personal current accounts actually in many cases just about break even as most costs are incurred to support personal banking.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
eastlondonseagull said:

so when does this rule extend to say food or alcohol? Wouldn't it be great if we only ever paid exactly what it cost for anything?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
eastlondonseagull said:
Good idea. Do you think a call to your local branch is enough, or do you have to call someone particular in their hierarchy?

Will let you know progress of my action, too.

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear. You ring the financial ombudsman himself and they guide you through.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
check out this- a few stages to go through, but could be worth it- recent press reports indicate the banks are more ikely to settle claims (in part or full) rather than waste time going to court, by whuch time any claimant woulkd have (hopefully!) have built a good case..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=304064

i think (dont quote me) that same allpies to credit card over limit / late payment charges.. cant hurt to try!

Last edited:

Sir Alan Duffy

Feb 21, 2007
Essex
HSBC have promised to send me a summary of charges I have incurred over the last 6 years, but I am concerned they may conveniently overlook some of the charges. I was wondering if any of you guys can advise if you too have received a summary only from HSBC (as opposed to a full set of statements) and if so whether they looked accurate.

Cheers in anticipation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here