Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bangkok

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
This is my old post from the other Thailand thread linked, detailing places to possibly avoid and then places to definitely think about.
Will be very hot in Thailand now mate!

I used to live and work in Thailand as a tour op bouncing around between Bangkok and Krabi and everywhere in-between.
If you need any advice on where to go off the beaten track or anything else, give me a shout.

I would suggest thinking twice about:

Bangkok (for longer than 3 days)
Samui
Krabi (Go to Ao-Nang instead, right next door)
Phi-Phi (Difficult one here, happily do the island tours but **** the group trip, pay a longtail driver an extra tenner to take you out for the day and see the sights without the flocks or rush. Also, only do Phi Phi if you do the overnight camping trip there.)
Kanchanaburi (Don't do this with a tour group)
Ko Chang (Too far out of the way and anything you can do here, you can do x100 more on the smaller islands)
Phuket (Worst of the lot, awful place)

Definitely Consider:

Pie (Next to Chaing Mai)
Chaing Mai
Kanchanaburi (NOT a group excursion, DIY)
Koh Samet
Koh Tao (Turtle island, great for diving and lazing on a decent beach)
Koh Phangan (Plenty to do here and do remember that the parties are on every night of the week, not just on full moon)
Koh Angthong (Marine park, follow Alex Garland's footsteps and find 'The Beach')
Ao-Nang (Alternative to Krabi & Phuket but not as in your face and rude)
Khao Sok (floating bungalows near Suratthani, top of my Thailand list)

Please get in touch if you want any info, I love talking Thailand!

Nothing wrong with Phuket, if you think its the worsat of the lot then you have obviously never had the misfortune to end up in Pattaya. Patong is a dive or a paradise, depends on what float your boat, paces like Kata, Karon and Rawai are fantastic places and well away from the Bangla Road girlie crap. Went to a wedding on Ko Samet - really enjoyed the place, and have had many extended trips in Bangkok always finding new things to do and see, so find your 3 day comment bizarre, would a Thai tell a foreigner to not spend more than 3 days in London?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Casanova bar or Cascades bar in Nana Plaza will fulfill your every need

I have a very funny story about one of those bars that I'm not going to share with you!

ferris_ferrit

Feb 1, 2011
Walk the streets and buy the market food. Me and my friend loved "random on a stick" when we were in Thailand. Different thing every night and a little stick to play miniature sword fights with when your done. Occasionally clears the system out as well...

Also, I suggest purchasing a face mask and packing extra facial wipes. It is one dirty city :(

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Avoid koh san road. Lumpini park is excellent, Nana plaza area nearby for amazing value hotels and good nightlife/shopping/girls (the non working ones can be just as fun). Food is incredible. Going back this summer!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I don't know why people bother with Jim Thompsons House unless you are really really really into over-priced silks - boring! You can get the same stuff in any night market for 1/2 the price or less.

Probably depends on your outlook in life.

Cheap markets bore me to death. Jim Thompsons house is a complete contrast to the rest of what Bangkok has to offer.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Left Bangkok few days ago and now on
Koh Tao which is stunning! Went to elephant world near kanchanaburi which was the best experience I've had-it's a sanctuary not trekking so you work hard for them but you go in the river Kwai to wash them etc- id recommend!

We have 2 weeks left,doing Koh Tao,full moon then probs krabi,phi phi,ko lanta then Phuket!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Nothing wrong with Phuket, if you think its the worsat of the lot then you have obviously never had the misfortune to end up in Pattaya.
Pattaya is also a dump, remember this is from my own personal experiences, everyone goes to Thailand for different reasons. I'm sure many will find something in or around Phuket that they like, just not for me or anyone that I've travelled with (18-30 year old backpackers).
have had many extended trips in Bangkok always finding new things to do and see, so find your 3 day comment bizarre, would a Thai tell a foreigner to not spend more than 3 days in London?
I'd say 3 days in BKK is enough for any traveller as there is sooo much more to see in Thailand, it'd be a shame to spend extra days in BKK and lose days at other places.
Remember, this is all based on my own experiences, if we all liked the same things this world would be dull as anything. Feel free to post your own advise about Pooket and Bangkok below as I'm genuinely interested.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Left Bangkok few days ago and now on
Koh Tao which is stunning! Went to elephant world near kanchanaburi which was the best experience I've had-it's a sanctuary not trekking so you work hard for them but you go in the river Kwai to wash them etc- id recommend!

We have 2 weeks left,doing Koh Tao,full moon then probs krabi,phi phi,ko lanta then Phuket!

spent a month on ko tao and ko nang yan back ikn 89 ............beautiful part of the world.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
spent a month on ko tao and ko nang yan back ikn 89 ............beautiful part of the world.

Envy you! Two stunning islands! I have two days left on ko tao and really don't want to leave! Assuming
In 89 it was a tad different mind,I love the place but some areas are pretty pikey!! Still 35 degrees today and a relatively sober night before diving tomorrow!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Envy you! Two stunning islands! I have two days left on ko tao and really don't want to leave! Assuming
In 89 it was a tad different mind,I love the place but some areas are pretty pikey!! Still 35 degrees today and a relatively sober night before diving tomorrow!

we used to take bread into the sea at ko nang yan and feed the giant grouper(s) that used to hang around the underwater structures only 30 -40 mtrs off shore........it is an idyllic , special, there was only half a k of road on ko phang gnan........none on ko tao and about 8 bungalows on ko nang yan..........from what ive heard , samui and phang gnan are like benidorm now......thats progress i suppose......happy diving matey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here